Archive for June, 2013


In 2011, Alsfeldt celebrates 160 years of faithfully serving God. Always part of a multi-point charge when the Evangelical United Brethren Church joined The United Church of Canada, we became a two point pastoral charge with Knox United Clifford.

Read Full Post »


SCOTLAND, a post village in Brant County, Ontario, on Malcolm Creek, and a station on the Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Ry., 6 miles from Burford and between Brantford and Waterford. It contains 2 churches (Congregational and Baptist), a furniture factory, printing office, 10 stores, a hotel, saw mill, cheese factory,
a casket factorv, besides a bank (Crown Bank of Canada). telephone, express and telegraph offices, public library, etc. Pop. 500 …from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer


Read Full Post »

burfordmeth1910Burford Methodist Church 1910

Burford History

Burford was the largest town of the former Burford Township, which included Cathcart, Harley and Princeton. Burford’s ‘downtown’, the intersection of Maple Avenue and King Street (Highway 53), includes a stop light, several small businesses and a post office. The community was founded by Canadians of German, Dutch and British backgrounds. Shortly after the Rebellion of 1837, Burford was the centre of an abortive rebellion in the Western District of Upper Canada led by Charles Duncombe. In 1999, Burford became part of the County of Brant, an amalgamation of several local municipalities including Brantford Township, the town of Paris, Oakland Township, Onondaga Township and South Dumfries Township. The current mayor of the County of Brant is Ron Eddy.

Historically, when tobacco was lucrative, the farms and families surrounding Burford were relatively prosperous. However, when smoking habits began to change in the 1980s, the economy slipped into decline. Currently, farmers are more likely to be growing ginseng for oriental markets than tobacco. Dairy, poultry, hog and fish farming persist and range from large scale commercial operations to subsistence type family farms. The community has lost population since the 1970s and is eager to attract new investment.

burfordmethmoving1902Moving the old church 1902


1815  Rev. Thomas Whitehead

1838  Rev. Edmund Shepherd

1842-1843  Rev. Samuel Rose

1844  Rev. Reuben E. Tupper

1853-1855  Rev. Joseph A. Shepley

1853  Rev. Alexander T. Green

1853  Rev. Matthew Swann

1857  Rev. Orin H. Ellsworth

1858  Rev. Levi White

1858  Rev. Burness Bristol

1860  Rev.  Asahel Hurlburt

1866  Rev. Peter German

1869-1871  Rev. Claudius Byrne Jr

1870-1872  Rev. Edward Morrow

1871  Rev. Rowley Heyland

1871  Rev. David Ryan

1873  Rev. Thomas Jackson

1881  Rev. Abram Longe

1881  Rev. Jacob D. Bloodsworth

1881  Rev. Richard  John Forman

1887-1890  Rev. James Hubert Collins

1897-1899  Rev. Edward John Clarke

Read Full Post »




PARIS, an incorporated town of Brant County, Ontario, at the junction of the Great Western and Buffalo and Goderich divisions G.T.R., 8 miles from Brantford, the county seat. It contains 6 churches (Anglican, Roman Catholic, Methodist. Presbyterian, Baptist and Congregational), about 75 stores, 8 hotels, 2 grist, planing and plaster mills, manufactories of woollens, winceys, needles, wagons, bolts and nuts, 2 branch banks, 2 printing offices issuing weekly newspapers, and telegraph and express offices. The Grand and Nith Rivers are spanned by 7 iron bridges at this town. It has a good system of water works, is lighted with electric light, and is noted for its plaster beds of kaisomine. Paris also has connection with Brantford and Galt via the Grand Valley Electric Ry. Co. Pop. 3,500 ...from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Paris History

The town was first settled on May 7, 1829, when its founder, Hiram Capron, bought the land for $10,000 and built a mill on the present townsite. The town of Paris was officially established in 1856.

Paris was named for the nearby deposits of gypsum, used to make plaster of Paris. Paris is referred to as “the cobblestone capital of Canada” (in reference to a number of aged cobblestone houses)

St. Paul’s United Church

The history of St. Paul’s United Church began in 1840, with the establishment of a Wesleyan Methodist congregation in Paris. Two other branches of Methodism also functioned in Paris by the mid-19th century, the Primitive and German Methodists

In 1874, the Wesleyan Methodists recognized the need for a newer and larger building for its congregation.

The cornerstone of the present building housing St. Paul’s was laid in 1875.

In 1922, the Paris Plains Methodist Church, a small rural church north of Paris, was closed and most of its members came to worship in Paris.

Following church union in 1925, St. Paul’s United Church was formed from the local Methodist, Congregational and Presbyterian churches.

Church Architect:  James Chisholm  (1841-1920)  PARIS, ONT., Methodist Church, 1876 (Christian Guardian [Toronto], 8 March 1876, 78, descrip.; W.G. Pickell, Centenary of St. Paul’s 1840-1940, 8)



1850-1852  Rev. Edwin Clement

1853-1855  Rev. Joseph A. Shepley

1855-1857  Rev. Orin H. Ellsworth

1855-1857  Rev. Thomas W. Jeffery

1855-1857  Rev. Isaac Brock Howard

1858-1859  Rev. Peter Ker

1859  Rev. William Hay

1860  Rev. Richard Potter

1860-1862  Rev. William Smith Griffin

1861  Rev. William Hayhurst

1863  Rev. Thomas Kelly

1863  Rev. James Spencer Jr.

1864-1866 Rev. John Guiness Laird

1864-1867  Rev. George H. Bridgeman

1865  Rev. Thomas Henderson

1865-1867  Rev. George Burson

1866-1869  Rev. John Mills

1867  Rev. John Ferguson German

1868-1871  Rev. Henry Bawtenhimer

1869  Rev. A.  Hepworth

1869  Rev. Richard Pyke

1869  Rev. Stephen Kapelle

1869  Rev. Edward Morrow

1870  Rev.  George Lewis Haight

1870-1872  Rev. John Douse

1871  Rev.  William C. Jolley

1880-1883  Rev. Eardley H. Koyl

1881  Rev. Thomas Brock

1881  Rev.  Amos E. Russ

1886  Rev. Jonathan S. Williamson

1891  Rev.  G. William Calvert

Read Full Post »

bealtonmethwaterford1890Bealton Methodist Church 1890



1889  Rev. James Gordon Foote

Read Full Post »




1865  Rev. Peter German

1902 Rev. E. Sheppard

Read Full Post »



1856  Rev. George Blaker


Read Full Post »



1891-1892  Rev. Henry E.W. Kemp

1894-1896  Rev. David Cattanach

Read Full Post »

AshworthMeth1910Ashworth Methodist Church 1910

Read Full Post »






A post office in Campbell Township, Manitoulin Island, 15 miles south of Gore Bay. It has a Methodist church, a public school and a saw mill. Stage weekly to Gore Bay. Pop, 90. Mail weekly.

William Cormack, Postmaster

…from 1898-99 Eastern Ontario Gazetteer and Directory



1874  Rev. William Sutton

1891  Rev. Henry A. Fish

1924  Rev.  James Baskerville

Read Full Post »

« Newer Posts - Older Posts »