Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for August, 2013

1919AITerryBerryRev. Arthur Isaac Terryberry B.A. was baptized in the Wesleyan Methodist church Pickering  on May 14, 1866 by Rev. G. H. Cornish. (Arthur Isaac, son of Isaac and Jane Terryberry.) He married Laura Mill Treble, April 22, 1899 at Toronto

He was a Methodist minister, and was generally referred to as the “Rev. A. I. Terryberry”.

Rev A.I. Terryberry officiated at death of David S. Hagey, d. 23 Aug 1914 at Preston, ON.

He served as a witness (Rev. A. I. Terryberry of Burford) at the marriage of George Stalley of Brantford and Ellen White, 30 Jul 1889 in Burford Village.

September 2, 1915 Acton Free Press

RevAITerryBerrycropped

1901 Canadian census, Port Rowan  Norfolk Co., ON,
Rev A. I. Terryberry, head, b. 27 Apr 1866 ON, eth German, Meth, minister
Laurie Terryberry, wife, b. 18 Jun 1870 ON, eth English, Meth

1911 Canadian census, Grimsby, Lincoln Co., ON Depot St.

Rev. Arthur I. Terryberry, b. Apr 1866 age 45, b. ON, eth German, Methodist, clergyman
Laura M. Terryberry, wife, b. Jun 1870 age 40, b. ON, eth German, Methodist
Mary L. Terryberry, dau, b. Jun 1902 age 8, b. ON, eth German, Methodist
J. Douglas Terryberry, son, b. Jun 1905 age 5, b. ON, eth German, Methodist
[Living with a domestic, Lilly Given, age 23.]

Charges:

1901 Port Rowan (Norfolk Cty), 1911 Grimsby (Lincoln Cty), 1914 Preston (Waterloo Cty), 1915 Acton (Halton Cty), 1916 Hope Methodist (York Cty)

Read Full Post »

Rev. Peter Bryce was born near Glasgow into a working-class Scotish family in 1869. He later became a Methodist clergyman after immigrating to Canada in 1903.

For most of his career he ministered to the skilled working-class community living around the railway neighbourhood of Earlscourt in Toronto.

He was one of the founding members of the Toronto Neighbourhood Workers Association and as its president between 1916 and 1919 he lobbied for mothers’ pensions.

Rev. Peter Bryce was a reform-oriented Methodist minister in the community of Earlescourt in Toronto, Ontario. Throughout his career he worked on social reform and was particularly well-known for his work with low-income families and for the cause of prohibition. He wrote numerous articles pertaining to the social conditions of Toronto’s working class and served as the Moderator of the United Church of Canada from 1936-1938.

Earlscourt 1910

The spiritual leader of the Earlscourt Community during these difficult times was the Rev. Peter Bryce. Each night, Bryce would trek through Earlscourt’s muddy streets, aided only by a lantern, and a pair of high boots. His visits were said to have offered hope and inspiration to many families.

Rev. Bryce died on December 1, 1950 in Ottawa

RevPeterBryceObitDec1-1950

Charges:

1910 Earlscourt (East York) 1918 Central Methodist Church – Ascot Ave (York Cty), 1923 Woodbine Heights (East York)

Read Full Post »

The history of the congregation goes back to a Sunday School class conducted in the open air in the summer of 1916 by Mrs. Gibson of Hope Methodist Church. (We have been well called, ‘a Child of Hope!’). In the fall a cottage was rented from a Mrs. Wolfe. Rev. Roscoe Smith took charge, and Rev. A.I. Terryberry of Hope Methodist Church visited.

In April 1918, the Methodist Union bought a lot at the corner of Gledhill and Lumsden, and a portable Mission Church was erected which opened May 5, 1918. (Mrs. Florence Simpson (nee Thorton) was number 13 of 13 original members.)

In later years, Rev. Ernest Rands looked back with affection on this little white frame building surrounded by scattered homes. The rural setting explains the importance of the Harvest Home service in those early days. This Church was known as the Gledhill Avenue Methodist Church. It was not always weatherproof as we hear of at least one service when umbrellas had to be used inside the building.

Adam Beck (later Sir Adam) founder of Hydro, held a meeting in this Church. It was packed. He was accompanied by his beautiful daughter.

Rev. J. Stoodley came September 1, 1918. He was rememberedin later yars as being fond of the stuttering song ‘K-K-K-Katie’,

Rev. R.C. Burton came in September 1920 and put on the drive for a new church which culminated in the purchase of four lots at the corner of Woodbine and McMichael (now known as Mortimer), and the laying of the cornerstone on October 8, 1921 by Mr. W.W. Hiltz, Controller of the City of Toronto.

The basement was excavated by Charles Thornton, brother of Mrs. Florence Simpson.

The Church was opened on New Year’s Day, 1922. Among the parishioners were Mr. and Mrs Slimmon, parents of Mr. Carl Slimmon, present custodian, who is thus a link with our early history.

The Church at thsi time was known as the Woodbine Heights Methodist Church.

Its first historian was Mr. W.C. Curtis, a copy of whose history was placed in the cornerstone.

Rev. Joseph R. Real came until June of 1923. He had been, for twenty-five years, a missionary in China.

The Church was ready for the next epoch of its history

Reconstruction

This began September 3, 1923, with the coming of a very remarkable man, Rev. Peter Bryce, who is said to have ‘graced and room he entered’.

He had been instrumental in starting the Star Christmas Fund as far back as 1906, and now he put his great energiesinto building up this Church. His salary at first was only one hundred dollars a month. In November, twenty-five dollars was realized from a  lecture on Newfoundland by Rev. Archer Wallace, the well know Canadian autor, who was summer supply the next year.

In 1925, Rev Bryce founded the Woodbine Brotherhood and donated a set of Carpet Bowls. The same year Union was accomplished and the Church took up the name Woodbine Avenue United Church.

During the preceeding two years, congregations had grown five or six times, making necessary the reconstructionof the Church by adding wings to the original structure.

The cornerstone was laid on January 30, 1926 by Mrs. D.A. Dunlop who had contributed generously to the building fund.

Church architect was John Charles Batstone Horwood (1864-1938)

Evening services were held at the Prince of Wales Theatre with one thousand people attending.

Trustees of the Church were Thomas Munro, W. Thomas, Henry Slade (secretary of the Board and an outstanding layman), J. Craig, and Charles Courtney.

The address was given by the veryRev. George Pigeon, first Moderatorof the United Church, and the preacher of the evening service was Rev. James Endicott, also destined to be Moderator. Rev. Mr. Bryce, within ten years was to occupy the same high position.

While here, he lived at 358 Wolverleigh Blvd., which qualified it for title of ‘The Old Manse’. Up to the time of his death in 1950, he never forgot Woodbine and he came back often for special services. For many years he was Minister of Metropolitan United Church.

The land on which the church stands, was originally part of Lot 7 in the second concession from the Bay of York Township. It is of interest to note that this lot belonged as early as 1820 to Samuel Sinclair, no doubt the same man who gave the site of Don Mills Church, as related in the valuable history of that Church compiled by the Rev. J.C. McDonald and belonging to the same famous clan as Woodbine’s present Minister. …1974 Historical Notes by T.B. Higginson

Read Full Post »

whitbymeth2church1875

WHITBY, an incorporated post town in Ontario County, Ontario, with a junction station on the G.T.R., 30 miles east of Toronto. The town is one mile from the junction, and has a harbour on Lake Ontario, and a branch line on the G.T.R. running northward to Manilla Jct. (33 miles distant). It has 6 churches (Roman Catholic, 2 Episcopal, Presbyterian, Methodist and Baptist), about 25 stores, 3 hotels, a tannery, buckle and 2 pump factories, besides 2 chartered banks (Dominion and Western), 2 printing and newspaper offices (“Ontario Gazette” and “Keystone”), besides telegraph and express offices. Pop. 2,339 …from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

WhitbyGTRStation1909

Whitby Township (now the Town of Whitby) was named after the seaport town of Whitby, Yorkshire, England. In addition to Whitby, Yorkshire, the Town of Whitby is also officially twinned with Longueuil, Quebec and Feldkirch, Austria.

When the township was originally surveyed in 1792, the surveyor, from the northern part of England, named the townships east of Toronto after towns in northeastern England: York, Scarborough, Pickering, Whitby and Darlington. The original name of “Whitby” is Danish, dating from about 867 CE when the Danes invaded Britain. It is a contraction of “Whitteby,” meaning “White Village.” The allusion may be to the white lighthouse on the pier at Whitby, Yorkshire, and also at Whitby, Ontario.’ Although settlement dates back to 1800, it was not until 1836 that a downtown business centre was established by Whitby’s founder Peter Perry.

Whitby’s chief asset was its fine natural harbour on Lake Ontario, from which grain from the farmland to the north was first shipped in 1833. In the 1840s a road was built from Whitby Harbour to Lake Simcoe and Georgian Bay, to bring trade and settlement through the harbour to and from the rich hinterland to the north. The Town of Whitby was chosen as the seat of government for the newly formed County of Ontario in 1852, and incorporated in 1855. In the 1870s a railway, the “Port Whitby and Port Perry Railway”, was constructed from Whitby harbour to Port Perry, and later extended to Lindsay as the “Whitby, Port Perry and Lindsay Railway.”

Whitby is also the site of Trafalgar Castle School, a private girls’ school founded in 1874. The building, constructed as an Elizabethan-style castle in 1859–62 as a private residence for the Sheriff of Ontario County, is a significant architectural landmark and Whitby’s only provincial historic site marked with a plaque.

whitbymethchurch1875Whitby Methodist Church – 1875

A black and white photograph of the interior of the Methodist Episcopal Church. There are several people sitting on the pews (benches) inside the church. The organ can be seen at the back of the church.

The Methodist Episcopal Church was located at the corner of Church and Albert Streets. It was also called the White Church. It was built in 1845 on the east side of Church Street. The Methodist Episcopal Church (White Church) amalgamated in 1884 with the Wesleyan Methodist and Bible Christian Churches. At that time the White Church was closed. The church building was used for a short time by the Salvation Army and in the 1880s or 90s was moved to the north east corner of Baldwin and Roebuck Streets and converted into stores. The building was demolished in the 1920s. The choir leader at the church was Mr. Wyatt.

Opening Up A New Chapel in Whitby

...from the British North American Wesleyan Methodist Magazine

Whitby, July 5, 1842.

Reverend and Dear Sir,

I transmit to you, for insertion in the Wesleyan, an account of the opening of the British Wesleyan-Methodist Chapel in Whitby.

On Sunday, the 3rd of July, the solemn and interesting services appropriate to the occasion were conducted by the Rev. M. Richey, A. M., who in two excellent sermons, directed the attention of the congregation to the foundation, structure and glory of the Christian Church, and to the necessity of strictly adhering to those doctrines which were first delivered to the saints.

The forenoon sermon was taken from Ephesians, 3rd chapter, and the 30th and two following verses :- ” And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; in whom all the building fitly framed together, groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord ; in whom ye also are bnilded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.”

The Rev. gentleman, during the progress of this discourse, insisted in strong and emphatic terms, that in order to be come lively stones in this spiritual edifice, it was essentially necessary to build upon the true corner stone – the living foundation – “Jesus Christ himself ;” he contended that there was no mediator between God and man but the man Christ Jesus, and that the apostles themselves were but instruments, Divinely inspired indeed, but at the same time they were only instruments in the promulgation of Gospel truth.

After exhorting the congregation to examine themselves whether they could lay any claim to the character of living and constituent portions of the Church of Christ, he concluded an admirable discourse, by observing that the person who built upon any other foundation, was like the man who built his house upon the sand, who when the rain descended, and the winds blew and beat upon that house, it fell, and great was the fall of it.

The sermon in the afternoon was a practical continuation of the one delivered in the morning ; it was founded on the 3d chapter of Acts, and 43d verse – “And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.”

The chapel, both in the morning and afternoon, was densely crowded, and the congregation seemed to listen with deep interest to the word of truth. – After the close of each sermon, a collection was made to assist in defraying the expenses of the chapel ; a small portion of debt only, we are happy to state, remaining unpaid.

The opening of this chapel under such auspicious circumstances, forms a striking and delightful contrast to the state of the society in this place a year ago. At that period, there was no regular service at all, and but four individuals were united with us in Church fellowship, who attended divine service as often as practicable at Mr. Long’s chapel, four miles distant. But they were a faithful and united few; and though to all human appearance feeble in influence, as well as in numbers, yet they had power with Him who rules the universe. Often did they meet together and talk of the goodness of God, and unite in prayer for the Spirit’s influence upon the neighbourhood, and for a revival of the work of God. And in an especial manner did they pray, that believers might be watered by the refreshing showers of divine grace. God heard their prayers, and granted to them their hearts’ desire.

Preaching was established once a fortnight, first in a barn, and then in a dwelling house.

Numbers attended the ministry of the word, many of whom were brought to see the necessity of applying to Christ for pardon and remission of sins. It was indeed a lovely scene to witness those who had not only stood aloof from the cause of Christ, but had also persecuted and opposed us, presenting their broken, but fervent petitions before the throne of God, and crying in the language of the Publican,

” God be merciful to me a sinner.” If was truly delightful to see them stand before the faithful followers of Christ, acknowledge that God of a truth was among them, and say – ” This people shall be my people, and their God my God.”

During the month of February, of the present year, a protracted meeting was commenced, when there was a general turning to the Lord among all classes of the community, and numbers were they who for the purpose of ridicule “came to mock, but remained to pray.”

The meeting continued between two and three weeks; and during the whole of that period, in that inclement season of the year, and despite of the badness of the roads, night after night, the house was crowded to excess, and the people listened with profound interest to the messengers of truth.

At the conclusion of the meeting, between thirty and forty persons united with the society. Some of them, indeed, have lost their first love, and have turned back again to the beggarly elements of the world, but the greater part are rejoicing in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made them free – are walking under the smiles of his countenance, and pressing towards the heavenly Canaan with their faces thitherward.

May Almighty God preserve them, and “add unto the Church daily such as shall be saved.” – It is highly gratifying to be able to state, that we are to have a regular service in the new chapel every Sunday, and that several neighborhoods, both in Pickering and Whitby, are supplied with our Preaching.

“Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto thy name be all the glory.”

I remain, respectfully your’s,

George Flint.

1869-1870 Whitby District
Whitby & Oshawa, Pickering, Markham, Bowmanville, Newcastle, Prince Albert, Uxbridge, Scugog, Brock, Beaverton Stouffville, Cartwright, Manvers

Members:

James B. Bickle

Ministers:

1813  Rev. Thomas Whitehead  (Smith’s Creek)

1826  Rev. James Wilson

1828-1829  Rev. Robert Corson

1829  Rev. Conrad Vandusen

1830  Rev. Hamilton Biggar

1831  Rev. William Patrick

1831-1832  Rev. James Norris

1831-1832  Rev. David Youmans

1832  Rev. James Musgrove

1835  Rev. Thomas Fawcett

1836-1839  Rev. John Lever

1837-1838  Rev. Horace Dean

1840  Rev. James Spencer Jr.

1840  Rev. Robert Darlington

1843  Rev. Samuel Belton

1844  Rev.  Alvah Adams

1844  Rev. John Baxter

1844  Rev. George Carr

1845  Rev. John Garnett

1845 Rev. David Wright

1845-1849  Rev. Herman Davis

1846  Rev. David C. Clappison

1848-1851  Rev. Thomas Adams

1850  Rev. William Philip

1851  Rev. John Hayward

1852-1853  Rev. David C. McDowell

1855  Rev. Alexander Drennan

1856-1858  Rev. William Willoughby

1858-1859  Rev. Alfred L. Andrews

1859  Rev. John Hunt

1859-1861  Rev. Francis Coleman

1860-1862  Rev.  Lewis Warner

1860-1863  Rev.  J.F.F. Dickson

1862  Rev. Abraham  Dayman

1863  Rev. Francis Berry

1862-1868  Rev. John Law

1863-1865  Rev. George Cochrane

1864-1865  Rev. Ebenezer Will

1866  Rev. Joseph L. Sanders

1869  Rev. George Leech

1869-1870  Rev. Thomas Cosford

1871  Rev. Robert Sanderson

1874-1876  Rev. John Stokes Clarke

1878-1880  Rev. J. Wilks

1881  Rev. Charles Simpson

1881  Rev Samuel Salton

1889-1890  Rev. Edward Barrass

1908-1910  Rev. Edward Howard

Read Full Post »

NewcastleMeth1867Newcastle was incorporated as a town in 1856. It remained a small community until the 1990s, when new residential development began and the population quickly swelled. Newcastle had a jail in the late 1800s. Maps of Newcastle from those years have not been discovered. Many have tried to find the location of this jail; however, it is believed that it was either demolished or had been destroyed by the elements. There are jail cells in the Newcastle Community Hall.

Newcastle is filled and surrounded by agriculture farms raising cattle, pigs, apples, grain, and corn. Newcastle has a beautiful community hall, donated by the Massey family, one public high school (Clarke), one public elementary school (Newcastle Public School), one Catholic elementary school (St. Francis of Assisi), a post office, churches, a few plazas, several small parks, six restaurants, Tim Hortons, a new recreation complex, an ice arena, fire hall, two grocery stores, professional offices, hardware stores, a marina on Lake Ontario, and a golf course

The first Post office was opened in Newcastle in 1845 with John Short serving as Postmaster. Since 1845, there had been a total of 10 Postmasters in the village- Charles Gray being the last in 1991.

  • Joseph E. Atkinson (December 23, 1865 – May 7, 1948) was a Canadian newspaper editor and activist. Under his leadership the Toronto Star became one of the largest and most influential newspapers in Canada.
  • Daniel Massey, whose farm implement business eventually formed Massey-Ferguson.
  • Early settlers using sticks and spears could catch as many as 100000 salmon in one night from streams running into Lake Ontario. One man who had a great influence on the village was Samuel Wilmot. He became interested in the salmon as early as 1860 and built a “fish hatchery” at Newcastle – one of the world’s first. Wilmot would eventually become head of fisheries for Canada, and in the 1890s he was running a small generating station which supplied Newcastle with its first electrical power – from sunset until about 12:00 midnight.…from Wikipedia.com

Members:

Richard Osborne

Henry Middleton

James P. Lovekin

Ministers:

1842-1843  Rev. John Baxter

1843-1844  Rev. John W. Black

1844  Rev. James Hales

1844   Rev. William Coleman

1844  Rev. Thomas Demorest

1846  Rev. Robert Darlington

1847  Rev. William Price

1847-1848  Rev. Nassau C. Gowan 

1848  Rev. George Goodson 

1851 Rev. T. Reed

1852-1853 Rev. John English

1853  Rev. James C. Slater

1854 Rev. J. Hutchinson

1854-1855  Rev. William S. Blackstock

1855  Rev. John C. Ash

1855  Rev. William McFadden

1855  Rev. William Bothwell 

1856  Rev. Thomas O. Adkins

1856-1858  Rev. William Philip

1857  Rev. Edward Cragg

1858 Rev. W. Edward Walker

1859  Rev. James Graham

1859-1861  Rev. Francis Coleman

1861  Rev. George Henry Cornish

1862  Rev. Thomas Brock

1862  Rev. Isaac Brock Aylesworth

1862  Rev. J. McCann

1863  Rev. James Hannon

1863-1865 Rev. Alexander Campbell

1864  Rev. Edward Morrow

1866  Rev. Andrew B. Chambers

1866-1867  Rev. William McCullough

1867  Rev. Daniel E.F. Gee

1867-1869  Rev. Thomas Cleghorn

1868 Rev.  James A. McClung

1869  Rev. Richard W. Williams 

1871  Rev. William McDonagh

1872 Rev. Christopher L. Thompson

1873  Rev. Isaac Brock Aylesworth

1873 Rev. Robert Newton Hill

1874-1876 Rev. Peter Addison

1874 Rev. Andrew W. Ross

1875-1876 Rev. Jabez Wass

1876-1878 Rev. William Henry Emsley

1877 Rev. Edward Hill

1877  Rev.  William C. Jolley 

1877-1879  Rev. Jacob E. Howell

1879-1880 Rev. William James Barkwell

1880-1882  Rev. Jonathan E. Betts

1881 Rev. Thomas P. Steel

1882 Rev. Benjamin Gardiner Greatrix

1883 Rev. William M. Pattyson

1883-1885 Rev. Peter Addison

1884 Rev. A. Richard

1885-1887 Rev. Robert Walker  

1886-1888 Rev. Thomas Dunlop

1888 Rev. James Thom

1889-1890 Rev. George Edwards

1891-1892 Rev. Daniel E. F. Gee

1893 Rev. Robert M. Pope

1893-1894 Rev. Joseph R, Real

1894-1895 Rev. G. H. Copeland

1896-1898 Rev. Robert Taylor

1899-1902 Rev. Thomas J. Edmison

1903-1906 Rev. John C. Wilson

1907-1910 Rev. A. M. Irwin

1911-1914 Rev. George R. Clare

1915-1918 Rev. John A, Connell

1919- 1921 Rev. Hamilton S. Spence

1922-1924 Rev. Enoch R. Cooke

Read Full Post »

ListowelMeth

LISTOWELL. an incoroorated town in Perth County, Ontario, on the Lake Erie and Detroit River, and on Palmerston and Kincardine branches of the G.T.R.. 8 miles from Palmerston. 27 miles from Stratford. It contains 9 churches, about 40 stores, 3 hotels, 2 branch banks, a public library, several mills and factories, 2 printing offices issuing weekly newspapers. Pop. (census 1901) 2.693  ...from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Town History

Settler John Binning arrived in 1857 and was the first to create a permanent residence in the area. The community was originally named Mapleton, but the name was changed when a post office was established. The new name was chosen by a government official and refers to Listowel, Ireland. The majority of early settlers were of Protestant Irish origin (Ulster Scots Planters, or English Planters). Incorporated in 1867 as a village and in 1875 as a town, Listowel is now part of the town of North Perth…from Wikipedia.com

ListowelOntGTR1910

Listowel GTR Station – 1910

 

per m ListowelWallace

1869-1870 Guelph District

Guelph, Georgetown, Erin, Rockwood, Elora, Fergus, Peel, Galt, Drayton, Washington, Berlin, Preston, Heidelberg & Grey, Listowel, Teviotdale, Millbank, Arthur, Mount Forest

Members:

William Edward Billing (1851-1928) Church Architect

John Waldron Scott

Annie West

Ministers:

1866-1869  Rev. William W. Shepherd

1867  Rev. John Armstrong

1867  Rev. Thomas W. Jackson

1867-1871  Rev. Joseph E. Sanderson

1868  Rev. William Watson Edwards

1868  Rev. Edwin Anning Chown 

1870-1871  Rev. Nelson  Brown 

1871  Rev. Henry Berry

1871-1873  Rev. John Gardiner Scott

1874-1875  Rev. John W. Cooley

1875-1876  Rev. Matthew Swann

1879-1881  Rev. Robert Fowler

1884-1886  Rev. George Buggin

1887-1889  Rev. John Wesley Gilpin

1888  Rev. Francis E. Nugent

1890-1892  Rev. Thomas Amy 

 

Read Full Post »

MountBrydgesUC1ONsepia

Mount Brydges has a small commercial “downtown” featuring mostly local businesses and shops. Local agriculture includes maize, tobacco and wheat. The soil composition of the region is largely sandy (a phenomenon referred to locally as the “Caradoc Sand Plains”) as a result of deposits created on the bottom of the glacial Lake Whittlesey which covered the area approximately 13,000 years ago.

The village came into existence as a result of the construction of the western division of the Great Western Railroad from City of London, Ontario to Windsor, Ontario, at the point where it crossed the existing road from Delaware, Ontario to Strathroy. This crossing happened to be at the point of greatest elevation on this division, the railroad having just climbed out of the valley of the Thames River from London. The station was named for Charles John Brydges the Managing Director of the Railroad. Contrary to a previous suggestion the name had nothing to do with an early settler named Mount, who had left the area more than two decades earlier.…from Wikipedia.com

Delaware History
The first white settlement of Middlesex County was here, in the old hunting grounds of the Huron and Mississauga peoples. Ronald McDonald patented the land on which Delaware Village stands in 1798. He sold it to Dr Oliver Tiffany, whose brother Gideon arrived in 1802 to plan the village, the old village just north of the present village. The present village was established in 1832 when Henry Rawlings built the first house, which also housed the first hotel, known as the Western Hotel. This stood on the south side of Commissioner’s Road.
…from “One-day trips through the history of Southwest Ontario” http://www.herontrips.com/

1869-1879 London District
London City, London South, London North, St. Thomas, Ingersoll, Salford, St. Mary’s, Aylmer, Fingal, Tyrconnell, Westminster, Port Stanley, Warwick, Strathroy, Adelaide, Mt. Brydges, Arkona, Exeter, Lucan, Ailsa Craig, Park Hill, Nissouri, Belmont, Dorchester Station

Ministers:

1858  Rev. Thomas Brock

1861-1862  Rev. Edward Cragg

1863-1865  Rev. George Kennedy

1866=1867  Rev. John Hough

1866-1869  Rev. James Henry Kennedy

Read Full Post »

StrathconaMethAlta1908Metropolitan Methodist Strathcona Alberta 1908

StrathconaCornerstone

Ministers:

1911  Rev. Arthur H, Schultz

Read Full Post »

Professor A.D. Miller, formerly Dean of the Faculty at Alberta College, who has been allocated by the Methodist Conference to Bentley Church, arrived in town on Wednesday with Mrs. Miller and family, proceeded to his new home. Prof Miller, who is moving to the country for reasons of health, will be a great acquisition to Bentley – Lacombe Guardian – June 25, 1915

Read Full Post »

Ministers:

1911  Rev. O.E. Mann

1915  Prof. A.D. Miller

Read Full Post »

« Newer Posts - Older Posts »