Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for September, 2013

LucknowUCBruce
LUCKNOW, a post town in Bruce County, Ontario, on Nine Mile River, and a station on the G.T.R., 16 miles south-east of Kincardine. Its port is on Lake Huron. It contains 4 churches (Methodist, Presbytenan, Roman Catholic and Episcopal), 12 stores, 3 hotels, woollen, grist, saw and planing mills, 1 furniture factory, 1 private bank and branches of the Bank of Hamilton and Molsons Bank, 1 newspaper (“The Sentimel”) telegraph and express offices. Pop. 1,500  .…from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

bru m LucknowKinloss

History

LUCKNOW – A small village in the township of Kinloss, County of Bruce, Ontario. It was formerly part of the Teeswater, Kincardine, and Wawanosh Missions.

Lucknow boasts a strong Scottish heritage that reaches back to the late 1800s where the Lucknow Caledonian Games boomed for about 20 years. Lucknow’s welcome sign honours Donald Dinnie a folk hero of Lucknow. This champion wrestler and heavyweight athlete of the world competed in the Games in Lucknow in 1882. Although he had no ties with the community he remains part of the lore.

The village was named after Lucknow, India where, in 1857, a battle Indian Rebellion of 1857 took place between the native rebels and the British army. Lucknow takes the name of “Sepoy” which refers to the Indian foot soldiers who fought on the British side in the Relief of Lucknow. There are two theories about the origin of the name of Campbell Street-one is that the main street was named after Sir Colin Campbell, leader of the relief forces. The other is that the street is named after Malcolm Campbell, the community’s first merchant. Several Lucknow streets bear the names of some of the British generals involved in the Relief of Lucknow: Campbell, Ross, Outram,Havelock, Willoughby, Rose and Canning.

Eli Stauffer first settled the unnamed land that was to become Lucknow in 1856 where he constructed a dam and built a sawmill. In 1858, Ralph Miller purchased a parcel of Stauffer’s land and built “Balaclava House”, a log tavern. James Somerville purchased the Stauffer mill and land rights in 1858 and had village lots surveyed, earning Somerville the title of the “Father of Lucknow”. With the “Gravel Road” open into Kinloss in 1866, the village continued to grow and had a population of 430 in 1868…from Wikipedia.com

LucknowGTR1909

Lucknow GTR Station – 1909

A Brief History

The village of Lucknow came into existence on September 21st, 1858.

In 1862 the new Wesleyan Mission – Lucknow was formed. The Quarterly Board Minutes of 1867 list the points on the mission as Lucknow, Hope, Harris, Durham Line, Millers and Mathers.

Meetings in the village of Lucknow were first held in a school house on Havelock Street (the old Lucknow Public School) until January 8th, 1968.

In 1870 a church and parsonage were finished and people were becoming more versed and established in doctrines and principles of Methodism. This building was later moved. Over a period of years it was used as a blacksmith shop, a livery business, a garage, a fire hall and a feed store, before being demolished in 1977.

By 1875 the Wesleyan Church was too small. A twenty-four foot addition was made, with a gallery at the end and two class rooms. A chandelier was added, and the building was painted and varnished with re-opening services held on November 21st, 1875. The cost of the improvements was over $650.00. Lucknow became a single charge with 104 members in 1878.

An 1883 issue of the Lucknow Sentinel mentions that Union Services of the Presbyterian and Methodist congregations were held periodically – with record attendances. On Sunday, December 6th, 1885 a new church building on the corner of Havelock and Campbell streets was opened and dedicated.

In February 1886, the church adopted the envelope system for raising the ministers salary and also collected pew rents which, it seemed, were not easy to collect. Anyone considering membership was on trial for a period of time and a member could be expelled for a misdemeanor. It was recommended that the pastor be granted a free pew.

In 1909 a pipe organ was installed at the agreed upon price of $1,300.00.

In 1913 a bell was purchased from McShane Bell Company, Baltimore. The cost was $329.00 and it was guaranteed for fifteen years. It was rung before the services, during a funeral procession of any member and sometimes as a fire bell. A church shed, where the present day bowling alley is located, was kept in good condition for the horses and buggies. The acetylene gas lighting system was replaced in 1920 by electric lighting.

In the early 1900’s the sacrament was referred to as the Love Feast. In 1909, there were heated discussions concerning the important celebration and pew communion was introduced. Church union was first discussed as early as 1912. In 1924, a resolution was passed and sent to the Federal and Provincial Governments of approval of the union. The Lucknow Methodist Church and the Lucknow Presbyterian Church became Lucknow United Church on June 10th, 1925.

A new shed was built in 1928 and the organ was rebuilt and electrified in 1950. Various upgrades were completed over the 1950’s to the church and the parsonage. In February 1959, the Trustees were authorized to purchase the property to the immediate north of the church for the purposes of building something to relieve the overcrowding at Sunday School. Purchase price: $7,200.00. The official opening of the new manse and Christian Education wing was on April 20th, 1969.

Notes for this summary are taken from “What Do Those Stones Mean to You?” A History of Lucknow United Church 1862-1985 – including the 2 quotes noted above. Copies of this very informative book are still available at the Church.

Members:

Ministers:

1862 Rev. David Ryan

1863-1864 Rev. Elias Wetmore Frazee

1865-1967 Rev. William Tucker

1867  Rev. William Walker 

1868-1869 Rev. Nelson Brown

1870-1872 Rev. Henry Kellam

1873 Rev. William Tucker

1873 Rev. John S. Fisher

1876-1877 Rev. Thomas Robert Clarke

1881  Rev. Richard Coe Henders

1886  Rev. Francis E. Nugent

1888  Rev. Josiah Greene 

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Rev. James Allen

Charges:

1869 Lucan (Middlesex Cty)

Read Full Post »

LucanUC2

LUCAN. a flourishing post village in Middlesex County, Ontario, on the Sauble River, and a station on the G.T.R.. 16 miles from London. It contains 4 churches (Roman Catholic, Episcopal, Methodist and Presbyterian), 1 broker’s office. express and telegraph offices, 2 foundries, 2 flouring mills, flax mill, about 15 stores, 3 hotels, 1 printing office, 2 chartered banks (The Merchants and The Standard), 1 high school, and has an extensive export trade in grain. A weekly newspaper is published here (“The Sun”). Pop. 1.200  .…from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

mid m LucanBiddulph

History

Despite being more than 500 km (310 mi) to the North, in 1829, the area became a refuge for a group of free slaves from Cincinnati, Ohio who were under threat of being enslaved again, as a result of the Black Codes in Ohio. This group of roughly 200 disenfranchised Blacks were granted refuge and land by the Canada Company and duly set up a colony named Wilberforce. This was one of the earliest, if not the earliest, slave refuge colony in Upper Canada and existed before emancipation. The flight of Blacks northward into Canada beginning around this time was part of the Underground Railroad.

Most of the Blacks came from city life and did not adapt well to the harsh farming environment. Large lots of land were cleared (logged) and efforts were made to sustain the colony, but much of it dwindled through the 1840s and many of the original colonists moved on to larger, growing urban centres such as Detroit, Cleveland or Toronto to obtain wage-based employment. A small number remained on to work the land through subsequent generations.

The area was then further logged and settled by whites, many from Ireland, some of whom purchased farmsteads from the departing Blacks or new lots sold to them cheaply by the Canada Company. Nowadays less than 40 descendants of the ancestorial Blacks remain.

After this time, about 1850, the majority of the township’s landholders were Irish Catholics, a large number originating from then-meagre farming lands in County Tipperary, Ireland.

An important railway route belonging to the Grand Trunk Railway opened in 1856, passing through the village. The village and surrounding township prospered as a result of quicker access to larger marketplaces, such as Toronto farther to the east, and new immigrants settling the area.

LucanOntGTR1910

Lucan GTR Station – 1910

Biddulph Township is also known for being the site of the brutal February 4, 1880 massacre of five of the Black Donnellys, an immigrant Irish family caught up in a long-standing local feud. This story has been written about many times and is etched into the criminal history of rural Ontario and is also known throughout the rest of Canada and the United States…from Wikipedia.com

Lucan was founded in anticipation of the construction of the Grand Trunk Railway to Sarnia, projected in 1854 and built 1855-59. The first settlers had been members of the Negro Wilberforce Colony in 1830-35. One of this group, Peter Butler Sr., had by 1855 acquired the western part of the site of Lucan. The eastern part was acquired jointly by the Hon. Donald and John MacDonald, and the first village lots were sold in 1855. A steam grist mill, stores and hotels were built. Lucan Post Office was opened on June 1, 1857, and, with the completion of the railway, the settlement prospered. The Lucan Foundry, a large plant specializing in agricultural machinery, was founded in 1861. A county by-law passed in 1871 provided for the incorporation of Lucan as a village.

In 1829 a group of fugitive Negro slaves in Cincinnati decided to seek a more secure refuge in Canada. In 1830, with the help of Quakers in Oberlin, Ohio, they purchased 325 ha of land in this vicinity from the Canada Company. A settlement was established, the first in Biddulph Township, and groups from New England and New York State joined those from Ohio. By 1833 there were thirty-two families, two schools and a sawmill in this settlement, which was named after the great British abolitionist William Wilberforce. One of the earliest Negro colonies in Upper Canada, its population dwindled rapidly in the 1840’s although some families remained for more than a generation.…from Ontario’s Historical Plaques

Church History

LUCAN. A Village in the township of Biddulph, County of Middlesex, Ontario. Exeter Circuit.

Members:

 

Ministers:

1866 Rev. George Kennedy

1867-1868 Rev. William Lund

1869-1871 Rev. George Sexsmith

1869 Rev. James Allen

1870 Rev. John Smiley

1872-1873 Rev. James E. Dyer

1876  Rev. Andrew Edwards

1877  Rev. Benjamin Sherlock

1884-1886  Rev. Robert Davey

1889-1891  Rev. Richard Coe Henders 

1893-1894  Rev. Edwin Anning Chown

1899-1901  Rev. Hugh J. Fair

 

 

Read Full Post »

Rev.  Joseph Reynolds was born in 1811 in Ontario and died on October 16, 1874 at Grimsby. He was received on trial in 1840 at Bath and Amherst Island,

Baptisms:

BAKER Wellington son of Robert and Caroline was born on February 2, 1850 in Marmora, Hastings Cty., and was baptized on May 27, 1850 in Marmora  by Rev. Joseph Reynolds

Charges:

 

1841 Murray, 1842 Buckingham, 1843-1844 Osgoode/Gloucester (Dalhousie), 1845 Hull, 1846 L’Orignal, 1847-1849 Marmora/Hungerford/Rawdon (Hastings Cty), 1850 Napanee Richmond Twp. (Lennox Cty), 1851 Newburg/Ernestown/Fredericksburg, 1852-1853 Demorestville, 1854-1856 Carleton Place, 1857 Tweed/Hungerford (Hastings Cty), 1858 Maitland, 1859-1861 Farmersville, 1862-1863 Welland, 1864-1866 Smithville, 1867-1869 Hiawatha/Otonabee (Peterboro Cty), 1870-1873 Waterford (retired), 1871 Townsend (Norfolk Cty), 1874 Grimsby

Read Full Post »

Rev. Noble Armstrong  was born in Ireland, New Connexion,

In 1848 was received on trial at the Belleville Conference. In 1850 he was sent to Chatham to assist Rev. Samuel Fear. He had been recognized as a minister in the Methodist New Connexion, in Canada; but despite a considerable amount of a peculiar sort of talent, he was not satisfactory with them, and did not prove satisfactory to the Wesleyan body, and after a short time, retired from among them also.

Charges:

1848 Richmond, 1849 L’Orignal, 1850 Grimsby, 1851 retired on account of ill health.

Read Full Post »

 

Rev. John Hyndman

Charges:

1860 L’Original, 1862 Berlin (Waterloo Cty),

Read Full Post »

 

Rev. Samuel Messmore

Charges:

1861 L’Original

Read Full Post »

« Newer Posts - Older Posts »