Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for December, 2014

PEARCE’S HARBOUR, a small fishing settlement on Fogo Island,  Newfoundland, 4 miles from Fogo, and 25 miles from Notre Dame Bay Jct, south of Lewisport, with port there. It has 3 churches (Episcopal, Methodist and Salvation Army), 5 stores, 2 hotels and a telegraph office Pop. 650 ...from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Members:

Ministers:

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

PARTRIDGE HILL, a post settlement in the Province of Alberta, on Ross Creek, 25 miles north-east of Strathcona terminal station, on the Calgary & Edmonton branch of the C.P.R. 192 miles north of Calgary. It has 3 churches (Episcopal, Methodist and Presbyterian). Pop. about 150 ...from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Members:

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

PASSEKEAG, a post village in Kings County, New Brunswick, on the Kentebecasis River, and on I.C.R., 26 miles from St. John. It contains 1 Methodist church, 1 store, 1 grist mill and 1 telegraph office. Pop. about 100 ...from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Members:

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

PARRSBORO. a post town, shipbuilding and extensive shipping point on the north side of Miras Bay. in Cumberland County, Nova Scotia. It is the southern terminus of the Cumberland RR. & Coal ‘Co.’s line, and the shipping port for the Spring Hill coal mines, in the interior of the county. It has 5 churches (Roman Catholic, Presbvterian, Methodist, Baptist and Episcopal), about 25 stores, 4 hotels, 3 banks (agencies of the Union of Halifax, the Nova Scotia and the Commerce Banks), 1 printing and newspaper office (“The Leader”); also 1 manufactory of mocassins, shoe-packs. wood block, planing mill, and wood work factory. 1 manufactory of marine blocks for mounting and repairing wooden vessels, also yards for the building of wooden ships, schooners, etc. About 50 million feet of sawn lumber is annually shipped from this port, besides great quantities of coal. Besides the post office, Parrsboro has also telephone, telegraph and express offices. Pop. 2.800  ...from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Members:

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

PARKHURST. a post village in Lotbiniere County. Quebec, 14 miles from St. Asrapit, on the G.T.R., 20 miles south-west of Point Levi. It contains 1 Methodist church, 1 general store, 1 hotel, 1 grist mill and 1 cheese factory. Pop. 250 ...from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Members:

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

 

Park-HeadUCBruceBW

PARK HEAD, a post village in Bruce County, Ontario,  on Simpson Creek, and on the Wiarton & Owen Sound division of the G.T R. 13 miles west of Owen Sound and 10 miles south of Wiarton. It contains 1 Methodist church. 2 stores, saw and shingle mills, and public hall. Park Head is the junction where the G.T R. line branches off to Wiarton and Owen Sound. Pop. about 200 ...from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

ParkheadGTRStattion1906

Parkhead GTR Stattion 1906

 

Church History:

Part of Allenford-Park Head Pastoral Charge.


Park Head United has been the sole church in our village since 1874. The congregation began as a Wesleyan Methodist church and was part of a circuit that included Hepworth and Zion Amabel. In 1891, the original log church was replaced with the current building. The congregation has been part of the United Church of Canada since 1925.

bru m ParkHeadAmabel

Members:

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

 

PARKERSVILLE

A post office in Stephenson Township, Muskoka District, Ontario 3 miles from
Utterson, on the N & N W Division G T R, its nearest railway station, and 11 miles north of Bracebridge, the nearest banking point. It contains Methodist and Presbyterian churches and public school. Pop, 100.

H Jacobs, Postmaster

Parker William, saw mill

…from 1898-99 Eastern Ontario Gazetteer and Directory

PARKERSVILLE, a post village in Muskoka District Ontario, 3 miles from Utterston, on the G.T.R. It contains 2 churches (Methodist and Presbyterian), 1 store, 1 saw and shingle mill. Pop. 130  ...from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Members:

 

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »