Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for December, 2014

PALERMO, a post village in Halton County, Ontario, 3 miles from Bronte, a station on the Toronto & Hamilton division of the G.T.R., 25 miles west of Toronto, and 13 miles east of Hamilton. It has 2 churches (Episcopal and Methodist), 2 stores, 1 creamery, 1 iron foundry, 1 carpenter shop, 2 blacksmith shops, besides telegraph and telephone offices. In the season considerable fruit is shipped from this place. Pop. 120 ...from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Members:

Ministers:

1851  Rev. Abram R. Roy 

1893-1895 Rev.Benjamin Livingston Cohoe

Advertisement

Read Full Post »

PADDOCK, a village in Kings County, New Brunswick, on the St. John River, 20 miles from Norton, on the New Brunswick Coal & Ry. Co.’s line and I.C.R., 11 miles from Sussex. It contains 4 churches, 3 stores, 1 hotel and saw and grist mills. ...from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Members:

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

PACQUET, a small fishing station in the district of St. Barbe, Newfoundland., on the north-east coast, formerly known as the French shore, 100 miles from Lewisport Station, on the Reid Newfoundland RR. & SS. Co.’s lines inland from Notre Dame Bay. It has 1 Methodist church and school. Pacquet is situate 12 miles from La Scie. Pop. about 100 ...from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Members:

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

lan m Pakenham

PAKENHAM

A vïllage on the C P R , in Pakenham Township, Lanark County, Ontario 30 miles east of Perth, the county seat, and 9 miles north of Almonte, the nearest bank location. It has Anglican, Catholic, Methodist and Presbyterian churches and a public school.

Telegraph G N W and C P R. Telephone connection. Exp, Dom.
Pop, 600.

H H Dickson, Postmaster

Businesses:

Baxter M J Miss, dressmaker
Burrows J F, blacksmith
Christnlann L O, jeweler
Cowan William, shoemaker
Dack G A, propr Commercial Hotel
Dickson H H, grocer
Dickson J L, tinware
Dunnet B W, general store
Ellis .A.H, agricultural implement agent
Ellis G A, butcher
Francis J H, roller mill,
Francis & Brazeau, woolen mill
Gemmell E W, physician
Givens J, blacksmith
Grace P J, hotel
Graham. Alex, div court clerk
Graham Robert, carriagemaker
Halliday Wm, banker,
Harvey Augustine harnessmaker
Hudson William, confectioner
Lesage Alexander, boots & shoes
Lunney W J, harnessmaker
Jaynch John, cooper
1VIcClinton G, tanner
Mayne R H Mrs, grocery
Mayne & McVicar, livery
Murphy J E, physician
Pakenham Drug Co, C M Stewart, Manager
Quackenbush George, barber
Quigley J B, undertaker
Robertson J M, general store
Scott R & Son, general store
Sheehan J Mrs, hotel
Smith John, carriagemaker
Sproule Charles, blacksmith
Steen -L L Miss, milliner
Tait A H. tinsmith
Willoughby Isaac, tailor

…from 1898-99 Eastern Ontario Gazetteer and Directory

PAKENHAM, a flourishing post village in Lanark County, Ontario, on the Mississippi River, with a station on the C.P.R. , 44 miles from Ottawa. It contains 4 churches (Roman Catholic, Episcopal, Presbyterian and Methodist) saw and flour mills, 1 woollen factory, 12 stores, 3 hotels, 1 bank, express and telegraph offices, etc., and has a large trade in lumber and country produce. Pop.  700  ..from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

PakenhamBridge1880

Pakenham Bridge – 1880

The Pakenham area is known for Mount Pakenham, a popular skiing location near Pakenham, and the five-arch stone bridge across the Mississippi River. Built in 1901, it is the only five-arch stone bridge in North America.

Members:

 

Ministers:

1842 Rev. Hannibal Mulkins

1850-1851 Rev. Thomas W. Constable

1851 Rev. David Robertson

1858 Rev. Robert Hobbs

1861-1863 Rev. George H. Case

1862-1863 Rev. William Hayhurst

1867-1869 Rev. John C. Ash

1869-1871 Rev. William Tomblin

1876 Rev. William F. English

1878-1881 Rev. Stephen Bond

1923 Rev. H.H. Hillis

Read Full Post »

sim m PainswickInnisfil

PAINSWICK, a post village in Simcoe County, Ontario, 3 1/2 miles from Allandale, on the G.T.R. It contains 1 Methodist church, 1 store, 1 blacksmith shop and 1 flour mill. Pop. 150 ..from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Members:

 

Ministers:

1840 Rev. Michael Fawcett

Read Full Post »

yor m HartmanWhitchurch.jpg  5478×4206

PAARDEBERG, (Hartman) a post hamlet in York County, Ontario, on the Black River, 4 1/2 miles from Mount Albert, on the Toronto Sutton & Jackson’s Point branch of the G.T.R., and on the Canadian Northern Ontario Ry., 12 miles north of Stouffville Jct., also 6 miles east of Newmarket, on the G.T.R., 34 miles north of Toronto. It has 1 Methodist church and 1 flour and feed mill. ...from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Members:

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

 

 

 

 

WoodstockMethNB

Woodstock Methodist Church

OldWoodstockMethodistCemetery

Old Methodist Cemetery is a 2.2 hectare cemetery on Mountain Road in Woodstock, bounded on the west by the bank of the Meduxnekeag River and sheltered from neighbouring streets by residential properties and foliage. The terraced grounds include many flowering trees, bushes, and a wooded area that slopes to the River. The historic place designation applies to the whole cemetery.

Old Methodist Cemetery is designated a Local Historic Place for being a locally important heritage cemetery for its historic, cultural, and environmental value.

Although commonly referred to as “The Old Methodist Cemetery,” people of many denominations were buried here and a Roman Catholic section, St. Gertrude’s, predates the Methodist grounds. The oldest burials in the cemetery, those of Irish Roman Catholics, are marked as early as 1831. It is possible that earlier burials exist but are unmarked or the markers have sunk into the ground. In 1845, a consortium of affluent Woodstock Methodists purchased the land adjoining the Roman Catholic cemetery. It is unclear whether the cemetery was originally intended solely for Methodists or if it was opens to all Protestants.

The value of Old Methodist Cemetery also lies in its interpretation as a cultural and social history of early Woodstock. Woodstock’s most influential and wealthy citizens purchased plots at the northern end of the cemetery. Premiers James Kidd Flemming and Hugh John Flemming rest atop the highest terrace of the north end. The Honourable Charles Connell and Lewis Peter Fisher, prominent citizens and local benefactors, also rest here with their families. Paupers and Chinese immigrants are buried in the steep sloping area leading the the Meduxnekeag River, hidden from view from the main part of the cemetery. These graves are usually marked by simple rough stones, indicating a reverence for the dead regardless of wealth or status. The southernmost part of the cemetery is the Roman Catholic section, which for many years was fenced off from the Protestant grounds.

The variety of headstone styles is an intrinsic part of value of the Old Methodist Cemetery. The markers on the highest terraces of the grounds feature markers of granite in many different sizes and designs and display a variety of Christian symbols. The Masonic symbol is also prevalent. The lower terraces feature some markers of granite, one of wood, and an unknown number marked by rocks. The Catholic section is composed mainly of white marble markers, the majority of which are in good repair and legible.

The value of the Old Methodist Cemetery also lies in its landscape. The irregularly shaped lot features many terraced levels, some of which are in a wooded area. There are many flowering bushes and the grounds are regularly maintained. The land is situated on a quiet back street and is bordered to the west by the Meduxnekeag River. The landscape has changed somewhat due to maintenance issues and the removal of the barrier that divided the Catholic and Protestant sections.

Old Methodist Cemetery is also designated because it is the resting place of several people of local and provincial consequence, including Premiers James Kidd Flemming and Hugh John Flemming, Lewis Peter Fisher, and the Honourable Charles Connell.  …from Canada’s Historic Places

Source: Carleton County Historical Society Historic Places File #22

Read Full Post »

BrentonMethYarmouthNS

Brenton Methodist Church

The Brenton Methodist Church is a Gothic Revival influenced building of wood frame construction built in 1885 and located in the rural village of Brenton, Nova Scotia. Municipal heritage designation applies to the building, its adjacent cemetery and the land on which they are situated.

The Brenton Methodist Church is valued for its history as the only church in the village of Brenton; for its continued use after the many rural United Churches of Canada were closed; and for its Gothic Revival influenced architecture.

Prior to the building of this church in 1885, the residents of the village of Brenton had to travel about six kilometres to the neighbouring village of Lake George to attend a place of worship. In 1885, determined to have their own church, the people in the area acquired this hilltop site, built a church and established themselves as a Methodist congregation. In 1925 with the amalgamation of several Baptist and Methodist denominations, the Brenton Methodist Church became part of the United Church of Canada and was subsequently known as the Brenton United Church.

In the late 1950s the United Church of Canada made the decision to close its’ rural churches in Yarmouth County, opting to maintain only one large church in the town of Yarmouth. The members in Brenton, however, felt that the town church was too far away to serve their needs, and assumed the responsibility and the costs of keeping this church open for worship and to provide a Sunday school for the children in the community. In 1982 the members formed a corporate society which they named the Brenton Hilltop Society, and the United Church of Canada deeded the entire property to them. Although the church has stood unused for a number of years, the Brenton Hilltop Society continues to maintain the building as well as the adjacent cemetery, which is still in active use.

BrentonMethYarmouthNS3

The Gothic Revival influenced architecture of the Brenton Methodist Church is exemplified by its wood frame construction, its pointed arch windows and its medium pitched gable roof.

from Canada’s Historic Places

Source: Registered Heritage Property files: Brenton Methodist Church; located at 400 Main Street, Yarmouth, NS, B5A 1G2

 

Members:

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

GraftonStHalifaxBW

The Grafton Street Methodist Church is located atop a hill on Grafton Street in downtown Halifax, Nova Scotia. This Victorian Gothic style church was designed by David Stirling and built in 1868-1869. There is a small cemetery beside the church and the remains of Reverend William Black lie beneath the church. The building, cemetery and property are included in the provincial designation.

The Grafton Street Methodist Church is valued for its historical and spiritual association with Methodism and the creation of the United Church in Canada. The church is also valued for its association with renowned architect, David Stirling.

The Grafton Street Methodist Church was built in 1868-1869 and opened on November 7, 1869. The original wooden church, built in 1852, burned on February 23, 1868, leaving a small cemetery that still exists.

In 1925, the United Church of Canada was created by amalgamating Presbyterians, Methodists and Congregationalists. The first regular service of the Presbyterian Church in Halifax was held on January 18, 1925, in the First Baptist Church, which at that time was on the corner of Spring Garden Road and Queen Street in Halifax. The new congregation was made up of those members of the nine Presbyterian Churches in existence in Halifax and its suburbs who did not want to be part of the new United Church of Canada.

As a result of the church union, Grafton Street Methodist Church was made redundant. It became the home of anti-union Presbyterians in Halifax, hence the name the Presbyterian Church of Saint David. This group of nine congregations purchased the church.

The Grafton Street Methodist Church was designed by David Stirling. Stirling was born in Galashiels, County Roxboroughshire, Scotland and immigrated to Canada about 1847. After designing many buildings in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and Ontario, Stirling designed the Grafton Street Methodist Church in 1865 and had George Blaiklock, an experienced contractor, build the church. The church opened on November 7, 1869.

Designed in the Victorian Gothic style, the Grafton Street Methodist Church is a rare, if not unique, example of this style constructed in brick in the province. The front façade, to the east, is in the Decorated style, and is more typical of Stirling’s later Gothic-Revival style churches than his earlier ones. Grafton Street is the older of Stirling’s two surviving Halifax churches.

The Grafton Street Methodist Church is highlighted by its great front gable with tall Gothic buttresses and five detailed finials that project above the roof line. Most notably, the church was built without a steeple.

GraftonStMethheadstonesHalifax

In 1951, the church hall was expanded to the rear. This expansion replaced the original Sunday School and took up a section of the Methodist burial grounds (1793-1844). As well, Reverend William Black, the founder of Methodism in Atlantic Canada, is buried beneath the Grafton Street Church.

Grafton Street Methodist Church is located in a very busy downtown area, but remains a key property in the urban streetscape. To the south of the church is a library, to the northwest a hotel, and to the east are a variety of colourful shops and eateries. The front façade of the church is very striking and dominates the block. The Grafton Street Methodist Church still holds regular services.

Source: Provincial Heritage Program property files, no. 263, 1747 Summer Street, Halifax, NS.

from Canada’s Historic Places

Members:

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

BoiestownManseNB1875BW

Boiestown Methodist Church Manse

The Methodist Parsonage is a two-storey Classical Revival residence built circa 1875 and is located on a knoll on the north side of Route #625, in the Boiestown region of the Rural Community of Upper Miramichi.

The Methodist Parsonage, or United Church Manse, is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for being the home to the ministers of Boiestown Methodist Church, which later became Boiestown United Church. This building is a good example of rural Classical Revival residential architecture from this era. The front-facing gable roof, the two-storey bay window on the front façade and the returned eaves are key features of this style.

The Methodist Parsonage was built to house the local minister and was constructed shortly after the Boiestown congregation separated from the Nashwaak congregation in 1875. This residence continued as a residence for the local clergy until 1958. It was customary for wedding ceremonies to be held in the Parsonage until the mid-20th century. Many of the local residents were married here. It is also valued for its association with the Fairley family of this area, which was closely associated with the Methodist Church here and was a prominent name within the local business community prior to the turn of the 20th century. The land on which the Methodist Parsonage is located was on formerly Fairley property and many of the Trustees of the Methodist Church were Fairley siblings. Lumber used to construct this place was milled from the local Fairley mill.

Source: Rural Community of Upper Miramichi, Community Office, Site File# 09-02

from Canada’s Historic Places

Members:

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

« Newer Posts - Older Posts »