Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for January, 2015

ManversStationCPR1910

Manvers Station CPR – 1908

MANVERS STATION

A post office on the C P R, in Manvers Township, Durham County, Ontario
35 miles northwest of Cobourg, the county seat. Nearest bank at Millbrook.
It contains a Methodist church and common school.  Dom Exp, Telegraph,   C P R. Pop 65.

William Porter, Postmaster

Barnecutt John, saw mill
Porter William, general store

…from 1898-99 Eastern Ontario Gazetteer and Directory

MANVERS STATION, a post settlement in Durham County, Ontario, and a station on the C.P.R., 18 miles south-west of Peterboro. It contains a Methodist church, store and express and telegraph offices. Pop. 25  …from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Members:

 

Ministers:

 

Read Full Post »

duf m MansfieldMulmur

MANSFIELD, a post settlement in Dufferin County, Ontario, on the Boyne River, 5 miles from Everett, on the G.T.R, (Beeton & Collingwood branch), 11 miles north-west of Beeton. It contains 2 churches (Presbyterian and Methodist), 1 store, and 1 grist and chopping mill, and 1 wagon factory. Pop. 150  …from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

 

Read Full Post »

car m ManotickGower n

MANOTICK, a post village in Carleton County, Ontario, on the Rideau River, 5 miles from Manotick Station, on the C.P.R. (Ottawa & Prescott branch) and 14 miles from Ottawa, It contains 3 churches (Episcopal, Presbyterian and Methodist), 8 stores, 2 hotels, grist and provender mills, 1 bung and spile factory, 1 branch bank, besides express and telegraph offices. Pop. 400 …from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Read Full Post »

vic m ManillaMariposa

MANILLA

A village in Mariposa Township, Victoria County, Ontario 12 miles west of Lindsay, the county seat and 11 miles northwest of Manilla Junction, on the Midland
Division G T R, its nearest railway point. Nearest bank at Cannington. It contains
Methodist, Presbyterian, Baptist and Congregatioanl churches and public schools. Stage twice a day to Manilla Junction. Telegraph GNW, Exp, Can. Pop, 200.

Mrs. Mary Ockendon, Postmistress

Businesses:

Carter George, general store
Clarke S J, blacksmith
Coone M, general store
Douglas George, general store
Gillespie A, physician
King D, blacksmith
McFayden Flora Mrs, milliner
McLean E Miss, dressmaker
Mintern Norman, harnessmaker
Moore John, agricultural implements
Park W H, hotel
Pearce G M, hotel
Whitesmith Isaac, jeweler

…from 1898-99 Eastern Ontario Gazetteer and Directory

MANILLA, a post village in Victoria County, Ontario, 2 miles from Manilla Junction, on the Midland division of the G.T.R., 13 miles from Lindsay and 6 miles from Blackwater Jct. It has 2 churches (Methodist and Baptist), 3 stores, 1 hotel, besides telegraph office. Pop. 250  …from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Members:

 

Ministers:

1869 Rev. William S. Renous

Read Full Post »

MALLORYTOWN

A village on the G T R, in Yonge Township, Leeds County, Ontario 12 miles southwest of Brockville, the county seat and nearest bank location. It contains Methodist and Presbyterian churches and a public school. Stage daily to Athens. Pop 300. Telgraph  G N W. Telephone connection. Exp Can.

R W Tenant Postmaster

Businesses:

Barnett F W, general store
Booth R L, grocer
Chassels William, tailor
Chick William, stoves
Cole I & Son, furniture
Guilde A S, blacksmith
Heaslip R E, grocer
Hodge David, furs
Kelly Bros, general store
Kelly H Mrs, grocery
Lane J W, physician
Mallory A W, cheese factory
Mallory D S, general store
Mallory G W, hop grower
Mallory Thomas, blacksmith
Mallory  J, bailiff
Tackaberry J F, agricultural implements
Union Cheese Factory

…from 1898-99 Eastern Ontario Gazetteer and Directory

MALLORYTOWN, a thriving post village in Leeds County, Ontario, 2 miles from the St. Lawrence and a station on the G.T.R., 13 miles west of Brockville. It contains 2 churches (Presbyterian and Methodist), 5 stores, 2 cheese factories, 1 bank (Crown), and 1 express and 2 telegraph offices. Pop. 200  ….from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Members:

 

Ministers:

1861 Rev. William Bothwell

Read Full Post »

gre m MaitlandAugusta

MAITLAND

A village on the St Lawrence river and on the G T R, in Augusta Township,
Grenville County, Ontario 6 miles northeast of Brockville, the county seat
and nearest bank location. It contains Anglican and Methodist churches
and a public school. Pop 200. Telephone connection.

Frank Durnbrille Postmaster

Businesses:

Baker J P, blacksmith
Doyle Patrick, hotel
Dumbrille Frank, general store
Keller E, grocer
Laforataine M W, contractor
Stonia Bros, lime kiln

…from 1898-99 Eastern Ontario Gazetteer and Directory

MAITLAND a post village in Grenville County, Ontario, and a station on the G.T.R., 5 miles from Brockvllle, the county seat, and 6 miles from Prescott. It contains 2 churches, 2 stores. 1 hotel, 2 cheese factories, 1 wagon factory, a vinegar factory. Pop. 200  …from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Members:

 

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

sim m KirkvilleNottawasaga

MAIR’S MILLS (or KIRKVILLE), a post settlement in Simcoe County, Ontario, on Silver Creek, 3 miles from Collingwood Station, on the G.T.R. with port on Georgian Bay. It has a Methodist church, general store and a grist and chopping mill. Pop. about 50  .…from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Read Full Post »

MAHAFFY,. a post office in Perth County, Ontario, 5 miles from Mitchell, a station on the Stratford & Goderich branch of the G.T.R., 13 miles north-west of Stratford and 12 miles south-east of Seaforth. There is a Methodist church in the vicinity.                           .…from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Read Full Post »

MAGUIRE, a pretty rural settlement in Middlesex County, Ontario, on the Aux Sables River, 4 miles from either Centralia or Clandeboye Stations on the G.T.R. (London & Wingham branch), about 25 miles north-west of London. It has a Methodist church and a general store. Pop. 12  .…from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Read Full Post »

MAGNETAWAN, a post village in Parry Sound District, Ontario, on the Magnetawan River, which falls into the Georgian Bay at Byng Inlet. It is situate 15 miles west of Burk’s Falls, a station on the Toronto & North Bay division of the G.T.R., 48 miles south of Callander and 25 miles north of Huntsville. It has 4 churches (Episcopal, Presbyterian, Methodist and Lutheran), 6 stores, 1 hotel, flour and saw mills, 1 sash and door factory, besides telegraph office. Pop. 450  .…from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Read Full Post »

« Newer Posts - Older Posts »