Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for February, 2015

Rev. D.D. Franks

Charges:

1895 Dalston (Simcoe Cty)

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

1900evertonmethSepia
Everton Methodist Church History
Everton is a post village near the east line, a little south of the Eramosa and Erin road, 10 miles from Guelph. It contains two stores, a cooper shop, three blacksmith shops, two churches (Methodist and Disciples) a tailor shop, hotel, flouring and saw mill, and 175 inhabitants.

The Everton Mills (flouring) have been established over 30 years. There are four runs of stones, with a capacity of 100 barrels a day  – miller is Henry Hortop

Blooming Rose Lodge, No 829 I.O.G.T was organized about eight years ago. There are 30 members; meets fridays

The Canada Methodist Church is a stone building, seating 200 –  Services at 10am each alternate Sunday Sunday School at 3 pm Rev. John W. Freeman of Rockwood officiates

Disciples Church is a stone building, seating 350. It was erected in 1861 at a cost of $2,500 Services at 11 am Sunday School and Bible class at 4 pm There are 200 members  and R. Royce is the pastor.

Rufus Everts was the first postmaster The first store was kept by James Wylie

Rufus Everts erected the first grist mill and William Everts the first saw mill

The first Methodist Church became a blacksmith shop. The new church was built in 1900, but in 1919, it was closed, and sold to become the Eramosa Township storage shed for road machinery. …from the 1883-1884 Wellington County Directory
When the church closed in 1919 the congregation moved to Rockwood, The  last minister to preach here was Rev. John Little  who in 1918 had the Rockwood  charge.
EvertonwcmaPH15976

Everton General Store wcma photo

Christian Guardian – Obituaries November 1873 – PLEWES, Mrs Ann was born in 1794 at Catfoss near Beverley, Yorkshire, England and was raised in the Church of England. In 1816 she married John Plewes of Catwick Mills. She came to this province with her husband and family in 1851 and lost her husband that August, only 11 weeks after their arrival. About a year after his death she joined the Wesleyan Methodist church at Everton then on the Rockwood Circuit, where the class meeting was held in the house of her son William. Subsequently she belonged to the church in different places where she stayed with members of her family, Salmonville on Georgetown Circuit.; Bolton on Bolton Circuit.; Lowville on Milton Circuitt.; Brantford; finally the village of Oakwood where she died August 8, 1873 in her 79 th year survived by 3 sons and 2 daughters she was buried beside her husband in Acton cemetery October 1, 1873
EvertonStewartwcmaph32139
Postmaster in 1861 was D.F. Stewart from his house above
Members:
Ministers:

Read Full Post »

 

PLEVNA

A post office in Clarendon Township, Frontenac County, Ontario 75 miles north
of Kingston, the county seat and nearest banking point, and 17 miles west of Lavant on the E. & P R, its nearest railway point. It contains Anglican and Methodist churches and a public school. Stage three times a week to Clarandon Station and semi-weekly to Denbigh. Pop 100,

Gilbert Ostler, Postmaster

Businesses:

Canada Lumber Co
Card J, saw mill
Gore Frank, flour mill
Lemke Carl, saw mill
Mitchell Samuel, bailiff
Muldoon Robert, contractor
Ostler Gilbert, general store
Plotz Wm, carpenter
Thompson A, hotel
Tooley J L, hotel
Watt Robert, blacksmith
Wilson George, flour mill

…from 1898-99 Eastern Ontario Gazetteer and Directory

Members:

 

Ministers:

1895 Rev. T.W.Putter

1895 Rev. Enos Farnsworth

Read Full Post »

Rev. Enos Farnsworth

Charges:

1895 Plevna (Frontenac Cty), 1906 Moscow (Lennox Cty)

Read Full Post »

Rev. Gilbert Agar B.A.

Charges:

1895 Gore Bay/Manitoulin (Algoma Dist), 1900 Brampton (Peel Cty)

Read Full Post »

WILSONVILLE. a post village in Norfolk County, Ontario, 2 miles from Vanessa, a station on the Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo RR., near Waterford. It has a Methodist church, general store and a saw mill. Pop. 150 …from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Members:

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

WILLMER, a village in Frontenac County, Ontario, 6 miles from Sydenham Station, and 2 miles from Harrowsmith, on the Kingston and Pembroke division of the C.P.R. It contains a Methodist
church. Pop. 300 …from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

fro m WillberLoughborough

Members:

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »