Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for March, 2015

JOHN W. GOSNELL. a farmer of wealth, prominence and old family. who for many years has successfully followed agricultural
life in the County of Kent. was born in Orford Township in that county, June 2 , 1844. a son of Joseph and Caroline ( Dobbyn) Gosnell.

John W. Gosnell grew to manhood on the old home in Orford township, at the age of twenty-one years starting his own career.

In February. 1866, he married Margaret Conner, the estimable daughter of Charles and Sarah (Ogiletree) Conner. who came from Ireland and settled in the County of Kent. on the 3rd Concession. in Howard township where Mrs. Conner died when Mrs. Gosnell was but a child.

Charles Conner lived to the age of eighty-five years, dying in 1898, while residing with a son in London, Onario.

Mrs. Conner left nine children, five of whom still survive. Mrs. Gosnell was born in September, 1846, in Howard, and there grew to womanhood and married Mr. Gosnell. The young people started housekeeping and home-making on a farm in Concession 10 there they lived until 1868.

Religiously the Gosnells are among the leading families in the Methodist Church. Mr. Gosnell is a trustee and steward, and he and his wife  have been active in promoting its usefulness.

Politically he has always supported the Reform  party, and socially he is a member of the Royal  Templars of Highgate, County of Kent.

His  ancestry is old and honourable in the Dominion  and the family is known through the county  for the prominence of its members in many  walks of life.

Mr. Gosnell’s early days were not without their struggles, but like his father and grandfather John W. Gosnell proved the  fibre of which he was made. and with industry and perseverance pushed on to honourable competency.
Many men in these days gain wealth and so-called prominence, but none have acquired these gifts through more honest avenues than has this worthy representative of a fine old family….from the Kent County Beers Atlas 1904

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Rev. Joseph Clark (deceased), for many years a very prominent resident of the County of Kent, was born in England in 1806, a son of John and Helen Clark, who lived and died in that country.

He settled upon a farm upon which he remained until 1882, when he located in Blenheim. and there his death occurred in 1896.

Mr. Clark was converted to the Christian faith in New York, and after locating in Ontario became a minister of the Methodist Church, and took a very active part in its work, as a class-leader. He was a very devout man, an eloquent and convincing preacher, and during his long life did an immense amount of good. His loss was deeply felt by hundreds who had been helped not only by his offices as a minister of God. but also by the upright. noble life he led in their midst.

Mary Ann Clark was united in marriage in 1876, to James Bell, who was born in 1832, a son of David Bell. James Bell a farmer until his death which occurred in 1885, in his fifty-fourth year.

In politics Mr. Bell was a member of the Conservative party. He was an active Methodist, and a most excellent and worth gentleman.

Mrs. Joseph Clark. the mother of Mrs. Bell makes her home with the latter, and ulthough past ninety years of age is in possession all her faculties. and recalls the incidents of pioneer days as clearly as though they occurred recently. She is an honoured member of the household and a very entertaining remarkable woman for her age.…from the Kent County Beers Atlas 1904

Read Full Post »

Methodist After Church

SHALLOW LAKE – The Methodist Church started in the early 1890’s as a “mission” to the Hepworth Church. In 1896 a church was built, Rev. T. Albert Moore of Palmerston and Rev. Charles E. Stafford were the preachers on the dedication in July.

Rev. E. J. Harnell appears to have been the first regular pastor. In 1908 Shallow Lake became a separate mission, the church later became the United Church.

…from A New History of the County of Grey – T. Arthur Davidson

Shallow Lake United Church

First Church:

What became known as the Village of Shallow Lake was first visited by white people in the year 1862, who settled beside the creek which empties into the body of water that gave the village its name. During the summer months, the lake dried up leaving a chalky deposit known as marl on its floor. The marl held the necessary elements required for the manufacture of Portland cement.

Church History:

Methodist ministry was begun in Shallow Lake as early as 1882 by the Minister of the Hepworth Church. However, an attempt to erect a Methodist Church in Shallow Lake in 1882 failed. Around 1882, a Methodist Church had been established in Hepworth. Having no church in Shallow Lake, a few families who lived there worshipped at Hepworth. Services were held in the hotel dining room, which was the upper level of a livery barn, or in the homes of the pioneers. The minister came, (often once monthly) by foot or on horseback.

In the year 1894, a few early pioneers and settlers, because of their strong faith and love of God, had a desire to build a Presbyterian Church. A piece of property, part of Lot 21, Concession 2, South Centre Diagonal, Township of Keppel, was purchased for $28. With prayer, sacrifice and perseverance, these ambitious pioneers erected Knox Presbyterian Church, Shallow Lake.

On November 29, 1894, a half-acre of land was purchased from James Cruickshank and Albert McInnis for $45, and on May 22, 1896, the cornerstone was laid for a Methodist Church in Shallow Lake. The church building was erected on the second lot west of McInnis Street on Princess Street and opened in October, 1896, with H. J. Harnwell as Pastor and Mrs. Grant as organist.

In 1895, a twelve branch chandelier with coal oil lamps was installed and used until 1938 when the building was wired for electricity. In 1971, it was donated to the Grey County – Owen Sound Museum by the Shallow Lake United Church Board.

In January 1899, a Presbyterian Ladies Association had been formed with eleven members. Without modern conveniences as we know them, the Association worked together raising money for the improvement of their church. A porch was built onto the front of the church for the tendered price of $25.00; the interior was papered, new carpet and matting were purchased. These ladies planned strawberry teas (admission – 15 cents and 10 cents); Irish suppers (admission – 25 cents and 15 cents). In 1908, a fowl supper was held for which they prepared and used 60 chickens (admission – 25 cents and 15 cents). Proceeds were $73.32. Wood stoves with ovens were used. These old fashioned kitchens must have been extremely hot by the time the fowl was roasted and the baking completed. Arrangements had to be made to have boys carry water from the nearest well; the boys who did this received a free supper.

Each summer the Methodist Ladies Aid and the Presbyterian Ladies Association joined in arranging an annual picnic at Sauble Beach. They didn’t travel by car, but with horse and buggy or team and democrat. Later they travelled in a truck which was locally owned.

Until 1905, Shallow Lake Methodist Church was linked with Hepworth. Then, in 1905, Shallow Lake Methodist Church became separated from Hepworth and made a circuit with Mount Horeb (1905-1917) on Lot 5, Concession 15 of Keppel Township and Ottewell in Amabel Township. In 1917, Shouldice was added to this circuit as an associate appointment which continued for three years. However, a four-point charge proved awkward and, in 1920, Ottewell and Mount Horeb were then taken from the circuit and added to the Wiarton Methodist Church.

In 1925, a new era was beginning, the population of the village had been decreasing after the close of the cement plant twelve years previously, and financial obligations of the church were rising. Both Methodist and Presbyterian congregations came to realize that two churches and two ministers could not be maintained.

In 1925, the Knox Presbyterian congregation, which opened August 24, 1894 on the corner of Cruickshank and Main Streets in Shallow Lake, entered The United Church of Canada on a vote of 40 to four. It was then amalgamated with Shallow Lake Methodist congregation. There is no record of any ill feeling during the transition. Four months previous to this, the Sunday schools had combined. The combined ladies organization became Shallow Lake United Church Women. The former Methodist building was used for worship services and the former Presbyterian building as a community hall. William John Patton, the incumbent Presbyterian minister, left in June for Carnuff/Redvers, Sask. W.A. Matthews, the incumbent Methodist minister was expected to remain. However, the transition did not take place without some confusion. The Sun Times announced on May 30 that the Methodist incumbent W. A. Matthews had been appointed to the Shallow Lake circuit for an additional year. On June 20, it was announced that the settlement committee had appointed William H. Bartlett as minister.

On July 16, 1925, William H. Bartlett was inducted as minister of the new Shallow Lake Charge which included the former Methodist congregation of Shouldice; on July 18, a farewell was held for Mr. Matthews. For a short time, Mr. Matthews supplied the Hepworth, Zion-Amabel, and Park Head circuit in the temporary absence of John P. Barbaree. However, he remained in Shallow Lake without appointment until December when he went to the former Lion’s Head Methodist circuit. Before coming to Shallow Lake, he served four years on the Kemble circuit and six years at Colpoys.
The Presbyterian Church building became the property of Grey Presbytery and was renamed “Community Church Hall”. The building was maintained by Shallow Lake United Church until May, 1983 when it was demolished. In June, 1983, additional land was purchased and a new Shallow Lake United Church was constructed on the same site.

A major realignment took place in 1931 when Shallow Lake was linked with Hepworth and Zion-Amabel, an arrangement which existed for 49 years until July 1, 1980. The Shouldice Charge transferred to First United Church, Owen Sound, and it remained linked from 1942 to 1972. Ottewell became part of the new Clavering congregation which was formed on Lot 38, Concession 2N in Keppel Township.

The Shouldice congregation probably would have closed at this point had it not been for the services of a retired United Church minister, William Fletcher Roach, who supplied the congregation.

Members:

Ministers:

1896-1898 Rev. Henry J. Harnwell

1898-1900 Rev. Judson Truax

1900-1901 Rev. J. A.Doyle

1901-1902 Rev. S. Laidman

1902-1903 Rev. William Walker

1903-1904 Rev. F.C. Copp

1904-1905 Rev. Lloyd

1905-1906 Rev. Cooper

1907-1908 Rev. G. Holmes

1908-1909 Rev. A. J. Elson

1909-1911 Rev. A. O. W. Foreman

1911-1913 Rev. L. L. Cavers

1913-1914 Rev. C. F. Meek

1914-1917 Rev. Robert Woulds

1917-1918 Rev. T. W. Hazelwood

1818-1920 Rev. Robert Magill

1920-1923 Rev. B. E. Newnham

1923- 1925 Rev. W. A. Matthews

Read Full Post »

Rev. Melvin Smith was born in 1862.

Rev. Smith was minister of Erin Methodist Church for four years, 1914-1918. He and his wife Rebecca had two children, a daughter and a son who also was a minister, Rev. Rosco H. Smith. After his wife died, Melvin Smith married Lulu May Williamson and they lived in Fergus, Ontario until the time of his death on December 4, 1944, at the age of 82 years.

Charges:

1914-1918 Erin (Wellington Cty)

Read Full Post »

Erin Methodist Church History

The Canada Methodist Church is a brick building seating 300 It was erected 10 years ago at a cost of $1,700 – Services at 10:30 am and 6:30 pm Sunday School at 2:30 pm prayer meeting on Thursday There are 50 members Rev. Isaac Crane….1883-1884 Wellington County Directory – Erin

Although 1839 was the date when the New Connection Methodist Church established a congregation in Erin, the roots of religious teaching go back much farther. The first settlers came to Erin Township in 1820 to a virtual wilderness, but soon trees were cut down, log houses were built and land gradually cleared.

Saddle bag preachers or circuit riders, travelling from place to place on horseback, supplied the spiritual need of these early settlers who sometimes walked miles to get to the place of worship.

The first service was held in a log school house on the 9th line, and the Presbyterian preachers were the first to minister to the Christian spiritual needs of the people. Soon, however, the Methodist Church sent their ministers, and for some time they alternated with the Presbyterians in the school house.

In the 1830’s the settlers decided to erect a United Church jointly with the Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians and Anglicans, to provide a place to worship. A twelve foot square room was built in the centre of Erin Village, and all the settlers looked to this place as their spiritual home for a few years.

When the New Connection Methodists organized in 1839, Erin was an appointment on the Caledon Circuit, with the Rev. John Shilton as minister.

The Wesleyan Methodists first mention Erin in the report of the Guelph circuit in 1844, when the minister’s report states,

“The fields of labour in which we were stationed last conference, is very extensive and highly interesting, viz: the townships of Guelph, Eramosa, Erin, Nichol, Garafraxa, Woolwich, Waterloo, Wesley and Peel.”

A Union Church was built on Main Street in 1849, and was used by the two branches of Methodism and the Associate Church of Scotland until 1858.

Erin became a circuit in 1850, with a senior and junior minister, namely Rev. William Steer and John L. Kerr. In his report in 1851, Mr. Steer stated

“This field of labour includes the Township of Erin, Garafraxa, and the rear of Chinguacousy. In several places we have made new appointments, also have been invited to reach into other places which we have not yet visited, but intend to do so shortly.”

In 1858 the Wesleyans built an eight-sided church on the present site of the United Church.

The New Connection Methodists erected their church at the corner of Main and Water Street. This church was burned, and the congregation then worshipped in the Wesleyan building.

In July 1870 the concrete octagonal Wesleyan church was burned, and was rebuilt and opened in January 1871. It was all paid for except $150.00 including a debt of $320.00 that had been on the previous building, which, according to records, had cost upwards of 400 pounds.

When the fourteen divisions of Methodism united in 1884, this church became the Methodist Church of Canada, and Erin was put on a circuit consisting of Erin, Ballinafad, Coningsby, Caledon, Credit Forks and Belfountain. The minister lived in Erin, and had a student to assist him.

In 1925, the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational Churches merged to form the United Church of Canada. Some of the Presbyterians chose to remain with their own denomination, but many were welcomed into the union, and the Methodist building became the United Church.

This church building was erected in 1871. It has been said there is a very simple, but effective, bit of engineering in the attic that supports the ceiling without having any posts below. The basement has had numerous changes made to it. Originally, a basement was not considered necessary, but some time later it was deepened below the level of the foundation, the sides re-inforced with wood, and wooden floor put in right on the ground. This has been replaced with concrete since Union. What is now the kitchen, had only enough dirt removed to allow the wood for fuel to be thrown in from the back. The church had box seats. Everyone had their own seat, and had stools to keep their feet off the floor on account of the draft.

In 1901 there were 100 members on the Erin roll, with seven official board members representing the six charges on the circuit. By 1906 reports showed the Cataract congregation did not average 12, so by 1910, Cataract, Credit Forks and Belfountain were dropped from the circuit, leaving Erin, Ballinafad and Coningsby.

Originally, there was a basement stairway inside in the west corner later, this was covered over and an outside stairway put in under the window next to the driveway. At that time there was a large wooden platform outside of the front entrance, with continuous steps on three sides. This shows up in numerous school class pictures, as the different levels made a good setting for this, also, it was convenient, as the school at that time was just on the other side of the Presbyterian Church.

Immediately after union the platform was removed and the new entrance and vestibule was built, enlarging the interior of the church, with the basement stairway inside, where it now is. Heating systems and chimneys have undergone a number of changes. Originally, there were two chimneys and two wood stoves, with their lines of stove pipes connecting them to the chimneys. After the basement came into use a furnace was installed, and a new chimney built on the outside of the wall.

At the time of union, a new church was built in Hillsburgh, with Erin, Hillsburgh and Coningsby forming the circuit, dropping Ballinafad. At least, from the year 1937, summer services have been combined with the Presbyterians, so each minister would have four weeks holidays.

Conclusion:

I acknowledge here with grateful thanks, all those who have contributed information and loaned pictures for reproduction, and helped in any way with this history. Without their help it would have been impossible to write. Also, deep appreciation is extended to the Sesquicentennial Committee, those people who have worked so hard in making the 150th year of Christian commitment in Erin, a memorable one, and for standing behind me in all aspects of the production of this book. This is not a complete history. Many contributions have been made by numerous people who have done so much for the good of the church, that it is impossible to mention them all in this brief history. I offer my apologies if I have omitted something you think should have been included, and also apologize for any mistakes that have been made….DORIS FINES – Erin United Church

Members:

Ministers:

1871 – 1872  Rev. Benjamin Sherlock

1914 – 1918 Rev. Melvin Smith

1925 – 1928 Rev. E.R. Hall

 

Read Full Post »

gre m StVincent

Sometime about the year 1844 or a little later Henry Smith settled on Lot 4 con. 12, St. Vincent Township, where he opened or founded what became known as the Smith Mission.

In the year 1879 a stone church was built on Lot 24. con. 11, just south of the brick church and was called the Methodist Episcopal Church.

This was a very modern church with raised seats and stained glass windows. This church only carried on for a few years. and then united with Ebenezer Church.

The first services in this section were held in the Sparling home, now owned by Rennie Bros.

Later the services were held in the school when it was built
on the Mitchell property.

When Joe Shepherdson and his sister Sophia, later Mrs. John Muxlow sold an acre of land off their farm, now owned by Mr. and Mrs. Gordon Murray, a permanent place of worship was built.

An interesting event was told to us later by the late Mrs. Fred Rumsey, of how her mother, Sophia Shepherdson, had made 100 pies which were enjoyed on the memorable occasion of the opening of the new church.

The contractor in appreciation of the young girl’s generous contribution made and presented to her a bake board and rolling pin, which was one of the treasures of her household.

The brick church was built in the year 1878 and was dedicated on ‘the Sabbath dyy, December 29, 1878 at
10 a.m. by Rev. D. C, McDowell, chairman of the Owen Sound District.

This church was named Ebenezer, but was also known as the Shepherdson Church.

As the years went by other churches were called Ebenezer, so ours was known as Spading’s Ebenezer Church or a New Canada Wesleyan Methodist Church.

The names appearing in Ebenezer Church records of that time were Shepherdson, Sparling, Artley, Wiley, Muxlow, McCullough, Baxter, Wright, Wooth, Milson. Rielly. Curry and Yeadell.

The first child to be baptized in Ebenezer Church was Miss Sophia Shepherdson, now Mrs. Thomas Dixon.

There have been two weddings in the church,
the Soul – Parker wedding and the Tullock – Rennie wedding.

For music – at first the key was sounded on a tuning fork to start the congregation singing. Later in 1896 an organ was purchased and Emma Wood (Mrs. A. Parker) was the first organist. Mrs. William Geddes, Mrs. Gertrude
Ptolemy. Mrs. Rye Spading. Martha Wood, Mrs. Lawrence Sparling, Barbara Rennie and Tom Sparling were among the later organists.

There has always been an active Sunday School. Among the Superintendents were – Phillip Sparling, Alonzo Rennie, Robert Spading, Ryerson Sparling, Archie Wood, W. I. Wood and Mrs. Raymond Rennie.

FEBRUARY 5, 1895 – EBENEZER EPWORTH LEAGUE ROLL
Fred Irwin, Robert Sparling, Philip Sparling, Fred Curry, Maggie Curry, Sarah Curry, Mrs. R. Spading, Wm. Cheer, J. E. Burchilt, Mrs. James Burchilt, Mrs. Veadell, Elizah Sparling, Jeff Rennie, Johnson Abercrombie, George Ferris. Maggie Rielly, Mathew Patton, Rhoda Yeadell, Charles Wright, Annie Burchill, Thomas Mower, David Burchill, Ryerson Sparling, James Ferris, Wm. Bassett, Rhoda Wright, Bella Wright, Mary Wood, Martha Wood, Emma Wood, Mary Yeadell, Sarah Yeadell, Carrie Williamson.

… from Grey County Tweedsmuir Histories  – Supplied by E. W. Quinton

Read Full Post »

gre m MassieHolland

Mr. Joseph Partridge who purchased the farm in 1864 came originally from England.

Before coming to Ontario he lived in a town in the United States where Abraham Lincoln lived – a fact of which he was very proud.

Mr. and Mrs. Partridge had a family of four sons – Benjamin, John, William and George. George and Ben each played Bass in the Massie Brass Band. George also did a great deal of work on the building of the frame Methodist Church in the village of Massie.

George bought the south one hundred acres in March 1894. The same time Benjamin (Ben) became the owner of the north one hundred. He was the father of James (who never married) from whom Mrs. Harriet Cook bought the farm.

Ben also had a daughter, Frances, who married a Mr. Colbee from Arthur Township....from Grey County  Tweedsmuir Histories

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »