Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Church’ Category

1910ontarchI0014080offtochurchSEPIA

Off to Church

Artemesia was regarded as a Wesleyan mission with no churches until 1862 when one was built after devine services had been held in the Munshaw House for some time.

St. John’s Methodist was built in 1877, Chalmers Presbyterian in 1885, the Baptist Church in 1886. The Methodist and Presbyterian churches united in 1925 using the St. John’ church building. The Chalmers Church building was converted into a town hall, then reverted to church use later when bought by Cedarside Baptist Church.

…from the History of the County of Grey by T. Arthur Davidson 1972

Members:

Ministers:

1851-1852 Rev. Joseph Hill

Read Full Post »

Euphrasia Township had nine religious denominations in 1860 including four different types of Methodists.

Heathcote 

Union Church was built on the corner of Con 2 Lot 16 in 1876, part of the Heathcote charge. The building was sold in 1963 with the congregation joining the Heathcote Church.

Early ministers included Rev. John Foster, Rev. John Holtz, Rev. Stephen Brownell later Dean of Grey County, and Rev. Dodsley

…from A New History of the County of Grey – T. Arthur Davidson

Members:

 

Ministers:

1865 Rev. John Foster

Rev. Dodsley

Rev. Stephen Brownell

Rev. John Holtz

Read Full Post »

Corbyville

A Post Office on the Midland Division G T R in Thurlow Township, Hastings County. Ontario 4 miles northeast of Belleville, the country seat, and nearest bank. It contains a Methodist church and a common school. Stage daily to Belleville Pop 100

Miss Ella Bennett Postmistress

…from 1898-99 Eastern Ontario Gazetteer and Directory

Businesses:

Bennett W. tailor
Corby H. miller
Grier Thomas cabinetmaker
Hanswil T. blacksmith
Marille Peter cooper
Palmer R.R. hotel
Scantlebury William shoemaker

Members:

Bradshaw  William born 1819 62 German

Brenton Francis  born 1851 cheesemaker

Campbell Thomas

Fairfield Melissa

Farley Willet born 1847

Gilbert Caleb

Gilbert M

Hicks Hart

Miller James

Pitman Russell

Reed Caleb

Reed H.

Thrasher Daniel

 

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

Bensfort Church2

BENSFORT

A post office in South Monaghan Township, Northumberland County, Ontario
23 miles north of Cobourg, the county seat. It contains a church and school. Fraserville, is the nearest railway point. Nearest bank at Millbrook. Pop 45

Thomas Armstrong, Postmaster

Armstrong Thomas, general store
Fletcher John, blacksmith
Kerr John, carpenter

…from 1898-99 Eastern Ontario Gazetteer and Directory

Church History:

Bensfort Methodists worshipped at the Frame church on the second line across from the Dawson Cenetery for many years.

In 1874 the Millbrook Circuit was divided into two and the South Monaghan circuit was formed under Rev. William Buchanan. It was his successor Rev. Thomas Manning who supervised the building of Bensfort and Bailieboro Methodist churches both of which were completed in 1883.

Bensfort church was on the same circuit as Bailieboro and Fraserville and served over the years by the same ministers.

Bensfort Church

Members:

 

Ministers:

1827  Rev. James Norris

1827-1828  Rev. Hamilton Biggar

1829  Rev. Daniel McMullen

1830  Rev. Gilbert Miller

1831-1832  Rev. Conrad VanDusen

1831  Rev. William Young

1832  Rev. James Currie

1833  Rev. John Law

1833  Rev. Thomas Harmon

1834  Rev. John Black

1835  Rev. William Young

1885-1888 Rev. Benjamin Greatrix

1888-1891 Rev. D. N. McCamus

1891-1894 Rev. J. Kilgour

1894-1898 Rev. Thomas S. McKee

1898-1901 Rev. Thomas Steel

1901-1903 Rev. Nathaniel Drew

1903-1906 Rev. J.E. Robeson

1906-1910 Rev. J.E. Weatherill

1910-1913 Rev. F.W. White

1913-1917 Rev. W.T. Wickett

1917-1921 Rev. M.W. Leigh

1921-1925 Rev. R.M. Paterson

Read Full Post »

Fraserville United Church

FRASERVILLE

A post office on the Midland Division G T R, in South Monaghan Township, Northumberland County, Ontario 28 miles northwest of Cobourg, the county seat, and 7 miles northeast of Millbrook, the nearest banking point. It contains a Methodist church and public school. Pop 100. Tel G N W. Exp Can,

A A. Goodfellow, Postmaster

Bothwell J R, blacksmith
Fisher Fred, hotel
Goodfellow A A, grocer

…from 1898-99 Eastern Ontario Gazetteer and Directory

Church History:

Fraserville Methodist Church, the third member of the South Monaghan circuit shared the same history of Bailieboro and Bensfort Churches and the Rice Lake circuit.

The brick church built in the Gothic design with “high pointed arches and clustered columns” was erected with considerable volunteer effort in 1879 on land on the Cavan side of the road Con 7 Lot 23 donated by Col. A.L.H. Williams for years before this, Methodists from the Fraserville area had worshipped at Might’s School Con 6 Lot 1 South Monaghan which was originally par of the Cavan New Connexion circuit.

In the beginning the Fraserville church was heated by two flat top box stoves located in the northeast and southeat corners with “long strings of black pipes to carry smoke to the chimneys” After years of tolerating this inefficient system which smoked badly in spite of all efforts to correct it, a portion of the basement was dug out and a furnace installed in 1917.

For many years after Fraserville church was built, the circuit minister, begining with Rev. Henry McDowell, lived Fraserville, first in a house rented from the Borthwell family and later in the new parsonage purchsed in 1885 during the pastorate of Rev. Francis Johnston.

Many remember that Fraserville was long noted for its outstanding choir nd its prayer meetings, Garden parties, basket socials and other activities made it the gathering place for young and old alike.

Members:

Ministers:

1827  Rev. James Norris

1827-1828  Rev. Hamilton Biggar

1829  Rev. Daniel McMullen

1830  Rev. Gilbert Miller

1831-1832  Rev. Conrad VanDusen

1831  Rev. William Young

1832  Rev. James Currie

1833  Rev. John Law

1833  Rev. Thomas Harmon

1834  Rev. John Black

1835  Rev. William Young

1885-1888 Rev. Benjamin Greatrix

1888-1891 Rev. D. N. McCamus

1891-1894 Rev. J. Kilgour

1894-1898 Rev. Thomas S. McKee

1898-1901 Rev. Thomas Steel

1901-1903 Rev. Nathaniel Drew

1903-1906 Rev. J.E. Robeson

1906-1910 Rev. J.E. Weatherill

1910-1913 Rev. F.W. White

1913-1917 Rev. W.T. Wickett

1917-1921 Rev. M.W. Leigh

1921-1925 Rev. R.M. Paterson

Read Full Post »

ellis63a

In 1878 this  Methodist Episcopal Church was located on land owned by J. Phillips on Con 4 Lot 31 Thurlow Township, Hastings County

Members:

Ashley William English born 1811 farmer

Boyd Joseph Irish born 1828 farmer

Coulter John Irish born 1816 farmer

Esmond James German born 1817 farmer

Jones James born 1826 farmer

Lazier Nicholas German born 1826 farmer

Mormon William English born 1821 farmer

Roblin John born 1850 farmer

Sills George born 1848 farmer

Snider George German born 1831 farmer

Wilcox Asa English born 1834 farmer

Yager Peter USA born 1818 farmer

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

communionSepia

A Methodist Episcopal Church located west of the village of Plainfield in Con 8 Lot 21 on the farm of H. W. Garrison and includes Plainfield (Victoria) Cemetery.

Members:

 

Ministers:

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »