Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Conference’ Category

1884 Western Methodist Conference – Brandon Manitoba

Brandon Mail – June 19, 1884

Winnipeg District

Grace – Rev. Ezra A. Stafford, Rev. George Young D.D., Rev. J.W. Hellwels

Zion – Rev. William Leech Rutledge, Rev. T.E. Morden superanuated

Wesley – Rev. George Daniels

Emmerson – Rev. J.W. Hewitt

Dominion City – Rev. R.B. Laidley

Stonewall – Rev. J.A. Jackson

Rat Portage – Rev. W.H. Spence

Plympton – Rev. W.R. Morrison

Fisher River – Rev. Andrew W. Ross

Berins River – Rev. Enos Langford

Norway House – Rev. John Semmens

1884 Pembina and Turtle Mountain District

Carman – Rev. Thomas Argue, Rev. William Baker

Nelson – Rev. W.W. Culpits

Alexandria – Rev. S.F. Colwell

Manitou – Rev. A. Sarden, Rev. D.S. Hough

Snowflake – Rev. A.H. Anderson

Crystal City – Rev. C. Crichton

Otenaw – Rev. J. Haskens

Cartwight – Rev. Andrew Stewart, Rev. W. Rogers

Turtle Mountain – Rev. P.W. Davies, Rev. W.H. Buckler

Cypress River – Rev. J. Peters

1884 Portage La Prairie District

Portage – Rev. James Woodsworth

High Bluff – Rev. A.B. Hames

Meadowlea – Rev. J.H. Ruitan

Gladstone – Rev. James E. Allen

Neepawa – Rev. J.M Rolinson

Minnedosa – Rev. A.J. Barltop, Rev. John W. Bell B.A.

McGregor – Rev. R.H. Craig

Prospect/Burnside Missions – Rev. Benjamin Franklin B.A.

1884 Brandon District

Brandon – Rev. Charles Ladner superinanuated

Elton/Brandon – Rev. W.T. Dyer

Rapid City – Rev. J.H. Howard

Oak River – Rev. Charles Myers

Beulah – Rev. Jas. Russin

Birtle – Rev. J.B. Wilson

Shell River – Rev. Henry Kenner

Moosomin – Rev. M. Demmick

Moose Mountain – Rev. W.G. Wilson

Virden – Rev. F.B Beynon, Rev. Neil Daniel Peters

Griswold/Alexander – Rev. Richard Ansin

Plum Creek – Rev. J. Harrison, Rev. G. Hanna

Antlers – Rev. A.D. Wheeler

Souris/Milford – Rev. George K.B. Adams, Rev. J.B. Powell, Rev. Joshua Elliott, Rev. George Roddick

1884 Regina District

Wassana – Rev. Daniel McGreger

Qu’ Appelle Station – Rev. Thomas Lawson

Broadview – Rev. J.H. Gosley

Moose Jaw – Rev. C. Williams

Saskatoon – Rev. William Halstead

Prince Albert – Rev. Caleb Parker

1884 Saskatchewan District

Slave Lake – Rev. E.R. Steinhauer

Whitefish Lake – Rev. Henry Bird Steinhauer

Victoria – Rev. J.A. McLaughlan

Battle River – Rev. E.B. Glass B.A.

Woodville – Rev. John Nelson

Morley – Rev. J. McDonald, Rev. Orin German

Calgary – Rev. James Sevier

Blood Indians – Rev. John McLean B.A.

Medicine Hat – Rev. Wellington Bridgeman

Read Full Post »

Zion_Kitchenersepia

Zion Evangelical United Brethren Church – Berlin, Ontario

The name – The Evangelical United Brethren Church – is a composite name taken when the Evangelical Church and the United Brethren in Christ Church united in 1946.

Both denominations had their rise in the Revivalism Period of the early 1800’s in the eastern United States. Both Churches felt called to minister to the large numbers of German-speaking people migrating from Europe and settling chiefly in Pennsylvania and the eastern States.

The Evangelical Church came into being through the efforts of Jacob Albright, a humble but devout tile-maker who resided near Pottstown Pennsylvania. Upon his conversion he joined the Methodist Episcopal Church and soon became a class leader. His great concern was that the Methodist Church should go out in a ministry in the German language to the throngs of settlers who could not understand or use the English language.

Receiving permission to go out in this ministry, he was well received, and soon had founded Classes, appointed Class Leaders, and became an Exhorter to those Leaders. This movement developed to such an extent in Pennsylvania and the neighbouring States that by 1807 these groups and their Leaders were formed into what was called “The Newly Formed Methodist Conference”. Jacob Albright was appointed a Minister, and later became the first Bishop of the new Church.

At first there was no intention of separaing from the Methodist Episcopal Church, but as the movement developed , separate Conferences were held in the German language, and eventually in 1816 at the First General Conference, the new denomination came into being under the name – The Evangelical Association, which later, in 1922, was changed to “The Evangelical Church”.

The United Brethren in Christ Church came into being at approximately the same perior, and in the same area of the eastern States. The founders were Philip William Otterbein, a German Reformed Church minister from Germany, and Martin Boehm, a Mennonite who collaborated in 1800 to form “The Church of the United Brethren in Christ”.

Both of these Leaders had been greatly influenced by the preaching of a Methodist minister, the Rev. George Whitfield. Both were friends of Rev. Francis Asbury, and later Otterbein assisted in the consecration of Asbury as the first Bishop of the newly-formed “Methodist Episcopal Church in America”. Only the fact that these Leaders too felt called to minister in the German Language to the German settlers, led them to form their separate denomination.

Both the Evangelical Church, and the United Brethren were organized according to the Methodist Episcopal Polity, with Bishops and Superintendents, with orders of Deacons and Elders to the Ministry, and Lay Class Leaders and Exhorters. They both met in Annual and General Conferences. Their Books of Discipline were patterned after the Methodist Book, and their Articles of Faith were taken almost verbatim from the Doctrines of the Methodist Church.

Since both denominations were ministering to German people in the German language they were often moving into the same areas where the immigrants had settled. Accordingly in their early eras of expansion, they moved almost simultaneously westward from the eastern States into the States of Ohio, Erie, New York, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and eventually on into the western States. In the early 1800’s both denominations also moved into Upper Canada to establish congregations and Conferences in Ontario. These congregations, in both instances, at first were part of Conferences in the State of New York.

Evangelical Church

The first congregation of the Evangelical Church was established in Berlin, Ontario in 1839. In 1837 a stirring Camp meeting was held in a woods now in Waterloo near the Moses Springer Park, where a National Site Marker indicates the place. Following this Camp meeting, which was attended by Bishop John Seybert from Pennsylvania, two Classes were formed, one in Berlin, the other in Waterloo. In 1841 the first Church was built on Scott St. to house the first congregation in Ontario and named Zion Evangelical Church. A second larger Church was built on Queen St. south opposite Church St. in 1866, and in 1893 the present sanctuary on Weber St. was constructed.

Other early Evangelical Churches were built in Waterloo in 1851, in Lexington, in Wallenstein and in Woolwich. As the Church expanded, congregations were established throughout the counties of Waterloo, Huron, Bruce and Grey, and in the areas of Hamilton, Niagara, along Lake Erie, in the Ottawa Valley, and in the Parry Sound District. Again, wherever there were settlements of German-speaking people, there the Church moved in to minister to them.

As the Church expanded, the congregations felt that they should be organized into a Conference of their own. Accordingly, the ministers and churches were separated from the New York Conference and in 1864 the first Canada Conference was formed. Later, ministers and missionaries went into the prairie Provinces and established congregations among the German settlers there. In 1926 a second Conference was organized, named the Northwest Canada Conference, and bringing together all congregations in the Prairie Provinces and in British Columbia.

United Brethren in Christ Church

The United Brethren in Christ Church moved into Ontario as early as 1825 with Missionary Preachers coming from the United Brethren New York and Pennsylvania Conferences. These Missionaries established Congregations in the Niagara area, the Sheffield-Beverly area, and eventually in Berlin. The first Ontarion Conference was held in 1856 in the village of Sheffield.

from Rev. Emerson Hallman

Guelph Evangelical Chapel Opened – May 10, 1857

On Sunday, May 10th, a chapel, intended for the Evangelical Union congregation, was opened, sermons being preached by Rev. R. Peden of Hamilton, who was assisted in the devotional exercises by Rev. E. Barker of Eramosa, and Rev. John McDougall, pastor of the church. The Chapel, capable of holding between two and three hundred persons, was well filled at all services. On Monday evening a tea meeting was held, following by a public meeting, Rev. J. McDougall in the chair. Addresses were delivered by Rev. R. Paul (Primitive Methodist), Rev. Dr. Cooney (Wesleyan), Rev. E. Barker (Congregationalist), Rev. J. Clarke (Baptist), and Rev. R. Peden (Evangelical Union).

…from  “Annals of the Town of Guelph – 1827-1877” by C. Acton Burrows

Tavistock Evangelical Methodist Church

The Evangelical Methodist Church, a frame edifice was opened in 1869 with Rev. John Staeppler in charge.

In 1835 Rev. Donald McKenzie of Zorra made numerous calls on the pioneers of Easthopes.
He performed to first baptism, that of Duncan, seventh child of James Stewart and Catharine Fraser on Lot 30 Con 2

In 1840, August 15th., Rev. Daniel Allan from Glasgow, Scotland became pastor of St. Andrew’s in Stratford. By this time services had been transferred fromthe Bell home to the log school just west of the grave yard. He was pastor for 31 years.

Rev. John Bell preached from 1857 to 1876. George Hyde, Charles McTavish, Robert Fraser, and John Stewart were elders.

The material for building the new church was brought from New Hamburg, 12 miles away, by sleighs drawn by oxen. When this work was done on Lot 26 Con 5 no one in the community had horses.

In 1881 they united with Tavistock. Previous to 1867 the congregation held meetings in the log school on the corner of Lot 20 Con 11 the farm of William Amos.

Rev. Thomas Stephen was supply minister. In 1859 James McDonald and peter Stewart appointed as elders.

Oetzel’s Church on Lot 5 Con 6 was a log building. The Evangelicals built a stone church in 1852. The first Sabbath School was founded by Charles Strosser in 1848. Other membvers were the Hamels and the Falks.

Sebastopol was first settled in 1830 by Henry Heyrock, Henry Schaefer and Henry Eckstein. In 1848 Eckstein built a tavern for the Canada Company. Rev. Horn was first minister in 1832. The church had a clock in its tower..

Sabbath days were kept sacred, as days of worship and rest. A fine was imposed on anyone neglecting to keep the Lord’s Day. No one was allowed to travel the roads except to church service. No baseball or other games were played.

from Reveries of a Pioneer – Perth County

by Vera Ernst McNichol

Churches:

Aldboro, Berlin, New Hamburg, St. Jacobs, Waterloo, South Cayuga, Carrick, Fullarton, Stoney Creek, Campden, Sebringville, Lingelbach’s, Mildmay, Crediton, Zurich, Chesley-Hamilton, Wallace, Tavistock, Port Elgin, Dashwood, Alice, Elmira, Bismark, Hanover, Milverton, Pembroke, Alsfeldt, Kitchener, Golden Lake, Stratford, Bridgeport, Pelham, Calvary, Olivet-Woolwich, St. Timothy’s-Zion, Oetzel’s, Roseville, Wilmot Centre, Bethel, Floradale, Linden Park, Morriston, Attercliffe Station, Rainham, Kohler, Selkirk, Willoughby, Elmwood, Ayton, Bruce, Clifford, Kurtzville Arnprior, Arnstein, Rye, Augsburg, Wilberforce, Letterkenny, Emmanuel, Palmer Rapids, Rostock, Rosenthal, Oak Ridge, Rodney, South Easthope, McKillop, Lisbon, Locksley, Killaloe, Listowel, Petawawa, Schutt

Ministers:

Rev. J.G. Staebler, Rev. John Lingelbach, Rev. Jacob Anthes, Rev. Holtzman, Rev L. Rothaermel, Rev. W. Sauer, Rev. S. Weber, Rev. F. Herlan, Rev. J. Thede, Rev. G. Finkbeiner, Rev. F. Scharffe, Rev. J. Hauch, Rev. E. Eby, Rev. H. Dierlamm, Rev. S.L. Umbach, Rev. Jacob Walter, Rev. A. Geiger, Rev. J. Umbach, Rev. E. Graff, Rev. H.A. Thomas, Rev. L.P. Amacher, Rev. D. Reider, Rev. D. Kreh, Rev. G. Domm, Rev. H.G. Schmidt, Rev. George Braun, Rev. A. Haist, Rev. L. Wittich, Rev. S. Krupp, Rev. Isaac Lachman, Rev. M. Wing, Rev. J.C.Morlock, Rev. L. Eidt, Rev. E.D. Becker, Rev. J.G. Burn, Rev. D.H. Clemens, Rev. W.S. Henrich, Rev. J.K. Schwalm, Rev. J.G. Litt, Rev. August Getz, Rev. J.A. Schmitt, Rev. J, Morley, Rev. W.J. Yager, Rev. J.W. Groh, Rev. A.W. Sauer,
Rev. A.F. Stoltz, Rev. W.Y. Dreier, Rev. W.J. Zimmerman, Rev. K. Gretzenger, Rev. S.L. Hauch, Rev. Emil Burn, Rev. J.P.Hauch, Rev. L.H. Wagner, Rev. G.F. Brown, Rev. J.H. Grenzebach, Rev. F. Meyer, Rev. S. Knechtel, Rev. E.H. Bean, Rev. I.C. Armstrong, Rev. W.O. Hatne,  Rev. F.B. Meyer, Rev. E.E. Domm, Rev. J.S. Burn, Rev. H.H. Leibold, Rev. H.A. Kellerman, Rev. A. Clemens, Rev. C.H. Cornwell, Rev.W.E. Breese, Rev. J. Wettlaufer, Rev. L. Pletch, Rev. G.A. Beacroft, Rev. C,R. Kauth, Rev. N. Reibling, Rev. E. Gishler, Rev. M. Geil, Rev. O. Hallman, Rev. A.T. Nash

Read Full Post »

VicU1900

Victoria College was originally founded as the Upper Canada Academy by the Wesleyan Methodist Church. In 1831, a church committee decided to locate the academy on four acres (1.6 hectares) of land in Cobourg, Ontario, east of Toronto, because of its central location in a large town and access by land and water.

In 1836, Egerton Ryerson received a royal charter for the institution from King William IV in England, while the Upper Canadian government was hesitant to provide a charter to a Methodist institution.

The school officially opened to male and female students on October 12, 1836, with Ryerson as the first president and Matthew Ritchey as principal. Although the school taught a variety of liberal arts subjects, it also functioned as an unofficial Methodist seminary. In 1841, it was incorporated as Victoria College, named for Queen Victoria, and finally received a charter from the Upper Canadian Legislature.

John Harper (architect) designed Victoria University Medical College (1871-2), Gerrard Street East at Sackville Street, Toronto which was demolished.

Cobourg18096f-Victoria College, Freshmen1883

Victoria College Freshmen 1883

Victoria University was formed in 1884 when Victoria College and Albert University federated with each other. In 1890, Victoria University federated with the University of Toronto. In 1892, Victoria University moved from Cobourg to its current campus on Queen’s Park Crescent, south of Bloor Street (at Charles Street West), in Toronto.

Cobourg18097f-VictoriaCollegeGraduating Class 1886

Victoria College Graduating Class 1886

A plaque was erected at 100 University Avenue at the intersection with College Street in Cobourg, Ontario.

Victoria College
The cornerstone of this building was laid June 7, 1832, and teaching began in 1836. First operated under a royal charter by the Wesleyan Methodists as Upper Canada Academy, in 1841 it obtained a provincial charter under the name of Victoria College, giving it power to grant degrees. Victoria’s first president was the Reverend Egerton Ryerson, newspaper editor and founder of Ontario’s present educational system. In 1890 the college federated with the University of Toronto and, in 1892, left Cobourg.

Cobourg18094f-Victoria College and Faraday Hall1878

Victoria College and Faraday Hall 1878

from Wikipedia

The cornerstone of this building was laid June 7, 1832, and teaching began in 1836. First operated under a royal charter by the Wesleyan Methodists as Upper Canada Academy, in 1841 it obtained a provincial charter under the name of Victoria College, giving it power to grant degrees. Victoria’s first president was the Reverend Egerton Ryerson, newspaper editor and founder of Ontario’s present educational system. In 1890 the college federated with the University of Toronto and, in 1892, left Cobourg.…from Ontario’s Historical Plaques

Victoria College was founded by the Wesleyan Conference; the institution was chartered in 1835, as an Academy, and by Act of Parliament, in 1812, was constituted a College, with power to confer degrees in the several arts and sciences – (the only degree yet conferred has been one in literature): it is supported partly by a legislative grant of £500 per annum, and partly by tuition fees. The building is handsome, and well situated, and cost nearly £10,000; it contains Library, Reading Room, Chapel, Laboratory, Lecture Rooms, &c. &c. Although the institution was founded by the Methodists, there is nothing sectarian in its character…from the Newcastle District

Notices:

Methodists:   Report of Bishop Strachan’s address to the three hundred students present at the first matriculation of students at King’s College. He complained that the college should have been a Church of England institution as Victoria College was under Methodist control and that Queen’s College was under Presbyterian control. Chronicle and Gazette June 21, 1843 p. 3, col. 2

Read Full Post »

1925 Maritime Conference

1925 Maritime Conference

 

“By authority of the General Council the first Maritime Conference of the United Church of Canada, convened in Fawcett Hall, Sackville, N.B., on Tuesday evening, September 1st, 1925, at 7:45 p.m.” (Minutes of the First Maritime Conference, 1925, p. 1).

And so began the first Maritime Conference, which met from September 1-4, 1925. Rev. Clarence MacKinnon was elected President and Rev. D.A. Frame and Rev. H.T. Gornall were elected joint secretaries. Ian McKinnon, William H. Forsythe, and D. Sutherland McLeod were ordained during the Conference. The roll of Conference was called with a grand total of 18 Presbyteries: Sydney Presbytery, Inverness Presbytery, Pictou Presbytery, Truro Presbytery, Cumberland Presbytery, Halifax Presbytery, Windsor Presbytery, Annapolis Presbytery, Yarmouth Presbytery, Lunenburg and Queens Presbytery, Moncton Presbytery, St. John Presbytery, Fredericton Presbytery, Woodstock Presbytery, Miramichi Presbytery, Prince Edward Island Presbytery, Bermuda Presbytery, and Trinidad Presbytery.

Conferences, reports were heard by various committees including Social Service and Evangelism, the Home Mission Committee, and the Settlement Committee. Highlighting some of the social issues prevalent in the minds of many Canadian citizens, the Social Service and Evangelism report touched on issues such as gambling, prohibition and rum-running, enforcement of the Lord’s Day Act, and an end to “industrial difficulties (Minutes of the First Maritime Conference, 1925,  p. 22). The standing committees of Conference at this time were:  the Widows’ and Orphan’s Fund, Trustees of Hunter Church Building Fund, Trustees Church and Manse Fund, Trustees Presbyterian Church, Historical Committee, Visitors to Mt. Allison, Committee on Religious Education, Conference Programme, Camp Meeting, Church raise, and Obituary Notices.

The Conference ended with everyone joining in to sing “Blest be the Tie that Binds;” a fitting end for a huge milestone in our Conference history.

Read Full Post »

1915 Dublin St  MethodistGuelph Museums

1915 Dublin St Methodist
Guelph Museums

May 30, 1918 – Over 500 ministers and delegates of the Methodist Church of Hamilton Conference are in the city – Opening of General Session two o’clock Dublin Street Church. Rev. Trevor H. Davies, Metropolitan Church, Toronto will preach the opening sermon. Election of Conference Officers will also be held. … from the Guelph Mercury May 30, 1918 Pg 1

The evening session at Norfok Street Church was crowded and an enjoyable time of singing old hymns was had. The speakers were Rev. Jas. Endicott D.D. of China and the Hon. W.H. Hearst Premier of the Province of Ontario. Both men gave excellent addresses. …from the Guelph Mercury May 31, 1918 Pg 2

George Wedlake, President of the Laymen’s Assoc. spoke this morning, urging an increase to ministers on the smaller circuits from $900 to $1,200, and also that some parsonages should be repaired or replaced. … from the Guelph Mercury May 31, 1918 Pg 1

Annual supper of the Laymen’s Assoc. held in the lecture room of Dublin St. Church. Over 300 attended. The speaker Mr. G.H. Warburton, a noted Y.M.C.A., and church worker of Toronto. … from the Guelph Mercury May 31, 1918 Pg 7

Read Full Post »

1871 New Connexion Methodist Conference - Owen Sound

1871 New Connexion Methodist Conference – Owen Sound

1871 New Connexion Methodist Ministers:

Rev. Thomas O. Adkins  Leeds Cty

Rev. David Auld  Galt (Waterloo Cty)

Rev. Charles Barltrop Sophiasburgh (Prince Edward Cty.)

Rev.  James Baskerville  St. Vincent (Grey Cty)

Rev. John D. Bell  Napanee (Lennox Cty)

Rev. Darius Bettes Jnr  Welland

Rev. William Birks  Ingersoll

  Rev. George Martin Brown Arran (Bruce Cty)

Rev. George Brown  St. Patrick’s (Hamilton)

Rev. George Buggin  Waterford

Rev. William Cocker  President of Canada Conference

Rev. Francis Delong  Euphrasia (Grey Cty)

Rev. Joseph H. Fowler  Bolton

Rev. Thomas Fox  Trafalgar

Rev. James Gaddis  Bervie

Rev. Adam Glazier  Received on trial in 1871 at Artemesia/Osprey

Rev. Samuel Bradley Gundy Aurora (York Cty)

Rev. Edwin Holmes  Manvers

Rev. Thomas S. Howard  Orangeville (Dufferin Cty)

Rev. John Hutchinson  Hamilton

Rev. Edward Kershaw  Louth (Lincoln Cty)

Rev. James B. Kershaw  Egremont (Grey Cty.)

Rev. Hamilton Leith  Goderich (Huron Cty)

Rev. James McAllister  Nelson

Rev. Francis E. Nugent  Milford

Rev. James O’Hara  Erin (Wellington Cty)

 Rev. George L Richardson  London City

Rev. David Savage  St. John’s Toronto

Rev. Robert Walker  Melbourne

Rev. O. Whitcomb  Bayham (Elgin Cty)

Rev. Henry Wilkinson  King (York Cty)

Read Full Post »

1878 Methodist Conference Montreal

1878 Methodist Conference Montreal

1878 Montreal Conference

The Second Session of the General Conference of the Methodist Church of Canada, will be opened in the Dorchester Street Methodist Church, Montreal, on Wednesday, September the 4th, 1878, at 9 a.m. The ordinary Sessions of Conference will be held in the said church, and the public evening meetings in the St. James Street Church.

Ministers

Harper, E. B., M.A., President
Addison, Peter
Bredin, John G.

Briggs, William
Burwash, Nathaniel, S.T.I).
Carroll, John, D. D.
Clarke, Jno. S.
Clement, E.
Creighton, Kennedy
Dewart, Edward H.
Douse, John
Fish, Charles
Green, Anson, D. D.
Hunt, John J.
Jeffers, Wellington, D.D.
Jeffery, Thomas W.
Keough, Thomas S.
Laird, Jno. G.
Laird, William H.
Learoyd, John
McCallum. Joseph W.
McDonald, Davidson, M.D.
McDowell, David C.
Nelles, Samuel S., D.D., LL. D.
Potts John D. D.
Ryerson, Egerton, D.D., LL.D., Pres. Gen. Conf.
Russ, Amos E., M.A.
Rose, Samuel, D.D.
Shaw, John
Starr, J. Herbert
Sutherland, Alexander
Tindall, W.

Willoughby, Nicholas R., M.A.
Wood,E., D.D.
Young, George, D. D.

Delegate Ministers

London Conference

Ryckman, Edward B., M.A., President
Andrews, Alfred
Brock, Thomas
Clarkson, John B., M.A.
Cornish, George H.
Cosford, Thomas
Dickson, G. N. A. F.T.
Evans, Ephraim, D. D.
Fowler, Robert., M.D.
Graham, James
Gray, James
Griffin, William Smith
Hannon, James D.D.
Henderson, W. C, M.A.
Hurlburt, Asahel
Langford, Alex.
Lavelle, Charles., M.A.
McAlister, James
McDonagh, William
Parker, William R., D.D. M.A.
Philp, John, M.A.
Preston, James
Rice, Samuel D., D.D.
Richardson, George
Robinson, Joseph H.
Sanderson, George R., D.D.
Savage, David
Slater, James C.
Sutherland, D. G., B. D. LL.B. S
Swann, Matthew
Wakefield, John
Williams, John A., D.D.
Williams, William
Willoughby, William

Montreal Conference

Borland, John, President
Beaudry, Louis N.
Blackstock, W. S.
Bland. Henry F.
Bond, Stephen
Campbell, Alex.
Davis, George H.
Douglas, Geo., LL.D.
Elliott, James, D.D.
Galbraith, William., B.C.L.
Hansford, William.
Hooker, Leroy
McGill, Wm
McRitchie, George
Pitcher, J. Tallmin
Robson, Ebinezer
Scott, William
Shaw, William I., M. A., LL.B.
Sparling, J. W., M.A.,B.D.
Stafford, Ezra A.
Whiting, Richard
Williams, Thomas. G.

Nova Scotia Conference

Taylor, James, President
Angwin, Joseph G.
Brown, W. C.
Coffin, Joseph S.
Heartz, William H.
Huestis, G. O.
Huestis, S. F.
Jost, Cranswick, M
Nicolson, A. W.
Rogers, Jabez A.
Temple, R. A.

Prince Edward Island

Hart, J. President
Currie, Duncan D.
Duncan, R.
Lathern, John
Paisley, C. H., M.A.
Picard, H., D.D.
Pope, Henry, D. D.
Sprague, H., M.A.
Stewart, C, D.D.,

Newfoundland

Milligan, G, S., M.A., President
Dove, James
Peach, J. S.

Read Full Post »

2conference1891

1891 Guelph Conference Attendees (Partial) – Berlin, Ontario

Ables, George     Toronto
Bartley, Thomas Edwin    Davisville North Toronto
Benson, Manley    Queen St. Toronto
Boyd, George    Queen’s Ave London
Caldwell, Henry    Mount Pleasant Nichol
Calvert, G. William    Paris
Campbell, Amos    Stirling
Chambers, Andrew    Wesley Toronto
Cohoe, Benjamin Livingston    Mountsberg/Freelton
Colling, Thomas    Plattsville
Collins, James Hubert    Merriton
Cooley, John W.     Colborne St. Brantford
Coombe, William    Richmond
Cosens, Charles W.    Caledonia
Cunningham, Andrew     Dublin St Guelph
Dobson, Charles     People’s Church Toronto
Dunham, E.A.    St. Thomas
Ecker, Daniel    Thorold
Fish, Charles    Toronto
Fish, Henry A.    Manitoulin
Foote, James Gordon   Cainsville
Griffin, William Smith    Central Stratford
Gundy, Joseph R.    Sarnia

Hannon, James    Norfolk St. Guelph

Henderson, George William    Wellington St. London
Howell, Jacob E.    North St. Goderich
Hunter John E.    St. Thomas
Hunter, William J.    St. James Montreal
Jackson, Thomas W.    Beamsville
Johnston, Hugh   Trinity Toronto
Kaye, John    Wellington St Brantford
Kennedy, James Henry    South Dorchester
Kenney, George Henry    Minesing/Simcoe
Kerr, George J.    Thorndale
Koyl, Eardley H.    Niagara
Lanceley, John Ellis    Toronto
Lawrence, George     Ingersoll
Laycock, John    Emerald St. Hamilton
McDougall, John    Saskatchewan
Mitchell, George A.   Zion Tabernacle  Hamilton
Moore, T. Albert    Simcoe St. Hamilton
Nugent, Francis E.    Mitchell
Oliver, Joseph W.    Essex St BME Guelph
Peake, William Henry    Ernestown
Philp, John    London
Pomeroy, William M.    Florence/Lambton
Reynolds, John   Highgate
Sanderson, George Rivers    London
Scott, Charles Taggart    West Lorne
Sipprell, W.J.    Thorold
Stevenson, James H.    Toronto
Taylor, D.H.     Port Colborne
Teeple, William M.   Troy
Tovell, Isaac     Gore St. Hamilton
Voaden, Thomas    Cathcart
Wakefield, John   Thorold
Walker, Robert    Walkerton
Webb. James   Northfield
Williamson, Jonathan S.    Oakville
Wilson, William H.    Scarborough

Read Full Post »


Districts:

Toronto District
Toronto East, Toronto West, Toronto North, Yorkville, Davenport, Seaton, Leslieville, Yonge Street South, Yonge Street North, Weston, Brampton, Streetsville, Cooksville, Mono, Orangeville, Albion, Klineburg, Scarboro

Hamilton District
Hamilton Centre, Hamilton West, Hamilton East, Dundas, Waterdown, Wellington Square, Glanford, Milton, Oakville, Hullsville, Cainsville, Grand River, New Credit, Hamilton (German)

Niagara District
St. Catharines, Thorold, Niagara, Drummondville, Welland, Dunnville, Grimsby, Smithville, Cayuga, Point Abino & Port Colborne, Caistorville, Port Dalhousie

Brantford District
Brantford, Mount Pleasant, Fairfield, Paris, Princeton, Woodstock, Oxford Centre, East Zorra, St. George, Norwich, Simcoe, Waterford, Port Dover, Walsingham, Port Rown, Lynedock, Tilsonburgh, Vienna

London District
London City, London South, London North, St. Thomas, Ingersoll, Salford, St. Mary’s, Aylmer, Fingal, Tyrconnell, Westminster, Port Stanley, Warwick, Strathroy, Adelaide, Mt. Brydges, Arkona, Exeter, Lucan, Ailsa Craig, Park Hill, Nissouri, Belmont, Dorchester Station

Chatham District
Chatham, Sarnia, Blenheim, Napier, Wardsville, Newbury, Mooretown, Wallaceburgh, Walpole Island, Florence, Moraviantown, Dawn Mills, Ridgetown, Kingsville, Amherstburgh, Romney, Windsor & Sandwich, Oil Springs & Petrolia, Wyoming, St. Clair

Guelph District
Guelph, Georgetown, Erin, Rockwood, Elora, Fergus, Peel, Galt, Drayton, Washington, Berlin, Preston, Heidelberg & Grey, Listowell, Teviotdale, Millbank, Arthur, Mount Forest

Goderich District
Goderich, Clinton, Seaforth, Mitchell, Stratford, Bayfield, Dungannon, Kincardine, Teeswater, Ainleyville, Trowbridge, Howick, Wingham, Lucknow

Owen Sound District
Owen Sound, Meaford, Walter’s Falls, Thornbury, Durham, Invermay, Paisley, Hanover, Artemesia, Chatsworth, Keppel, Saugeen, Cape Crocker

Barrie District
Barrie, Vespra, New Market, Aurora, Bradford, Bond Head, Innisfil, Cookstown, Lloydtown, Sharon & Mt. Albert, Rama, Orillia, Craighurst, Penetanguishene, Collingwood, Nottawasaga & Angus, Osprey, Horning’s Mills, Muskoka, Christian Island, Beausoliel, French River, Parry Sound, Coldwater, Bruce Mines, Sault Ste. Marie, Bachiwana Bay, Michipicoton, Pic & Nipegon

Whitby District
Whitby & Oshawa, Pickering, Markham, Bowmanville, Newcastle, Prince Albert, Uxbridge, Scugog, Brock, Beaverton Stouffville, Cartwright, Manvers

Cobourg District
Cobourg, Port Hope, Canton, Baltimore, Fenella, Colborne, Castleton, Brighton, Campbellford, Hastings, Percy, Ainwick

Peterborough District
Peterborough, Millbrook, Hiawatha, Lindsay, Oakwood, Omemee, Keene, Norwood, Lakefield, Mud Lake, Warsaw, Bobcaygeon, Minden, Fenlon Falls, Coboconk, Havelock, Bolsover, Hall’s Bridge

Belleville District
Belleville, Consecon, Ameliasburg, Picton, Bloomfield & Cherry Valley, Milford, Sydney, Thurlow, Marmora, Stirling, Frankford, Trenton, Demorestville, Shannonville, Hungerford, Bridgewater, Flinton & Addington Road, Madoc, Bannockburn, Denbeigh, Maynooth

Kingston District
Kingston, Napanee, Selby, Newburgh, Wilton, Odessa, Bath & Amherst Island, Cataraqui, Battersea, Gananoque, Pittsburgh, Centreville, Harrowsmith & Frontenac, Tamworth, Kennebec

Brockville District
Brockville, Smith’s Falls, Carlton Place, Pakenham & Arnprior, Merrickville, Elgin, Newborough, Bathurst, Maberly, Playfair, Fitzroy Harbour

Pembrooke District
Pembrooke, Westmeath, Portage du Fort, Renfrew, Calabogie, Alice, Clarendon, Onslow, Thorne, Vernacher

Ottawa District
Ottawa, Aylmer, Bell’s Corners, March, Richmond, North Gower, Long Island Locks, Osgoode, Bearbrook, L’Orignal, Grenville, Thurso, North Wakefield & Templeton, Aylwin

Montreal District
Montreal Centre, Montreal South, Montreal West, Montreal East, Lachine, Chambly, St. Johns, Odeltown, Hemmingford, Franklin Centre, Huntingdon, Ormstown, Cavignal, La Chute, North Gore, New Glasow, Shawbridge, Rawdon

Quebec District
Quebec, Point Levi, Three Rivers, Melbourne, Sherbrooke, Eaton, Dudswell, Bury, Leeds, Danville, New Ireland, Durham, Port Neuf, Metis, Gaspe

Stanstead District
Stanstead, Beebe Plain, Compton, Hatley & Cassville, Coaticoke & Barnston, Georgeville & Magog, East Bolton, Knowlton, Shefford, Lawrenceville, Granby, South Roxton, Roxton Falls, Stukely, Dunham, Frelighsburg, Farnham, Sutton, St. Armand, Clarenceville

Vancouver Island & British Columbia District 
Victoria, Nanaimo, New Westminster & Lower Fraser River, Cowitchen, Cariboo, Indian Tribes

Read Full Post »

CHRISTIAN GUARDIAN NEWSPAPER

Christian Guardian Newspaper

Founded on November 21, 1829, this weekly was the organ of the Wesleyan Methodists. It had a tremendous influence among all non-Conformists, pursuing a political middle of the road. Although violently opposed to the privileges of the Church of England, it generally supported the conservative side. Lord Sydenham called it “the only decent paper in both Canadas”, Its most famous editor was Rev. Egerton Ryerson, who edited it from 1829-1832, 1833-1835, 1838-1840. Before Confederation, it was also edited by Rev. James Richardson, Rev. Ephraim Evans, Rev. Jonathan Scott, Rev. George Frederick Playter, Rev. George R. Sanderson, Rev. James Spencer and Rev. Wellington Jeffers. The New Outlook absorbed the Guardian in 1925.

Listings of selected obituaries and some articles taken from the Christian Guardian.

The United Church Observer is one of the oldest and most respected church publications in Canada. Its origins date back to the first half of the 19th century, when Canadian Methodists decided to found a weekly newspaper. They called it The Christian Guardian and named Rev. Egerton Ryerson editor.

Ryerson earned a reputation as a “doughty controversialist who, by his facile pen, fought the battle of civil and religious liberty.” His passion and determination were his greatest strengths — and often his worst enemies: in his first 11 years as editor he was voted in and out of office three times by the Methodist Conference.

Starting out with the barest of resources, Ryerson guided The Christian Guardian to a circulation of 3,000 in its first three years. It came to be regarded as the leading newspaper of Upper Canada, a tireless defender of religious freedom, democracy and education. Ryerson went on to serve in government, and is credited with founding the public school system in Upper Canada.

His counterpart in the Presbyterian Church in Canada was Peter Brown, editor of The Banner, begun by the denomination in 1843. Brown’s son George was the paper’s publisher; he went on to found the Toronto Globe, now known as The Globe and Mail, and is a father of Canadian Confederation.

When Canadian Methodists, Congregationalists and most Presbyterians merged into The United Church of Canada in 1925, the three denominational newspapers also joined forces as The New Outlook. The publication became The United Church Observer in 1939. In the early 1950s, as the United Church began two decades of unprecedented growth, The Observer shifted from a newspaper to a magazine format. Under a plan that encouraged congregations to give every member a subscription, circulation peaked at over 300,000 readers in the early 1970s.

Like the Church Union that brought together three Canadian Protestant traditions, The New Outlook was the amalgamation of long- running Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregationalist journals. In 1939 it was renamed The United Church Observer. The inaugural edition of The New Outlook was published on the occasion of the founding services of The United Church of Canada, June 10, 1925.

Read Full Post »

« Newer Posts