Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Member’ Category

CharlesDepewThis picture shows the headstone at the Hamilton Cemetery for the Depew family, one of the earliest pioneer families in Hamilton.

Charles Depew served with Butler’s Rangers during the American Revolution and his father, John, was a Lieutenant in the Indian Department. In 1785, Charles Depew and his brother-in-law, George Stewart, came by canoe via Lake Ontario to the Head-of-the-Lake to find a suitable area for settlement on the lands made available by the British Crown. Stewart staked out a parcel of land, later known as Stipes’ Inlet, that presently is east of Wentworth Street to Gage Avenue and from King Street to the Bay. Depew and Stewart then left for one year to gather their belongings and family.

Charles married Magdalena Showers of Dundas and they had 15 children. Their daughter, Susan, married Simon Peter Stipe whose family was also from the Dundas area.

Charles, along with other Methodists, purchased property from Robert Land and together in 1824 they built the first church at the Head-of-the-Lake. That area is now the site of First Place, on the corner of King and Wellington Streets.

Captain Charles Depew died on March 21, 1825 and was laid to rest in the Stipes-Depew burial plot near Stipes’ Inlet. The City purchased the Stipes’ farm in 1919, with land on the west side being used as a disposal plant and land on the east occupied by coke ovens. By 1925, an agreement was made to sell the land to the steel company for $50,000.00 with a concession that allowed the city to retain

Read Full Post »

GeorgeEdgingtonParrySoundCHC002288727

George Edgington – Carpenter. Tin types. Built Edgington School and Orrville Methodist Church 1896.

Read Full Post »

NedEdgingtonParrySoundCHC002288723

Ned Edgington – Carpenter. Tin types. Built Edgington School and Orrville Methodist Church 1896.

Read Full Post »

ThomasLemonBHS002440823

William Thomas Lemon (1833 – 1926) and Mary Budge (1834 – 1907) were married on 22 December 1857.

Before their move to Aldershot, they were listed in the 1881 Census as living in Beverly Tsp., Cty of Wentworth North: Thomas Lemon, b. Ont, Farmer, age 47; Mary, b. Scotland, age 45; and their children Alfred 21, Alan 19, John 17, Charles 17, James 15, William 13, and Jessie 11.

In 1881 he purchased 84 to 86 acres of land in East Flamborough Tsp., Aldershot, which had been the property of Joseph Hancock (since the 1870s) in 1875. The single buggy-tracked lane originally known as Lemons’ Road later became Lemonville Road.

Thomas and Mary’s grown children soon married: Alfred (1859 – 1950) married Louise Schmuckle in 1895 in Los Angeles; , Allan (1861 – 1936 ) married Henrietta “Nettie” Scheer in January 1895; Charles “Charlie” (1863 – 1923) married Martha Hopkins in December 1893; his twin John Fredrick (1863 -1949) married Ida Scheer in January 1894; James “Jimmie” (1965 – 1959) married Annie McNeilly in January 1894; William “Will'”(1867 – 1948) married Mary Jane Hayward in June 1892; Jessie (1870 – 1963) married Fred Gardiner in March 1902.

Alfred moved to California in 1888, apparently looking for a better farming climate after a partial crop failure following severe frost. His younger brother James moved there in 1895.

Note: excerpt from an article in the Hamilton Spectator, June 1926:

“Wm. Thomas Lemon an Episcopal Methodist lay minister, after a few days illness, went home to be with the Lord, at his residence in Aldershot Ontario in his 93rd year. The funeral took place on June 8, 1926, with a large number of relatives and friends present. The service was conducted by Thomas Somerville of Brantford, ON who vividly recalled, in his eulogy, some of the blessed seasons, 50 years ago, when he became acquainted with Thomas Lemon preaching the Gospel to 400-500 on a Sunday afternoon for 6 successive summers in the woods near Lynden, ON., which was a short distance from his farm.

Thomas Lemon erected a fine hall on his Lynden farm, where for many years, meetings were held and souls saved and Christians led on in the truths of God’s Word.

Mr. Thomas Somerville gave this poem at Thomas’ funeral:

Loved and revered by those who knew his gentle, gracious ways
He now has gone to the bright Home to spend eternal days.
For many years he loved the Lord, and basked beneath His smile,
And we shall meet him soon again when passed a little while.”

Read Full Post »

BurlintonTAtkinson1893BHS000007863

Thomas Atkinson was listed as a merchant, age 35, born in England, a Methodist, Living in Burlington, in the 1891 census. He was elected Reeve in 1892 and 1894.

Read Full Post »

Acton Free Press  November 20, 1884

Rockwood News. (from our own correspondent.)

A memorial service was held in the Methodist Church on Sunday evening in honor of the memory of the late Francis Stout. Rev. Mr. Sparling preached a very fitting discourse. The funeral of the young man, last Friday, was largely attended, many from the village and surrounding country being present to pay their last respects to one who was universally esteemed and respected. Among the pall bearers we observed Mr. R. E. Nelson of Acton, one of the deceased most intimate friends in their schoolboy days.

Read Full Post »

Acton Free Press October 30, 1884

Mr. Nicklin’s Funeral.
The funeral of the late Benj. W. Nicklin, Esq., last Thursday afternoon, was largely attended. The bearers were Messrs. W. H. Storey, James Moore, W. P. Brown, C. T. Hill, W. Hemstreet and John Black, Eramosa. The cortege left the residence shortly after two o’clock and proceeded to Church Hill Cemetery where the interment took place. Rev. J. S. Colling preached a memorial service in the Methodist Church on Sunday, to a large and attentive audience, from the text:- “Redeeming the Time.” Eph. v.16.

Read Full Post »

JamesLonghurstMethNOTL002749284f

Portrait of James Longhurst (1846-1903), the first son of Elizabeth Catherine Teeter. Elegantly dressed young man, probably in his twenties, is sitting in the chair.

This is an early tintype, very dark and heavy (actually it is ferrotype). This size (2-3/8 x 3-1/2 inches) was probably the most popular one in years 1865-1880.

James Longhurst was born October 4, 1846 to George Longhurst (1820-1848) and Elizabeth Catherine Teeter (1826-1911). He died April 4, 1903 and was buried in the cemetery of the Methodist Church in Niagara-on-the-Lake (now Grace United Church).

Read Full Post »

Acton Free Press  August 2, 1883

Obituary.
It is our very painful duty this week to announce the death of Mr. Chas. W. Lasby, B.A., of this village, which took place last Friday morning. Mr. Lasby had been ill for several weeks, but it was hoped by all that he would rally and soon again be in possession of good health. His condition, however, received a heavy strain by a severe attack of typhoid fever last winter, and he was consequently unable to withstand this last illness. Mr. Lasby was a man respected by all who knew him. His advantages for securing a good education were very favorable, and he consequently attained a high standing in the ranks of the learned.

He was for a number of years a student at Victoria University, Cobourg, at which institution he graduated in 1881, with honors, securing the degree of M.A., and receiving the silver medal for general proficiency.

At the time of his death he was engaged in a law office in Toronto, this business having been his chosen profession. His prospects for a bright career were very promising, and his demise at the early age of 28 years is greatly regretted. The sorrowing family have the deep sympathy of the community in their affliction.

The funeral ceremony took place on Saturday afternoon, at 3 o’clock, and was very largely attended. The bearers were Messrs. Williams and St. John of Toronto, and Perry, of Brampton, three fellow-students with the deceased at Victoria University, Mr. James Brown, Brampton, and Messrs. J. Fyfe, merchant tailor, and H. P. Moore, editor FREE PRESS, Acton. Rev. W. Bryers preached a memorial sermon in the Methodist Church on Sunday evening.

Read Full Post »

JohnLSmithWhitby002767092

John Lawrence Smith was born on Lot 21, Broken Front Concession, Whitby Township, on 11 October 1838, and was a farmer all his life.

He was one of the founders and first trustees of the Whitby Methodist Tabernacle, and a founder and member of the Board of Directors of the Ontario Ladies’ College in 1874.

He was a member of the Whitby Township Council in 1875-77 and 1890-92; Deputy Reeve in 1893-97 and Reeve in 1883-4, and in 1898.

He was Warden of Ontario County in 1884. He died at his farm at Corbett’s Point, Lot 21, Broken Front Concession, Whitby Township on May 24, 1928 and is buried in Union Cemetery, Oshawa.

Mrs. Elizabeth (Strickland) Smith was born at England, on June 30, 1841, a daughter of John Strickland who lived in Oshawa. She married John Lawrence Smith, a Whitby Township farmer, on December 31, 1867, and died on the Smith farm at Corbett’s Point, lot 21, Broken Front Concession, Whitby Township, on March 18, 1913. She is buried in Union Cemetery, Oshawa.

Read Full Post »

« Newer Posts - Older Posts »