Posts Tagged ‘Canada’

Rev. John S. Marsden  Wesleyan Methodist


1845 George St. Peterborough

Central Methodist Cemetary Peterborough – A few paces away from this big monument is the grave of Rev. John S. Marsden, a Wesleyan missionary who died in 1845 in the prime of his manhood. Of him nothing is known and no record appears in Methodist church history in Peterborough. His tombstone is fallen from its pedestal and lies askew on the grave of the man who must have been one of the first ministers of the gospel to brave the hardships of pioneering in the district.





Read Full Post »

EdenvaleMethSimcoe1909The History of Simcoe County – Andrew F. Hunter, 1863 – 1940

The First Methodists

The first efforts of the Methodists in this county for the promotion of religious work can scarcely be associated with a particular spot, of which it could be said “here was the center of their movements.” The first Presbyterian workers were in connection with the Scotch Settlement of West Gwillimbury; while the Episcopalians regarded Shanty Bay as a centre for their early mission work. But if any place connects itself with the early Methodists, it would naturally be the islands of Lake Simcoe, where their efforts were directed about the year 1825 to christianize the pagan Ojibways, then so numerous.

Among those who first preached the Gospel to the Lake Simcoe Indians were Revs. Peter Jones, John Sunday, Elder Case, and others whose names are given in the published accounts, which it would be impossibe to summarize in detail. Many references to the early mission work on Lake Simcoe will be found in the Journal of the Rev. Peter Jones. Amongst the laborers in this mission field were also Revs. Gilbert Miller, Jonathan Scott, John and Thomas Williams, and the Rev. Dr. Rose; while of those who would pay occasional visits to different parts of the county, to perform the rites of baptism or marriage, and preach to the scattered settlers in their dwellings, there was Revs. Robert Corson, Ezra Adams, J. Richardson, Wm. and John Ryerson, and Henry Reid.

There was a controversy of some length in 1831-2 in the columns of the Christian Guardian (then, as now, the chief organ of the Methodist Church), regarding the Lake Simcoe and Matchedash mission to the Indians, in which the participants were Mr. Currie the school teacher, and the Rev. Mr. Miller, the missionary. The Rev. Gilbert Miller was the Methodist missionary at Orillia in 1832.

In 1824-5, (according to Rev. John Carroll’s “Case and his Cotemporaries,” vol. 3, p. 18), Rowley Heyland and Daniel McMullen, two Methodist Episcopal missionaries in the new settlements of Peel and Halton counties, had an appointment at Andrew Cunningham’s in West Gwillimbury. And in 1828, the Rev. John Black, a travelling Methodist missionary, held services at Monkman’s in Tecumseth, as stated in the chapter on that township (Vol II, p. 40).

Simon Armstrong, in a letter to John Robinson of Bond Head, gave his recollections of the origin of the old log-meeting house at the Sutherland appointment, lot 6, concession 8, West Gwillimbury, and of early Methodism in that locality. His remarks are worthy of a permanent place in connection with the history of this subject:–

“In the year 1835 a few of the settlers met in the house of Matthew Ney to discuss ways and means to build a meeting-house somewhere in the neighborhood. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Sutherland told of a promise they had made to their friends when leaving Ireland a few years before, that if ever they became owners of a farm in America, they would give a site and help to build a Methodist meeting-house. Their offer was accepted, being a sort of compromise site between the Parkers on the east and the Atkins and Longs on the west. Sutherland’s old log meeting-house may be called a pioneer of Methodism in the County of Simcoe. After all preliminaries were settled a subscription list was opened and each head of family was to subscribe at least two pounds, (to buy lumber, shingles, etc.,) and so many days’ work each. A poor man,–Matthew Woodrow–had no money to give, but he would hew the logs inside and out after the building was raised, which he did. It faced the east, its side to the road, with two square windows on each side, 7 by 9 inches glass.”

The Barrie Examiner of March 18, 1909, contained a list of the Methodist ministers in South Simcoe (with special reference to Thornton Church) from the earliest period to the present time. It is stated that the list, or at least the first part of it, was derived from documents preserved in the Library of the British Museum. The ministers in the earlier years, as given in the list, are the following:–


 Year Senior Pastor Junior Pastor
1829  Henry Schaler   James Currie
1830  Jacob Poole
1831-2  John H. Houston   Samuel Rose
1833  Gilbert Miller

 Year Senior Pastor Junior Pastor
1834  Robert Corson   Thomas Fawcett
1835  Horace Dean   Cornelius Flummerfeldt
1836  Horace Dean   John Lever
1837  Simon Huntingdon   John Lever
1838 Edmund Shepard   G. R. Sanderson
1839 Edmund Shepard  James Spencer

 Year Senior Pastor Junior Pastor
1840-1 John Baxter   Francis Coleman
1842  Francis Coleman   James Hutchinson
1843  Francis Colean   John Goodfellow
1844  Charles Gilbert   James Hutchinson
1845  William Coleman   Benjamin Jones

 Year Senior Pastor Junior Pastor
1846   William Coleman   Benjamin Jones
1847   Ezra Adams   Alexander Campbell
1848  C.ornelius Flummerfeldt   William S. Blackstock
1849  Cornelus Flummerfeldt   John Webster
1850  Luther O. Rice  Thomas Culbert
Cookstown Circuit was formed in 1851 with the Rev. Luther O. Rice as the senior pastor.

A list of the ministers of the Methodist church who ministered in the north part of this county, from 1836 onward, may be interesting at the present day. White’s log church (Dalston) was the local headquarters during the first years of the labors of this denomination.

1836 Rev. David Hardy was the first stationed minister in this part, making his home with William Larkins, sen., (lot 3, con. 1, Vespra), during his period of ministration. At this time Rev. Gilbert Miller was the resident missionary to the Indians, at Coldwater.

1837-1838 Rev. Thomas McMullen The first resident minister in Barrie. Rev. Jonathan Scott, missionary at Coldwater.

1839 Rev. William Price. Rev. Sylvester Hurlburt, missionary at Coldwater. In this year a largely attended Centenary meeting of the founding of Methodism was held at Kempenfeldt.

1840- Rev. Michael Fawcett, who resided at Painswick. About this time Rev. Dr. Anson Green preached at Quarterly meeting in the old log school-house in Barrie, which was then used as a meeting house.

1841-1843 Rev. John Lever, in whose time the first Methodist church was built in Barrie. Rev. Mr. Coleman was assistant for part of this time, and Rev. Reuben Robinson for another part.

1844-1846 Rev. Horace Dean, assisted part of the time by Rev. Francis Coleman. Notable visitors to the mission field about this time were Rev. William Ryerson and Rev. Hyram Wilkinson.

1847-1849 Rev. Luther O. Rice.

1850-1833 Rev. Lewis Warner, chairman of the Barrie district. Rev. Andrew Edwards, assistant for part of this time.

1854-1856 Rev. John Douse, chairman, with Rev. John Stokes Clarke assistant for part of his term.

1856-1859 Rev. William McFadden.

1860-1863 Rev. James C. Slater, chairman.

1864-1867 Rev. John Wesley McCallum.

1868-1870 Rev. George H. Davis, with Rev. H. Burwash as assistant for part of the term.

There were several other young assistant ministers during these years, many of whom subsequently became distinguished lights in the church. The first Methodist services in Barrie were held in an old log building near the N. W. corner of Dunlop and Mulcaster Streets, which at different times served as Mr. Sanford’s store, as a school-house, and as a meeting-house. This building satisfied the requirements of the day until 1841, when they erected their first church. In 1837, Rev. Wellington Jeffers, of the Wesleyan Methodists, preached regularly at Partridge’s, near Crown Hill. He was succeeded in 1838 by Rev. Mr. Steers. John, Richard and Thos. Williams sometimes held services as local preachers, afterwards receiving appointments in other fields of labor. These men were amongst the first advocates of temperance in the district. In the pioneer days, the people went to church at White’s Corners (Dalston) all the way from Innisfil township. Especially was this true of the Quarterly Meeting services.

Rev. David Hardy, the first resident Methodist preacher in the county, used to travel every week from Holland Landing to Penetanguishene in the discharge of his clerical duties. The members of his church lived from end to end of the county, and he ministered weekly to them at different places along the route. One of his appointments was at Gimby’s Corners (now Churchill).

Mr. Hardy performed some of his journeys through the county on horseback, although it is said that he was a rather unskilled horseman. Sometines when the roads were too bad he would leave his old black nag at a friend’s and finish his journey on foot. This pioneer preacher and the two or three others who immediately succeeded him were promised the sum of $100 by the parish for clothes and books, in addition to which their horses and themselves were to be fed by the parishioners. But they seldom received the whole of the promised yearly sum of $100 in cash, so poor were the people they served in those days.

Read Full Post »


The History of Simcoe County  – Andrew F. Hunter, 1863 – 1940

The year 1839 was the Centenary of Methodism – the one hundredth year after Wesley established his first societies in England for the promotion of religious work.

The memorable event was celebrated in Upper Canada by holding in all the principal congregations, Centenary meetings, each of which was attended and addressed by a deputation of divines appointed for the purpose.

Simcoe county was included in the district apportioned to the Revs. William Case, Joseph Stinson, M. Richer, M.A., and William Ryerson. An important centenary meeting in the annals of local Methodism was held at Kempenfeldt, and it created a deep interest amongst the adherents of this denomination. This meeting was central both as to its locality and as to the interest manifested in its proceedings.

Read Full Post »

Rev. Edmund Shepard


17 October 17, 1847, at Bytown, Rev. William ANDREWS, Wesleyan Methodist Minister,
to Armanella HOSKINS, step-daughter of John BURROWS, all of Bytown by Rev. Edmund Shepherd

July 7, 1848, George ARNOLD and Jane McCULLOUGH, both of Nepean by Rev. Edmund Shepherd

October 10, 1848, William Walter BROWN, to Eliza PALMER both of Bytown by Rev. E. Shepherd

November 7, 1848, C.A. BURPEE, merchant, and Mary, only daughter of William BOWLES,
both of Bytown by Rev, E. Shepherd


1838-1839  Newmarket (Simcoe Cty), 1847-1848Bytown

Read Full Post »

Rev. Henry Schaler


1829 Albion (Simcoe Cty)

Read Full Post »

1919AITerryBerryRev. Arthur Isaac Terryberry B.A. was baptized in the Wesleyan Methodist church Pickering  on May 14, 1866 by Rev. G. H. Cornish. (Arthur Isaac, son of Isaac and Jane Terryberry.) He married Laura Mill Treble, April 22, 1899 at Toronto

He was a Methodist minister, and was generally referred to as the “Rev. A. I. Terryberry”.

Rev A.I. Terryberry officiated at death of David S. Hagey, d. 23 Aug 1914 at Preston, ON.

He served as a witness (Rev. A. I. Terryberry of Burford) at the marriage of George Stalley of Brantford and Ellen White, 30 Jul 1889 in Burford Village.

September 2, 1915 Acton Free Press


1901 Canadian census, Port Rowan  Norfolk Co., ON,
Rev A. I. Terryberry, head, b. 27 Apr 1866 ON, eth German, Meth, minister
Laurie Terryberry, wife, b. 18 Jun 1870 ON, eth English, Meth

1911 Canadian census, Grimsby, Lincoln Co., ON Depot St.

Rev. Arthur I. Terryberry, b. Apr 1866 age 45, b. ON, eth German, Methodist, clergyman
Laura M. Terryberry, wife, b. Jun 1870 age 40, b. ON, eth German, Methodist
Mary L. Terryberry, dau, b. Jun 1902 age 8, b. ON, eth German, Methodist
J. Douglas Terryberry, son, b. Jun 1905 age 5, b. ON, eth German, Methodist
[Living with a domestic, Lilly Given, age 23.]


1901 Port Rowan (Norfolk Cty), 1911 Grimsby (Lincoln Cty), 1914 Preston (Waterloo Cty), 1915 Acton (Halton Cty), 1916 Hope Methodist (York Cty)

Read Full Post »

Rev. Peter Bryce was born near Glasgow into a working-class Scotish family in 1869. He later became a Methodist clergyman after immigrating to Canada in 1903.

For most of his career he ministered to the skilled working-class community living around the railway neighbourhood of Earlscourt in Toronto.

He was one of the founding members of the Toronto Neighbourhood Workers Association and as its president between 1916 and 1919 he lobbied for mothers’ pensions.

Rev. Peter Bryce was a reform-oriented Methodist minister in the community of Earlescourt in Toronto, Ontario. Throughout his career he worked on social reform and was particularly well-known for his work with low-income families and for the cause of prohibition. He wrote numerous articles pertaining to the social conditions of Toronto’s working class and served as the Moderator of the United Church of Canada from 1936-1938.

Earlscourt 1910

The spiritual leader of the Earlscourt Community during these difficult times was the Rev. Peter Bryce. Each night, Bryce would trek through Earlscourt’s muddy streets, aided only by a lantern, and a pair of high boots. His visits were said to have offered hope and inspiration to many families.

Rev. Bryce died on December 1, 1950 in Ottawa



1910 Earlscourt (East York) 1918 Central Methodist Church – Ascot Ave (York Cty), 1923 Woodbine Heights (East York)

Read Full Post »


Victoria College was originally founded as the Upper Canada Academy by the Wesleyan Methodist Church. In 1831, a church committee decided to locate the academy on four acres (1.6 hectares) of land in Cobourg, Ontario, east of Toronto, because of its central location in a large town and access by land and water.

In 1836, Egerton Ryerson received a royal charter for the institution from King William IV in England, while the Upper Canadian government was hesitant to provide a charter to a Methodist institution.

The school officially opened to male and female students on October 12, 1836, with Ryerson as the first president and Matthew Ritchey as principal. Although the school taught a variety of liberal arts subjects, it also functioned as an unofficial Methodist seminary. In 1841, it was incorporated as Victoria College, named for Queen Victoria, and finally received a charter from the Upper Canadian Legislature.

John Harper (architect) designed Victoria University Medical College (1871-2), Gerrard Street East at Sackville Street, Toronto which was demolished.

Cobourg18096f-Victoria College, Freshmen1883

Victoria College Freshmen 1883

Victoria University was formed in 1884 when Victoria College and Albert University federated with each other. In 1890, Victoria University federated with the University of Toronto. In 1892, Victoria University moved from Cobourg to its current campus on Queen’s Park Crescent, south of Bloor Street (at Charles Street West), in Toronto.

Cobourg18097f-VictoriaCollegeGraduating Class 1886

Victoria College Graduating Class 1886

A plaque was erected at 100 University Avenue at the intersection with College Street in Cobourg, Ontario.

Victoria College
The cornerstone of this building was laid June 7, 1832, and teaching began in 1836. First operated under a royal charter by the Wesleyan Methodists as Upper Canada Academy, in 1841 it obtained a provincial charter under the name of Victoria College, giving it power to grant degrees. Victoria’s first president was the Reverend Egerton Ryerson, newspaper editor and founder of Ontario’s present educational system. In 1890 the college federated with the University of Toronto and, in 1892, left Cobourg.

Cobourg18094f-Victoria College and Faraday Hall1878

Victoria College and Faraday Hall 1878

from Wikipedia

The cornerstone of this building was laid June 7, 1832, and teaching began in 1836. First operated under a royal charter by the Wesleyan Methodists as Upper Canada Academy, in 1841 it obtained a provincial charter under the name of Victoria College, giving it power to grant degrees. Victoria’s first president was the Reverend Egerton Ryerson, newspaper editor and founder of Ontario’s present educational system. In 1890 the college federated with the University of Toronto and, in 1892, left Cobourg.…from Ontario’s Historical Plaques

Victoria College was founded by the Wesleyan Conference; the institution was chartered in 1835, as an Academy, and by Act of Parliament, in 1812, was constituted a College, with power to confer degrees in the several arts and sciences – (the only degree yet conferred has been one in literature): it is supported partly by a legislative grant of £500 per annum, and partly by tuition fees. The building is handsome, and well situated, and cost nearly £10,000; it contains Library, Reading Room, Chapel, Laboratory, Lecture Rooms, &c. &c. Although the institution was founded by the Methodists, there is nothing sectarian in its character…from the Newcastle District


Methodists:   Report of Bishop Strachan’s address to the three hundred students present at the first matriculation of students at King’s College. He complained that the college should have been a Church of England institution as Victoria College was under Methodist control and that Queen’s College was under Presbyterian control. Chronicle and Gazette June 21, 1843 p. 3, col. 2

Read Full Post »

Rev. Jacob Poole was received on trial in 1863


1830 Albion (Simcoe Cty), 1864-1869 Cookstown (retired),

Read Full Post »


“A dedicated and faithful congregation of the United Church of Canada offering faith in Jesus Christ, hope in God’s love and acceptance in Jesus’ name through worship, prayer and service to our community.”

Church History

2011 – 175th Anniversary – Norfolk Street United Church, Guelph Ontario

Standing solidly at the base of Catholic Hill, in the the shadow of the magnificant Church of Our Lady Immaculate, is another, older, limestone church, that for the past 155 years has served the citizens of Guelph well. The oldest extant worship space on it’s original foundation, Norfolk Street United Church was built in 1856 as a Wesleyan Methodist Church. Quite a different picture, today, as cars passing by are such a change to the means of travel in those far-off days.

Though everything else has changed the Church remains the same, a silent reminder that we need God as much today as our forefathers did 175 years ago. It stands as a visable link with the past reminding us of the faith, courage and perserverance of the men and women who first settled here.

Many of the settlers who came brought with them a strong religious faith, whether they came from the Old Country or the United States. We are told very little of where they worshipped in 1827 and 1828 when John Galt’s town of Guelph was struggling to get a foothold in the wilderness.

It was nine years later, in 1836 that we have the recorded beginning of our church in a “little red chapel” on property owned by Dr. Henry Orton, on Nottingham St. By 1839, the Canada Company had given land to the Methodists, for the building of a church on the present site at the corner of Norfolk and Cork Street.

Quickly the members erected a frame building at that location, which faired them well for the next sixteen years. At that time Hutchison Clark, an architect from Hamilton (and future mayor), drew up plans for an impressive limestone church, 40 feet X 80 feet that was at the time the largest Methodist Church in Southwestern Ontario.

Over the years the congregation grew in numbers and in stature. We have had one Prime Minister, Lester B. Pearson, 5 Mayors, many City Councellors, many wellknown business and town leaders, one judge and many doctors, lawyers and ministers. For twenty-five years (1879-1903) James Mills was President of the Ontario Agricultural College with 12 other OAC professors in our midst. Edward Johnson began his operatic career in our choir in the late 1890’s and Maud Stevenson went on to become world known for her voice. Canada’s Poet Laurate (self-professed) James Gay stood amongst us.

Tales of pioneer hardship and deprivation have been told many times. Yet still we remember in wonder, that people accomplished so much with so little; that men and women with simple tools, their bare hands, and their own inventiveness cleared the land, drained the swamps, made their own clothing and provided their own food. Through all these difficulties God was with them and they wanted their children educated intellectually and spritually.

Ministers 1836-1925

Members Professions 1836-1925

Sunday School

Epworth League

Young People’s Mission Circle

Women’s Association

Jubilee 1906

Historical Photo Gallery

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »