Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Church’

…from Port Hope Directory 1856-57

BIBLE CHRISTIAN CHURCH

Organized, June 1853.
Location Hagerman Street.
Rev. John Brown Tapp and Rev. Hughes, Pastors
TRUSTEES:
John Vanston, Robert Bedford, James Martin, John X. Hinan, Samuel Naylor, Thomas Oke,
Thomas Minhinnett, William Hewson
SUNDAY SCHOOL:

Average attendance, 60; No. of Teachers, 12.
Hour of meeting, 2:30 p.m.
Henry Hills, Superintendent

Read Full Post »

Moscow Methodist

Moscow Methodist Church

MOSCOW

A post office on the N T & Q R, in Camden Township, Addington County, Ontario 18 miles northeast of Napanee, the county seat and nearest bank location. It contains Friends and Methodist churches, and a public school  Telegraph G N W and C P R. Exp, Can. Telephone connection. Pop, 120.

Zara Vanluven, Postmaster

Jackson & Whittle, blacksmiths
Miles Storms, undertaker
Palmer Walter, carriagemaker
Vanluven Bros, general store

…from 1898-99 Eastern Ontario Gazetteer and Directory

MOSCOW – The early settlers of the Moscow District were god fearing men and women, ever mindful of their religious responsibilities and obligations. Both the Wesleyan and Episcopal branches of the Methodist Church were represented in the community.

The Methodists realized that a meeting house or church must be built. A sanctuary known as the White Church was built in 1865 on the site of the present Moscow cemetery . It was later taken down and moved to Petworth.

The Wesleyan Methodist Church was built in the year 1869, a substantial stone structure and since the union is known as “The Moscow United Church”. The stone for this beautiful building was contributed by Mr. John Baker.

When the church was being built there was much discussion concerning a bell. The building committee concluded that they would have to do without one as finances had hit bottom. They were quite surprised to learn that a bell was waiting to be picked up in Napanee. The bell was placed in position in time for the opening and dedication. The bell was contributed by Mr George Garrison.

Moscow was part of the Wilton circuit, now it is part of the East Camden Pastoral Charge. Two major renovations have taken place the first in 1907 and cost $1,600.00 and re-opened on November 24th . In January 1964 the congregation decided that a major renovation take place.

On Sunday October 24th a “new Moscow United Church” was visited by 400 hundred persons who attended a special afternoon service. …from the Moscow United Church website

Wilton Circuit East Camden

1878moscowLennoxAddCty

PATTERSON,  John

Another landmark in the person of John Patterson, of Moscow, passed away, January 28th at a ripe old age, being in his 94th year. He was of a robust constitution and his reasoning facilities were unimpaired, being able to discuss any subject up to the time of his last illness which was of short duration, only lasting a day, sleeping peacefully away. The deceased was born in the County Tyrone, Ireland in the year 1812, came to Canada in 1831, settling for a short time in South Fredericksburgh. In the year 1838, he was united in marriage by Rev. Conrad Vandusen to Agnes Boyd, who predeceased him by two years. In 1842, they removed to Camden where he has since resided. He was a member of the Methodist Church over seventy-five years; was a local preacher in the Wesleyan Methodist Church up to the time of the union of the two Methodist bodies and was a great worker in the church, of his choice. He was frequently heard to say he did not fear death, and was ready to go when the Lord called him. In politics he was a staunch Conservative. The family comprised seven children two sons and five daughters, all surviving to mourn the loss of a loving father, S.A. Patterson, Centreville; Mrs. D.J. Cambidge, Yarker; Mrs. J.W. Switzer, Kenlis, Assa.; W.J. Patterson, at the old home, Moscow; Mrs. Murney Parks, Hawley; Miss Alice Patterson at home; and Miss Annie, in New York City. The funeral took place on Tuesday, January 31st, in the Moscow church. The services were conducted by Rev. W.H. Buckler, a former pastor, asisted by Rev. E. Farnsworth. The remains were placed in the vault to await interment. – Christian Guardian Obituary – January 28, 1906

Members:

John Patterson

Ministers:

1906 Rev. E. Farnsworth

Read Full Post »

EdenvaleMethSimcoe1909The History of Simcoe County – Andrew F. Hunter, 1863 – 1940

The First Methodists

The first efforts of the Methodists in this county for the promotion of religious work can scarcely be associated with a particular spot, of which it could be said “here was the center of their movements.” The first Presbyterian workers were in connection with the Scotch Settlement of West Gwillimbury; while the Episcopalians regarded Shanty Bay as a centre for their early mission work. But if any place connects itself with the early Methodists, it would naturally be the islands of Lake Simcoe, where their efforts were directed about the year 1825 to christianize the pagan Ojibways, then so numerous.

Among those who first preached the Gospel to the Lake Simcoe Indians were Revs. Peter Jones, John Sunday, Elder Case, and others whose names are given in the published accounts, which it would be impossibe to summarize in detail. Many references to the early mission work on Lake Simcoe will be found in the Journal of the Rev. Peter Jones. Amongst the laborers in this mission field were also Revs. Gilbert Miller, Jonathan Scott, John and Thomas Williams, and the Rev. Dr. Rose; while of those who would pay occasional visits to different parts of the county, to perform the rites of baptism or marriage, and preach to the scattered settlers in their dwellings, there was Revs. Robert Corson, Ezra Adams, J. Richardson, Wm. and John Ryerson, and Henry Reid.

There was a controversy of some length in 1831-2 in the columns of the Christian Guardian (then, as now, the chief organ of the Methodist Church), regarding the Lake Simcoe and Matchedash mission to the Indians, in which the participants were Mr. Currie the school teacher, and the Rev. Mr. Miller, the missionary. The Rev. Gilbert Miller was the Methodist missionary at Orillia in 1832.

In 1824-5, (according to Rev. John Carroll’s “Case and his Cotemporaries,” vol. 3, p. 18), Rowley Heyland and Daniel McMullen, two Methodist Episcopal missionaries in the new settlements of Peel and Halton counties, had an appointment at Andrew Cunningham’s in West Gwillimbury. And in 1828, the Rev. John Black, a travelling Methodist missionary, held services at Monkman’s in Tecumseth, as stated in the chapter on that township (Vol II, p. 40).

Simon Armstrong, in a letter to John Robinson of Bond Head, gave his recollections of the origin of the old log-meeting house at the Sutherland appointment, lot 6, concession 8, West Gwillimbury, and of early Methodism in that locality. His remarks are worthy of a permanent place in connection with the history of this subject:–

“In the year 1835 a few of the settlers met in the house of Matthew Ney to discuss ways and means to build a meeting-house somewhere in the neighborhood. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Sutherland told of a promise they had made to their friends when leaving Ireland a few years before, that if ever they became owners of a farm in America, they would give a site and help to build a Methodist meeting-house. Their offer was accepted, being a sort of compromise site between the Parkers on the east and the Atkins and Longs on the west. Sutherland’s old log meeting-house may be called a pioneer of Methodism in the County of Simcoe. After all preliminaries were settled a subscription list was opened and each head of family was to subscribe at least two pounds, (to buy lumber, shingles, etc.,) and so many days’ work each. A poor man,–Matthew Woodrow–had no money to give, but he would hew the logs inside and out after the building was raised, which he did. It faced the east, its side to the road, with two square windows on each side, 7 by 9 inches glass.”

The Barrie Examiner of March 18, 1909, contained a list of the Methodist ministers in South Simcoe (with special reference to Thornton Church) from the earliest period to the present time. It is stated that the list, or at least the first part of it, was derived from documents preserved in the Library of the British Museum. The ministers in the earlier years, as given in the list, are the following:–

IN ALBION CIRCUIT, 1829-33

 Year Senior Pastor Junior Pastor
1829  Henry Schaler   James Currie
1830  Jacob Poole
1831-2  John H. Houston   Samuel Rose
1833  Gilbert Miller

IN NEWMARKET CIRCUIT, 1834-9
 Year Senior Pastor Junior Pastor
1834  Robert Corson   Thomas Fawcett
1835  Horace Dean   Cornelius Flummerfeldt
1836  Horace Dean   John Lever
1837  Simon Huntingdon   John Lever
1838 Edmund Shepard   G. R. Sanderson
1839 Edmund Shepard  James Spencer

IN ALBION CIRCUIT, 1840-5
 Year Senior Pastor Junior Pastor
1840-1 John Baxter   Francis Coleman
1842  Francis Coleman   James Hutchinson
1843  Francis Colean   John Goodfellow
1844  Charles Gilbert   James Hutchinson
1845  William Coleman   Benjamin Jones

IN BRADFORD CIRCUIT, 1846-50
 Year Senior Pastor Junior Pastor
1846   William Coleman   Benjamin Jones
1847   Ezra Adams   Alexander Campbell
1848  C.ornelius Flummerfeldt   William S. Blackstock
1849  Cornelus Flummerfeldt   John Webster
1850  Luther O. Rice  Thomas Culbert
Cookstown Circuit was formed in 1851 with the Rev. Luther O. Rice as the senior pastor.

A list of the ministers of the Methodist church who ministered in the north part of this county, from 1836 onward, may be interesting at the present day. White’s log church (Dalston) was the local headquarters during the first years of the labors of this denomination.

1836 Rev. David Hardy was the first stationed minister in this part, making his home with William Larkins, sen., (lot 3, con. 1, Vespra), during his period of ministration. At this time Rev. Gilbert Miller was the resident missionary to the Indians, at Coldwater.

1837-1838 Rev. Thomas McMullen The first resident minister in Barrie. Rev. Jonathan Scott, missionary at Coldwater.

1839 Rev. William Price. Rev. Sylvester Hurlburt, missionary at Coldwater. In this year a largely attended Centenary meeting of the founding of Methodism was held at Kempenfeldt.

1840- Rev. Michael Fawcett, who resided at Painswick. About this time Rev. Dr. Anson Green preached at Quarterly meeting in the old log school-house in Barrie, which was then used as a meeting house.

1841-1843 Rev. John Lever, in whose time the first Methodist church was built in Barrie. Rev. Mr. Coleman was assistant for part of this time, and Rev. Reuben Robinson for another part.

1844-1846 Rev. Horace Dean, assisted part of the time by Rev. Francis Coleman. Notable visitors to the mission field about this time were Rev. William Ryerson and Rev. Hyram Wilkinson.

1847-1849 Rev. Luther O. Rice.

1850-1833 Rev. Lewis Warner, chairman of the Barrie district. Rev. Andrew Edwards, assistant for part of this time.

1854-1856 Rev. John Douse, chairman, with Rev. John Stokes Clarke assistant for part of his term.

1856-1859 Rev. William McFadden.

1860-1863 Rev. James C. Slater, chairman.

1864-1867 Rev. John Wesley McCallum.

1868-1870 Rev. George H. Davis, with Rev. H. Burwash as assistant for part of the term.

There were several other young assistant ministers during these years, many of whom subsequently became distinguished lights in the church. The first Methodist services in Barrie were held in an old log building near the N. W. corner of Dunlop and Mulcaster Streets, which at different times served as Mr. Sanford’s store, as a school-house, and as a meeting-house. This building satisfied the requirements of the day until 1841, when they erected their first church. In 1837, Rev. Wellington Jeffers, of the Wesleyan Methodists, preached regularly at Partridge’s, near Crown Hill. He was succeeded in 1838 by Rev. Mr. Steers. John, Richard and Thos. Williams sometimes held services as local preachers, afterwards receiving appointments in other fields of labor. These men were amongst the first advocates of temperance in the district. In the pioneer days, the people went to church at White’s Corners (Dalston) all the way from Innisfil township. Especially was this true of the Quarterly Meeting services.

Rev. David Hardy, the first resident Methodist preacher in the county, used to travel every week from Holland Landing to Penetanguishene in the discharge of his clerical duties. The members of his church lived from end to end of the county, and he ministered weekly to them at different places along the route. One of his appointments was at Gimby’s Corners (now Churchill).

Mr. Hardy performed some of his journeys through the county on horseback, although it is said that he was a rather unskilled horseman. Sometines when the roads were too bad he would leave his old black nag at a friend’s and finish his journey on foot. This pioneer preacher and the two or three others who immediately succeeded him were promised the sum of $100 by the parish for clothes and books, in addition to which their horses and themselves were to be fed by the parishioners. But they seldom received the whole of the promised yearly sum of $100 in cash, so poor were the people they served in those days.

Read Full Post »

jwesley5

The History of Simcoe County  – Andrew F. Hunter, 1863 – 1940

The year 1839 was the Centenary of Methodism – the one hundredth year after Wesley established his first societies in England for the promotion of religious work.

The memorable event was celebrated in Upper Canada by holding in all the principal congregations, Centenary meetings, each of which was attended and addressed by a deputation of divines appointed for the purpose.

Simcoe county was included in the district apportioned to the Revs. William Case, Joseph Stinson, M. Richer, M.A., and William Ryerson. An important centenary meeting in the annals of local Methodism was held at Kempenfeldt, and it created a deep interest amongst the adherents of this denomination. This meeting was central both as to its locality and as to the interest manifested in its proceedings.

Read Full Post »

The history of the congregation goes back to a Sunday School class conducted in the open air in the summer of 1916 by Mrs. Gibson of Hope Methodist Church. (We have been well called, ‘a Child of Hope!’). In the fall a cottage was rented from a Mrs. Wolfe. Rev. Roscoe Smith took charge, and Rev. A.I. Terryberry of Hope Methodist Church visited.

In April 1918, the Methodist Union bought a lot at the corner of Gledhill and Lumsden, and a portable Mission Church was erected which opened May 5, 1918. (Mrs. Florence Simpson (nee Thorton) was number 13 of 13 original members.)

In later years, Rev. Ernest Rands looked back with affection on this little white frame building surrounded by scattered homes. The rural setting explains the importance of the Harvest Home service in those early days. This Church was known as the Gledhill Avenue Methodist Church. It was not always weatherproof as we hear of at least one service when umbrellas had to be used inside the building.

Adam Beck (later Sir Adam) founder of Hydro, held a meeting in this Church. It was packed. He was accompanied by his beautiful daughter.

Rev. J. Stoodley came September 1, 1918. He was rememberedin later yars as being fond of the stuttering song ‘K-K-K-Katie’,

Rev. R.C. Burton came in September 1920 and put on the drive for a new church which culminated in the purchase of four lots at the corner of Woodbine and McMichael (now known as Mortimer), and the laying of the cornerstone on October 8, 1921 by Mr. W.W. Hiltz, Controller of the City of Toronto.

The basement was excavated by Charles Thornton, brother of Mrs. Florence Simpson.

The Church was opened on New Year’s Day, 1922. Among the parishioners were Mr. and Mrs Slimmon, parents of Mr. Carl Slimmon, present custodian, who is thus a link with our early history.

The Church at thsi time was known as the Woodbine Heights Methodist Church.

Its first historian was Mr. W.C. Curtis, a copy of whose history was placed in the cornerstone.

Rev. Joseph R. Real came until June of 1923. He had been, for twenty-five years, a missionary in China.

The Church was ready for the next epoch of its history

Reconstruction

This began September 3, 1923, with the coming of a very remarkable man, Rev. Peter Bryce, who is said to have ‘graced and room he entered’.

He had been instrumental in starting the Star Christmas Fund as far back as 1906, and now he put his great energiesinto building up this Church. His salary at first was only one hundred dollars a month. In November, twenty-five dollars was realized from a  lecture on Newfoundland by Rev. Archer Wallace, the well know Canadian autor, who was summer supply the next year.

In 1925, Rev Bryce founded the Woodbine Brotherhood and donated a set of Carpet Bowls. The same year Union was accomplished and the Church took up the name Woodbine Avenue United Church.

During the preceeding two years, congregations had grown five or six times, making necessary the reconstructionof the Church by adding wings to the original structure.

The cornerstone was laid on January 30, 1926 by Mrs. D.A. Dunlop who had contributed generously to the building fund.

Church architect was John Charles Batstone Horwood (1864-1938)

Evening services were held at the Prince of Wales Theatre with one thousand people attending.

Trustees of the Church were Thomas Munro, W. Thomas, Henry Slade (secretary of the Board and an outstanding layman), J. Craig, and Charles Courtney.

The address was given by the veryRev. George Pigeon, first Moderatorof the United Church, and the preacher of the evening service was Rev. James Endicott, also destined to be Moderator. Rev. Mr. Bryce, within ten years was to occupy the same high position.

While here, he lived at 358 Wolverleigh Blvd., which qualified it for title of ‘The Old Manse’. Up to the time of his death in 1950, he never forgot Woodbine and he came back often for special services. For many years he was Minister of Metropolitan United Church.

The land on which the church stands, was originally part of Lot 7 in the second concession from the Bay of York Township. It is of interest to note that this lot belonged as early as 1820 to Samuel Sinclair, no doubt the same man who gave the site of Don Mills Church, as related in the valuable history of that Church compiled by the Rev. J.C. McDonald and belonging to the same famous clan as Woodbine’s present Minister. …1974 Historical Notes by T.B. Higginson

Read Full Post »

whitbymeth2church1875

WHITBY, an incorporated post town in Ontario County, Ontario, with a junction station on the G.T.R., 30 miles east of Toronto. The town is one mile from the junction, and has a harbour on Lake Ontario, and a branch line on the G.T.R. running northward to Manilla Jct. (33 miles distant). It has 6 churches (Roman Catholic, 2 Episcopal, Presbyterian, Methodist and Baptist), about 25 stores, 3 hotels, a tannery, buckle and 2 pump factories, besides 2 chartered banks (Dominion and Western), 2 printing and newspaper offices (“Ontario Gazette” and “Keystone”), besides telegraph and express offices. Pop. 2,339 …from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

WhitbyGTRStation1909

Whitby Township (now the Town of Whitby) was named after the seaport town of Whitby, Yorkshire, England. In addition to Whitby, Yorkshire, the Town of Whitby is also officially twinned with Longueuil, Quebec and Feldkirch, Austria.

When the township was originally surveyed in 1792, the surveyor, from the northern part of England, named the townships east of Toronto after towns in northeastern England: York, Scarborough, Pickering, Whitby and Darlington. The original name of “Whitby” is Danish, dating from about 867 CE when the Danes invaded Britain. It is a contraction of “Whitteby,” meaning “White Village.” The allusion may be to the white lighthouse on the pier at Whitby, Yorkshire, and also at Whitby, Ontario.’ Although settlement dates back to 1800, it was not until 1836 that a downtown business centre was established by Whitby’s founder Peter Perry.

Whitby’s chief asset was its fine natural harbour on Lake Ontario, from which grain from the farmland to the north was first shipped in 1833. In the 1840s a road was built from Whitby Harbour to Lake Simcoe and Georgian Bay, to bring trade and settlement through the harbour to and from the rich hinterland to the north. The Town of Whitby was chosen as the seat of government for the newly formed County of Ontario in 1852, and incorporated in 1855. In the 1870s a railway, the “Port Whitby and Port Perry Railway”, was constructed from Whitby harbour to Port Perry, and later extended to Lindsay as the “Whitby, Port Perry and Lindsay Railway.”

Whitby is also the site of Trafalgar Castle School, a private girls’ school founded in 1874. The building, constructed as an Elizabethan-style castle in 1859–62 as a private residence for the Sheriff of Ontario County, is a significant architectural landmark and Whitby’s only provincial historic site marked with a plaque.

whitbymethchurch1875Whitby Methodist Church – 1875

A black and white photograph of the interior of the Methodist Episcopal Church. There are several people sitting on the pews (benches) inside the church. The organ can be seen at the back of the church.

The Methodist Episcopal Church was located at the corner of Church and Albert Streets. It was also called the White Church. It was built in 1845 on the east side of Church Street. The Methodist Episcopal Church (White Church) amalgamated in 1884 with the Wesleyan Methodist and Bible Christian Churches. At that time the White Church was closed. The church building was used for a short time by the Salvation Army and in the 1880s or 90s was moved to the north east corner of Baldwin and Roebuck Streets and converted into stores. The building was demolished in the 1920s. The choir leader at the church was Mr. Wyatt.

Opening Up A New Chapel in Whitby

...from the British North American Wesleyan Methodist Magazine

Whitby, July 5, 1842.

Reverend and Dear Sir,

I transmit to you, for insertion in the Wesleyan, an account of the opening of the British Wesleyan-Methodist Chapel in Whitby.

On Sunday, the 3rd of July, the solemn and interesting services appropriate to the occasion were conducted by the Rev. M. Richey, A. M., who in two excellent sermons, directed the attention of the congregation to the foundation, structure and glory of the Christian Church, and to the necessity of strictly adhering to those doctrines which were first delivered to the saints.

The forenoon sermon was taken from Ephesians, 3rd chapter, and the 30th and two following verses :- ” And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; in whom all the building fitly framed together, groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord ; in whom ye also are bnilded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.”

The Rev. gentleman, during the progress of this discourse, insisted in strong and emphatic terms, that in order to be come lively stones in this spiritual edifice, it was essentially necessary to build upon the true corner stone – the living foundation – “Jesus Christ himself ;” he contended that there was no mediator between God and man but the man Christ Jesus, and that the apostles themselves were but instruments, Divinely inspired indeed, but at the same time they were only instruments in the promulgation of Gospel truth.

After exhorting the congregation to examine themselves whether they could lay any claim to the character of living and constituent portions of the Church of Christ, he concluded an admirable discourse, by observing that the person who built upon any other foundation, was like the man who built his house upon the sand, who when the rain descended, and the winds blew and beat upon that house, it fell, and great was the fall of it.

The sermon in the afternoon was a practical continuation of the one delivered in the morning ; it was founded on the 3d chapter of Acts, and 43d verse – “And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.”

The chapel, both in the morning and afternoon, was densely crowded, and the congregation seemed to listen with deep interest to the word of truth. – After the close of each sermon, a collection was made to assist in defraying the expenses of the chapel ; a small portion of debt only, we are happy to state, remaining unpaid.

The opening of this chapel under such auspicious circumstances, forms a striking and delightful contrast to the state of the society in this place a year ago. At that period, there was no regular service at all, and but four individuals were united with us in Church fellowship, who attended divine service as often as practicable at Mr. Long’s chapel, four miles distant. But they were a faithful and united few; and though to all human appearance feeble in influence, as well as in numbers, yet they had power with Him who rules the universe. Often did they meet together and talk of the goodness of God, and unite in prayer for the Spirit’s influence upon the neighbourhood, and for a revival of the work of God. And in an especial manner did they pray, that believers might be watered by the refreshing showers of divine grace. God heard their prayers, and granted to them their hearts’ desire.

Preaching was established once a fortnight, first in a barn, and then in a dwelling house.

Numbers attended the ministry of the word, many of whom were brought to see the necessity of applying to Christ for pardon and remission of sins. It was indeed a lovely scene to witness those who had not only stood aloof from the cause of Christ, but had also persecuted and opposed us, presenting their broken, but fervent petitions before the throne of God, and crying in the language of the Publican,

” God be merciful to me a sinner.” If was truly delightful to see them stand before the faithful followers of Christ, acknowledge that God of a truth was among them, and say – ” This people shall be my people, and their God my God.”

During the month of February, of the present year, a protracted meeting was commenced, when there was a general turning to the Lord among all classes of the community, and numbers were they who for the purpose of ridicule “came to mock, but remained to pray.”

The meeting continued between two and three weeks; and during the whole of that period, in that inclement season of the year, and despite of the badness of the roads, night after night, the house was crowded to excess, and the people listened with profound interest to the messengers of truth.

At the conclusion of the meeting, between thirty and forty persons united with the society. Some of them, indeed, have lost their first love, and have turned back again to the beggarly elements of the world, but the greater part are rejoicing in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made them free – are walking under the smiles of his countenance, and pressing towards the heavenly Canaan with their faces thitherward.

May Almighty God preserve them, and “add unto the Church daily such as shall be saved.” – It is highly gratifying to be able to state, that we are to have a regular service in the new chapel every Sunday, and that several neighborhoods, both in Pickering and Whitby, are supplied with our Preaching.

“Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto thy name be all the glory.”

I remain, respectfully your’s,

George Flint.

1869-1870 Whitby District
Whitby & Oshawa, Pickering, Markham, Bowmanville, Newcastle, Prince Albert, Uxbridge, Scugog, Brock, Beaverton Stouffville, Cartwright, Manvers

Members:

James B. Bickle

Ministers:

1813  Rev. Thomas Whitehead  (Smith’s Creek)

1826  Rev. James Wilson

1828-1829  Rev. Robert Corson

1829  Rev. Conrad Vandusen

1830  Rev. Hamilton Biggar

1831  Rev. William Patrick

1831-1832  Rev. James Norris

1831-1832  Rev. David Youmans

1832  Rev. James Musgrove

1835  Rev. Thomas Fawcett

1836-1839  Rev. John Lever

1837-1838  Rev. Horace Dean

1840  Rev. James Spencer Jr.

1840  Rev. Robert Darlington

1843  Rev. Samuel Belton

1844  Rev.  Alvah Adams

1844  Rev. John Baxter

1844  Rev. George Carr

1845  Rev. John Garnett

1845 Rev. David Wright

1845-1849  Rev. Herman Davis

1846  Rev. David C. Clappison

1848-1851  Rev. Thomas Adams

1850  Rev. William Philip

1851  Rev. John Hayward

1852-1853  Rev. David C. McDowell

1855  Rev. Alexander Drennan

1856-1858  Rev. William Willoughby

1858-1859  Rev. Alfred L. Andrews

1859  Rev. John Hunt

1859-1861  Rev. Francis Coleman

1860-1862  Rev.  Lewis Warner

1860-1863  Rev.  J.F.F. Dickson

1862  Rev. Abraham  Dayman

1863  Rev. Francis Berry

1862-1868  Rev. John Law

1863-1865  Rev. George Cochrane

1864-1865  Rev. Ebenezer Will

1866  Rev. Joseph L. Sanders

1869  Rev. George Leech

1869-1870  Rev. Thomas Cosford

1871  Rev. Robert Sanderson

1874-1876  Rev. John Stokes Clarke

1878-1880  Rev. J. Wilks

1881  Rev. Charles Simpson

1881  Rev Samuel Salton

1889-1890  Rev. Edward Barrass

1908-1910  Rev. Edward Howard

Read Full Post »

NewcastleMeth1867Newcastle was incorporated as a town in 1856. It remained a small community until the 1990s, when new residential development began and the population quickly swelled. Newcastle had a jail in the late 1800s. Maps of Newcastle from those years have not been discovered. Many have tried to find the location of this jail; however, it is believed that it was either demolished or had been destroyed by the elements. There are jail cells in the Newcastle Community Hall.

Newcastle is filled and surrounded by agriculture farms raising cattle, pigs, apples, grain, and corn. Newcastle has a beautiful community hall, donated by the Massey family, one public high school (Clarke), one public elementary school (Newcastle Public School), one Catholic elementary school (St. Francis of Assisi), a post office, churches, a few plazas, several small parks, six restaurants, Tim Hortons, a new recreation complex, an ice arena, fire hall, two grocery stores, professional offices, hardware stores, a marina on Lake Ontario, and a golf course

The first Post office was opened in Newcastle in 1845 with John Short serving as Postmaster. Since 1845, there had been a total of 10 Postmasters in the village- Charles Gray being the last in 1991.

  • Joseph E. Atkinson (December 23, 1865 – May 7, 1948) was a Canadian newspaper editor and activist. Under his leadership the Toronto Star became one of the largest and most influential newspapers in Canada.
  • Daniel Massey, whose farm implement business eventually formed Massey-Ferguson.
  • Early settlers using sticks and spears could catch as many as 100000 salmon in one night from streams running into Lake Ontario. One man who had a great influence on the village was Samuel Wilmot. He became interested in the salmon as early as 1860 and built a “fish hatchery” at Newcastle – one of the world’s first. Wilmot would eventually become head of fisheries for Canada, and in the 1890s he was running a small generating station which supplied Newcastle with its first electrical power – from sunset until about 12:00 midnight.…from Wikipedia.com

Members:

Richard Osborne

Henry Middleton

James P. Lovekin

Ministers:

1842-1843  Rev. John Baxter

1843-1844  Rev. John W. Black

1844  Rev. James Hales

1844   Rev. William Coleman

1844  Rev. Thomas Demorest

1846  Rev. Robert Darlington

1847  Rev. William Price

1847-1848  Rev. Nassau C. Gowan 

1848  Rev. George Goodson 

1851 Rev. T. Reed

1852-1853 Rev. John English

1853  Rev. James C. Slater

1854 Rev. J. Hutchinson

1854-1855  Rev. William S. Blackstock

1855  Rev. John C. Ash

1855  Rev. William McFadden

1855  Rev. William Bothwell 

1856  Rev. Thomas O. Adkins

1856-1858  Rev. William Philip

1857  Rev. Edward Cragg

1858 Rev. W. Edward Walker

1859  Rev. James Graham

1859-1861  Rev. Francis Coleman

1861  Rev. George Henry Cornish

1862  Rev. Thomas Brock

1862  Rev. Isaac Brock Aylesworth

1862  Rev. J. McCann

1863  Rev. James Hannon

1863-1865 Rev. Alexander Campbell

1864  Rev. Edward Morrow

1866  Rev. Andrew B. Chambers

1866-1867  Rev. William McCullough

1867  Rev. Daniel E.F. Gee

1867-1869  Rev. Thomas Cleghorn

1868 Rev.  James A. McClung

1869  Rev. Richard W. Williams 

1871  Rev. William McDonagh

1872 Rev. Christopher L. Thompson

1873  Rev. Isaac Brock Aylesworth

1873 Rev. Robert Newton Hill

1874-1876 Rev. Peter Addison

1874 Rev. Andrew W. Ross

1875-1876 Rev. Jabez Wass

1876-1878 Rev. William Henry Emsley

1877 Rev. Edward Hill

1877  Rev.  William C. Jolley 

1877-1879  Rev. Jacob E. Howell

1879-1880 Rev. William James Barkwell

1880-1882  Rev. Jonathan E. Betts

1881 Rev. Thomas P. Steel

1882 Rev. Benjamin Gardiner Greatrix

1883 Rev. William M. Pattyson

1883-1885 Rev. Peter Addison

1884 Rev. A. Richard

1885-1887 Rev. Robert Walker  

1886-1888 Rev. Thomas Dunlop

1888 Rev. James Thom

1889-1890 Rev. George Edwards

1891-1892 Rev. Daniel E. F. Gee

1893 Rev. Robert M. Pope

1893-1894 Rev. Joseph R, Real

1894-1895 Rev. G. H. Copeland

1896-1898 Rev. Robert Taylor

1899-1902 Rev. Thomas J. Edmison

1903-1906 Rev. John C. Wilson

1907-1910 Rev. A. M. Irwin

1911-1914 Rev. George R. Clare

1915-1918 Rev. John A, Connell

1919- 1921 Rev. Hamilton S. Spence

1922-1924 Rev. Enoch R. Cooke

Read Full Post »

ListowelMeth

LISTOWELL. an incoroorated town in Perth County, Ontario, on the Lake Erie and Detroit River, and on Palmerston and Kincardine branches of the G.T.R.. 8 miles from Palmerston. 27 miles from Stratford. It contains 9 churches, about 40 stores, 3 hotels, 2 branch banks, a public library, several mills and factories, 2 printing offices issuing weekly newspapers. Pop. (census 1901) 2.693  ...from Lovell’s 1906 Canada Gazetteer

Town History

Settler John Binning arrived in 1857 and was the first to create a permanent residence in the area. The community was originally named Mapleton, but the name was changed when a post office was established. The new name was chosen by a government official and refers to Listowel, Ireland. The majority of early settlers were of Protestant Irish origin (Ulster Scots Planters, or English Planters). Incorporated in 1867 as a village and in 1875 as a town, Listowel is now part of the town of North Perth…from Wikipedia.com

ListowelOntGTR1910

Listowel GTR Station – 1910

 

per m ListowelWallace

1869-1870 Guelph District

Guelph, Georgetown, Erin, Rockwood, Elora, Fergus, Peel, Galt, Drayton, Washington, Berlin, Preston, Heidelberg & Grey, Listowel, Teviotdale, Millbank, Arthur, Mount Forest

Members:

William Edward Billing (1851-1928) Church Architect

John Waldron Scott

Annie West

Ministers:

1866-1869  Rev. William W. Shepherd

1867  Rev. John Armstrong

1867  Rev. Thomas W. Jackson

1867-1871  Rev. Joseph E. Sanderson

1868  Rev. William Watson Edwards

1868  Rev. Edwin Anning Chown 

1870-1871  Rev. Nelson  Brown 

1871  Rev. Henry Berry

1871-1873  Rev. John Gardiner Scott

1874-1875  Rev. John W. Cooley

1875-1876  Rev. Matthew Swann

1879-1881  Rev. Robert Fowler

1884-1886  Rev. George Buggin

1887-1889  Rev. John Wesley Gilpin

1888  Rev. Francis E. Nugent

1890-1892  Rev. Thomas Amy 

 

Read Full Post »

MountBrydgesUC1ONsepia

Mount Brydges has a small commercial “downtown” featuring mostly local businesses and shops. Local agriculture includes maize, tobacco and wheat. The soil composition of the region is largely sandy (a phenomenon referred to locally as the “Caradoc Sand Plains”) as a result of deposits created on the bottom of the glacial Lake Whittlesey which covered the area approximately 13,000 years ago.

The village came into existence as a result of the construction of the western division of the Great Western Railroad from City of London, Ontario to Windsor, Ontario, at the point where it crossed the existing road from Delaware, Ontario to Strathroy. This crossing happened to be at the point of greatest elevation on this division, the railroad having just climbed out of the valley of the Thames River from London. The station was named for Charles John Brydges the Managing Director of the Railroad. Contrary to a previous suggestion the name had nothing to do with an early settler named Mount, who had left the area more than two decades earlier.…from Wikipedia.com

Delaware History
The first white settlement of Middlesex County was here, in the old hunting grounds of the Huron and Mississauga peoples. Ronald McDonald patented the land on which Delaware Village stands in 1798. He sold it to Dr Oliver Tiffany, whose brother Gideon arrived in 1802 to plan the village, the old village just north of the present village. The present village was established in 1832 when Henry Rawlings built the first house, which also housed the first hotel, known as the Western Hotel. This stood on the south side of Commissioner’s Road.
…from “One-day trips through the history of Southwest Ontario” http://www.herontrips.com/

1869-1879 London District
London City, London South, London North, St. Thomas, Ingersoll, Salford, St. Mary’s, Aylmer, Fingal, Tyrconnell, Westminster, Port Stanley, Warwick, Strathroy, Adelaide, Mt. Brydges, Arkona, Exeter, Lucan, Ailsa Craig, Park Hill, Nissouri, Belmont, Dorchester Station

Ministers:

1858  Rev. Thomas Brock

1861-1862  Rev. Edward Cragg

1863-1865  Rev. George Kennedy

1866=1867  Rev. John Hough

1866-1869  Rev. James Henry Kennedy

Read Full Post »

StrathconaMethAlta1908Metropolitan Methodist Strathcona Alberta 1908

StrathconaCornerstone

Ministers:

1911  Rev. Arthur H, Schultz

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »