Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Member’

NewcastleMeth1867Newcastle was incorporated as a town in 1856. It remained a small community until the 1990s, when new residential development began and the population quickly swelled. Newcastle had a jail in the late 1800s. Maps of Newcastle from those years have not been discovered. Many have tried to find the location of this jail; however, it is believed that it was either demolished or had been destroyed by the elements. There are jail cells in the Newcastle Community Hall.

Newcastle is filled and surrounded by agriculture farms raising cattle, pigs, apples, grain, and corn. Newcastle has a beautiful community hall, donated by the Massey family, one public high school (Clarke), one public elementary school (Newcastle Public School), one Catholic elementary school (St. Francis of Assisi), a post office, churches, a few plazas, several small parks, six restaurants, Tim Hortons, a new recreation complex, an ice arena, fire hall, two grocery stores, professional offices, hardware stores, a marina on Lake Ontario, and a golf course

The first Post office was opened in Newcastle in 1845 with John Short serving as Postmaster. Since 1845, there had been a total of 10 Postmasters in the village- Charles Gray being the last in 1991.

  • Joseph E. Atkinson (December 23, 1865 – May 7, 1948) was a Canadian newspaper editor and activist. Under his leadership the Toronto Star became one of the largest and most influential newspapers in Canada.
  • Daniel Massey, whose farm implement business eventually formed Massey-Ferguson.
  • Early settlers using sticks and spears could catch as many as 100000 salmon in one night from streams running into Lake Ontario. One man who had a great influence on the village was Samuel Wilmot. He became interested in the salmon as early as 1860 and built a “fish hatchery” at Newcastle – one of the world’s first. Wilmot would eventually become head of fisheries for Canada, and in the 1890s he was running a small generating station which supplied Newcastle with its first electrical power – from sunset until about 12:00 midnight.…from Wikipedia.com

Members:

Richard Osborne

Henry Middleton

James P. Lovekin

Ministers:

1842-1843  Rev. John Baxter

1843-1844  Rev. John W. Black

1844  Rev. James Hales

1844   Rev. William Coleman

1844  Rev. Thomas Demorest

1846  Rev. Robert Darlington

1847  Rev. William Price

1847-1848  Rev. Nassau C. Gowan 

1848  Rev. George Goodson 

1851 Rev. T. Reed

1852-1853 Rev. John English

1853  Rev. James C. Slater

1854 Rev. J. Hutchinson

1854-1855  Rev. William S. Blackstock

1855  Rev. John C. Ash

1855  Rev. William McFadden

1855  Rev. William Bothwell 

1856  Rev. Thomas O. Adkins

1856-1858  Rev. William Philip

1857  Rev. Edward Cragg

1858 Rev. W. Edward Walker

1859  Rev. James Graham

1859-1861  Rev. Francis Coleman

1861  Rev. George Henry Cornish

1862  Rev. Thomas Brock

1862  Rev. Isaac Brock Aylesworth

1862  Rev. J. McCann

1863  Rev. James Hannon

1863-1865 Rev. Alexander Campbell

1864  Rev. Edward Morrow

1866  Rev. Andrew B. Chambers

1866-1867  Rev. William McCullough

1867  Rev. Daniel E.F. Gee

1867-1869  Rev. Thomas Cleghorn

1868 Rev.  James A. McClung

1869  Rev. Richard W. Williams 

1871  Rev. William McDonagh

1872 Rev. Christopher L. Thompson

1873  Rev. Isaac Brock Aylesworth

1873 Rev. Robert Newton Hill

1874-1876 Rev. Peter Addison

1874 Rev. Andrew W. Ross

1875-1876 Rev. Jabez Wass

1876-1878 Rev. William Henry Emsley

1877 Rev. Edward Hill

1877  Rev.  William C. Jolley 

1877-1879  Rev. Jacob E. Howell

1879-1880 Rev. William James Barkwell

1880-1882  Rev. Jonathan E. Betts

1881 Rev. Thomas P. Steel

1882 Rev. Benjamin Gardiner Greatrix

1883 Rev. William M. Pattyson

1883-1885 Rev. Peter Addison

1884 Rev. A. Richard

1885-1887 Rev. Robert Walker  

1886-1888 Rev. Thomas Dunlop

1888 Rev. James Thom

1889-1890 Rev. George Edwards

1891-1892 Rev. Daniel E. F. Gee

1893 Rev. Robert M. Pope

1893-1894 Rev. Joseph R, Real

1894-1895 Rev. G. H. Copeland

1896-1898 Rev. Robert Taylor

1899-1902 Rev. Thomas J. Edmison

1903-1906 Rev. John C. Wilson

1907-1910 Rev. A. M. Irwin

1911-1914 Rev. George R. Clare

1915-1918 Rev. John A, Connell

1919- 1921 Rev. Hamilton S. Spence

1922-1924 Rev. Enoch R. Cooke

Read Full Post »

norfolk897

“A dedicated and faithful congregation of the United Church of Canada offering faith in Jesus Christ, hope in God’s love and acceptance in Jesus’ name through worship, prayer and service to our community.”

Church History

2011 – 175th Anniversary – Norfolk Street United Church, Guelph Ontario

Standing solidly at the base of Catholic Hill, in the the shadow of the magnificant Church of Our Lady Immaculate, is another, older, limestone church, that for the past 155 years has served the citizens of Guelph well. The oldest extant worship space on it’s original foundation, Norfolk Street United Church was built in 1856 as a Wesleyan Methodist Church. Quite a different picture, today, as cars passing by are such a change to the means of travel in those far-off days.

Though everything else has changed the Church remains the same, a silent reminder that we need God as much today as our forefathers did 175 years ago. It stands as a visable link with the past reminding us of the faith, courage and perserverance of the men and women who first settled here.

Many of the settlers who came brought with them a strong religious faith, whether they came from the Old Country or the United States. We are told very little of where they worshipped in 1827 and 1828 when John Galt’s town of Guelph was struggling to get a foothold in the wilderness.

It was nine years later, in 1836 that we have the recorded beginning of our church in a “little red chapel” on property owned by Dr. Henry Orton, on Nottingham St. By 1839, the Canada Company had given land to the Methodists, for the building of a church on the present site at the corner of Norfolk and Cork Street.

Quickly the members erected a frame building at that location, which faired them well for the next sixteen years. At that time Hutchison Clark, an architect from Hamilton (and future mayor), drew up plans for an impressive limestone church, 40 feet X 80 feet that was at the time the largest Methodist Church in Southwestern Ontario.

Over the years the congregation grew in numbers and in stature. We have had one Prime Minister, Lester B. Pearson, 5 Mayors, many City Councellors, many wellknown business and town leaders, one judge and many doctors, lawyers and ministers. For twenty-five years (1879-1903) James Mills was President of the Ontario Agricultural College with 12 other OAC professors in our midst. Edward Johnson began his operatic career in our choir in the late 1890’s and Maud Stevenson went on to become world known for her voice. Canada’s Poet Laurate (self-professed) James Gay stood amongst us.

Tales of pioneer hardship and deprivation have been told many times. Yet still we remember in wonder, that people accomplished so much with so little; that men and women with simple tools, their bare hands, and their own inventiveness cleared the land, drained the swamps, made their own clothing and provided their own food. Through all these difficulties God was with them and they wanted their children educated intellectually and spritually.

Ministers 1836-1925

Members Professions 1836-1925

Sunday School

Epworth League

Young People’s Mission Circle

Women’s Association

Jubilee 1906

Historical Photo Gallery

Read Full Post »