Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Minister’

Rev. John S. Marsden  Wesleyan Methodist

Charges:

1845 George St. Peterborough

Central Methodist Cemetary Peterborough – A few paces away from this big monument is the grave of Rev. John S. Marsden, a Wesleyan missionary who died in 1845 in the prime of his manhood. Of him nothing is known and no record appears in Methodist church history in Peterborough. His tombstone is fallen from its pedestal and lies askew on the grave of the man who must have been one of the first ministers of the gospel to brave the hardships of pioneering in the district.

 

 

 

 

Read Full Post »

EdenvaleMethSimcoe1909The History of Simcoe County – Andrew F. Hunter, 1863 – 1940

The First Methodists

The first efforts of the Methodists in this county for the promotion of religious work can scarcely be associated with a particular spot, of which it could be said “here was the center of their movements.” The first Presbyterian workers were in connection with the Scotch Settlement of West Gwillimbury; while the Episcopalians regarded Shanty Bay as a centre for their early mission work. But if any place connects itself with the early Methodists, it would naturally be the islands of Lake Simcoe, where their efforts were directed about the year 1825 to christianize the pagan Ojibways, then so numerous.

Among those who first preached the Gospel to the Lake Simcoe Indians were Revs. Peter Jones, John Sunday, Elder Case, and others whose names are given in the published accounts, which it would be impossibe to summarize in detail. Many references to the early mission work on Lake Simcoe will be found in the Journal of the Rev. Peter Jones. Amongst the laborers in this mission field were also Revs. Gilbert Miller, Jonathan Scott, John and Thomas Williams, and the Rev. Dr. Rose; while of those who would pay occasional visits to different parts of the county, to perform the rites of baptism or marriage, and preach to the scattered settlers in their dwellings, there was Revs. Robert Corson, Ezra Adams, J. Richardson, Wm. and John Ryerson, and Henry Reid.

There was a controversy of some length in 1831-2 in the columns of the Christian Guardian (then, as now, the chief organ of the Methodist Church), regarding the Lake Simcoe and Matchedash mission to the Indians, in which the participants were Mr. Currie the school teacher, and the Rev. Mr. Miller, the missionary. The Rev. Gilbert Miller was the Methodist missionary at Orillia in 1832.

In 1824-5, (according to Rev. John Carroll’s “Case and his Cotemporaries,” vol. 3, p. 18), Rowley Heyland and Daniel McMullen, two Methodist Episcopal missionaries in the new settlements of Peel and Halton counties, had an appointment at Andrew Cunningham’s in West Gwillimbury. And in 1828, the Rev. John Black, a travelling Methodist missionary, held services at Monkman’s in Tecumseth, as stated in the chapter on that township (Vol II, p. 40).

Simon Armstrong, in a letter to John Robinson of Bond Head, gave his recollections of the origin of the old log-meeting house at the Sutherland appointment, lot 6, concession 8, West Gwillimbury, and of early Methodism in that locality. His remarks are worthy of a permanent place in connection with the history of this subject:–

“In the year 1835 a few of the settlers met in the house of Matthew Ney to discuss ways and means to build a meeting-house somewhere in the neighborhood. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Sutherland told of a promise they had made to their friends when leaving Ireland a few years before, that if ever they became owners of a farm in America, they would give a site and help to build a Methodist meeting-house. Their offer was accepted, being a sort of compromise site between the Parkers on the east and the Atkins and Longs on the west. Sutherland’s old log meeting-house may be called a pioneer of Methodism in the County of Simcoe. After all preliminaries were settled a subscription list was opened and each head of family was to subscribe at least two pounds, (to buy lumber, shingles, etc.,) and so many days’ work each. A poor man,–Matthew Woodrow–had no money to give, but he would hew the logs inside and out after the building was raised, which he did. It faced the east, its side to the road, with two square windows on each side, 7 by 9 inches glass.”

The Barrie Examiner of March 18, 1909, contained a list of the Methodist ministers in South Simcoe (with special reference to Thornton Church) from the earliest period to the present time. It is stated that the list, or at least the first part of it, was derived from documents preserved in the Library of the British Museum. The ministers in the earlier years, as given in the list, are the following:–

IN ALBION CIRCUIT, 1829-33

 Year Senior Pastor Junior Pastor
1829  Henry Schaler   James Currie
1830  Jacob Poole
1831-2  John H. Houston   Samuel Rose
1833  Gilbert Miller

IN NEWMARKET CIRCUIT, 1834-9
 Year Senior Pastor Junior Pastor
1834  Robert Corson   Thomas Fawcett
1835  Horace Dean   Cornelius Flummerfeldt
1836  Horace Dean   John Lever
1837  Simon Huntingdon   John Lever
1838 Edmund Shepard   G. R. Sanderson
1839 Edmund Shepard  James Spencer

IN ALBION CIRCUIT, 1840-5
 Year Senior Pastor Junior Pastor
1840-1 John Baxter   Francis Coleman
1842  Francis Coleman   James Hutchinson
1843  Francis Colean   John Goodfellow
1844  Charles Gilbert   James Hutchinson
1845  William Coleman   Benjamin Jones

IN BRADFORD CIRCUIT, 1846-50
 Year Senior Pastor Junior Pastor
1846   William Coleman   Benjamin Jones
1847   Ezra Adams   Alexander Campbell
1848  C.ornelius Flummerfeldt   William S. Blackstock
1849  Cornelus Flummerfeldt   John Webster
1850  Luther O. Rice  Thomas Culbert
Cookstown Circuit was formed in 1851 with the Rev. Luther O. Rice as the senior pastor.

A list of the ministers of the Methodist church who ministered in the north part of this county, from 1836 onward, may be interesting at the present day. White’s log church (Dalston) was the local headquarters during the first years of the labors of this denomination.

1836 Rev. David Hardy was the first stationed minister in this part, making his home with William Larkins, sen., (lot 3, con. 1, Vespra), during his period of ministration. At this time Rev. Gilbert Miller was the resident missionary to the Indians, at Coldwater.

1837-1838 Rev. Thomas McMullen The first resident minister in Barrie. Rev. Jonathan Scott, missionary at Coldwater.

1839 Rev. William Price. Rev. Sylvester Hurlburt, missionary at Coldwater. In this year a largely attended Centenary meeting of the founding of Methodism was held at Kempenfeldt.

1840- Rev. Michael Fawcett, who resided at Painswick. About this time Rev. Dr. Anson Green preached at Quarterly meeting in the old log school-house in Barrie, which was then used as a meeting house.

1841-1843 Rev. John Lever, in whose time the first Methodist church was built in Barrie. Rev. Mr. Coleman was assistant for part of this time, and Rev. Reuben Robinson for another part.

1844-1846 Rev. Horace Dean, assisted part of the time by Rev. Francis Coleman. Notable visitors to the mission field about this time were Rev. William Ryerson and Rev. Hyram Wilkinson.

1847-1849 Rev. Luther O. Rice.

1850-1833 Rev. Lewis Warner, chairman of the Barrie district. Rev. Andrew Edwards, assistant for part of this time.

1854-1856 Rev. John Douse, chairman, with Rev. John Stokes Clarke assistant for part of his term.

1856-1859 Rev. William McFadden.

1860-1863 Rev. James C. Slater, chairman.

1864-1867 Rev. John Wesley McCallum.

1868-1870 Rev. George H. Davis, with Rev. H. Burwash as assistant for part of the term.

There were several other young assistant ministers during these years, many of whom subsequently became distinguished lights in the church. The first Methodist services in Barrie were held in an old log building near the N. W. corner of Dunlop and Mulcaster Streets, which at different times served as Mr. Sanford’s store, as a school-house, and as a meeting-house. This building satisfied the requirements of the day until 1841, when they erected their first church. In 1837, Rev. Wellington Jeffers, of the Wesleyan Methodists, preached regularly at Partridge’s, near Crown Hill. He was succeeded in 1838 by Rev. Mr. Steers. John, Richard and Thos. Williams sometimes held services as local preachers, afterwards receiving appointments in other fields of labor. These men were amongst the first advocates of temperance in the district. In the pioneer days, the people went to church at White’s Corners (Dalston) all the way from Innisfil township. Especially was this true of the Quarterly Meeting services.

Rev. David Hardy, the first resident Methodist preacher in the county, used to travel every week from Holland Landing to Penetanguishene in the discharge of his clerical duties. The members of his church lived from end to end of the county, and he ministered weekly to them at different places along the route. One of his appointments was at Gimby’s Corners (now Churchill).

Mr. Hardy performed some of his journeys through the county on horseback, although it is said that he was a rather unskilled horseman. Sometines when the roads were too bad he would leave his old black nag at a friend’s and finish his journey on foot. This pioneer preacher and the two or three others who immediately succeeded him were promised the sum of $100 by the parish for clothes and books, in addition to which their horses and themselves were to be fed by the parishioners. But they seldom received the whole of the promised yearly sum of $100 in cash, so poor were the people they served in those days.

Read Full Post »

Rev. Edmund Shepard

Marriages:

17 October 17, 1847, at Bytown, Rev. William ANDREWS, Wesleyan Methodist Minister,
to Armanella HOSKINS, step-daughter of John BURROWS, all of Bytown by Rev. Edmund Shepherd

July 7, 1848, George ARNOLD and Jane McCULLOUGH, both of Nepean by Rev. Edmund Shepherd

October 10, 1848, William Walter BROWN, to Eliza PALMER both of Bytown by Rev. E. Shepherd

November 7, 1848, C.A. BURPEE, merchant, and Mary, only daughter of William BOWLES,
both of Bytown by Rev, E. Shepherd

Charges:

1838-1839  Newmarket (Simcoe Cty), 1847-1848Bytown

Read Full Post »

Rev. Henry Schaler

Charges:

1829 Albion (Simcoe Cty)

Read Full Post »

1919AITerryBerryRev. Arthur Isaac Terryberry B.A. was baptized in the Wesleyan Methodist church Pickering  on May 14, 1866 by Rev. G. H. Cornish. (Arthur Isaac, son of Isaac and Jane Terryberry.) He married Laura Mill Treble, April 22, 1899 at Toronto

He was a Methodist minister, and was generally referred to as the “Rev. A. I. Terryberry”.

Rev A.I. Terryberry officiated at death of David S. Hagey, d. 23 Aug 1914 at Preston, ON.

He served as a witness (Rev. A. I. Terryberry of Burford) at the marriage of George Stalley of Brantford and Ellen White, 30 Jul 1889 in Burford Village.

September 2, 1915 Acton Free Press

RevAITerryBerrycropped

1901 Canadian census, Port Rowan  Norfolk Co., ON,
Rev A. I. Terryberry, head, b. 27 Apr 1866 ON, eth German, Meth, minister
Laurie Terryberry, wife, b. 18 Jun 1870 ON, eth English, Meth

1911 Canadian census, Grimsby, Lincoln Co., ON Depot St.

Rev. Arthur I. Terryberry, b. Apr 1866 age 45, b. ON, eth German, Methodist, clergyman
Laura M. Terryberry, wife, b. Jun 1870 age 40, b. ON, eth German, Methodist
Mary L. Terryberry, dau, b. Jun 1902 age 8, b. ON, eth German, Methodist
J. Douglas Terryberry, son, b. Jun 1905 age 5, b. ON, eth German, Methodist
[Living with a domestic, Lilly Given, age 23.]

Charges:

1901 Port Rowan (Norfolk Cty), 1911 Grimsby (Lincoln Cty), 1914 Preston (Waterloo Cty), 1915 Acton (Halton Cty), 1916 Hope Methodist (York Cty)

Read Full Post »

Rev. Peter Bryce was born near Glasgow into a working-class Scotish family in 1869. He later became a Methodist clergyman after immigrating to Canada in 1903.

For most of his career he ministered to the skilled working-class community living around the railway neighbourhood of Earlscourt in Toronto.

He was one of the founding members of the Toronto Neighbourhood Workers Association and as its president between 1916 and 1919 he lobbied for mothers’ pensions.

Rev. Peter Bryce was a reform-oriented Methodist minister in the community of Earlescourt in Toronto, Ontario. Throughout his career he worked on social reform and was particularly well-known for his work with low-income families and for the cause of prohibition. He wrote numerous articles pertaining to the social conditions of Toronto’s working class and served as the Moderator of the United Church of Canada from 1936-1938.

Earlscourt 1910

The spiritual leader of the Earlscourt Community during these difficult times was the Rev. Peter Bryce. Each night, Bryce would trek through Earlscourt’s muddy streets, aided only by a lantern, and a pair of high boots. His visits were said to have offered hope and inspiration to many families.

Rev. Bryce died on December 1, 1950 in Ottawa

RevPeterBryceObitDec1-1950

Charges:

1910 Earlscourt (East York) 1918 Central Methodist Church – Ascot Ave (York Cty), 1923 Woodbine Heights (East York)

Read Full Post »

The history of the congregation goes back to a Sunday School class conducted in the open air in the summer of 1916 by Mrs. Gibson of Hope Methodist Church. (We have been well called, ‘a Child of Hope!’). In the fall a cottage was rented from a Mrs. Wolfe. Rev. Roscoe Smith took charge, and Rev. A.I. Terryberry of Hope Methodist Church visited.

In April 1918, the Methodist Union bought a lot at the corner of Gledhill and Lumsden, and a portable Mission Church was erected which opened May 5, 1918. (Mrs. Florence Simpson (nee Thorton) was number 13 of 13 original members.)

In later years, Rev. Ernest Rands looked back with affection on this little white frame building surrounded by scattered homes. The rural setting explains the importance of the Harvest Home service in those early days. This Church was known as the Gledhill Avenue Methodist Church. It was not always weatherproof as we hear of at least one service when umbrellas had to be used inside the building.

Adam Beck (later Sir Adam) founder of Hydro, held a meeting in this Church. It was packed. He was accompanied by his beautiful daughter.

Rev. J. Stoodley came September 1, 1918. He was rememberedin later yars as being fond of the stuttering song ‘K-K-K-Katie’,

Rev. R.C. Burton came in September 1920 and put on the drive for a new church which culminated in the purchase of four lots at the corner of Woodbine and McMichael (now known as Mortimer), and the laying of the cornerstone on October 8, 1921 by Mr. W.W. Hiltz, Controller of the City of Toronto.

The basement was excavated by Charles Thornton, brother of Mrs. Florence Simpson.

The Church was opened on New Year’s Day, 1922. Among the parishioners were Mr. and Mrs Slimmon, parents of Mr. Carl Slimmon, present custodian, who is thus a link with our early history.

The Church at thsi time was known as the Woodbine Heights Methodist Church.

Its first historian was Mr. W.C. Curtis, a copy of whose history was placed in the cornerstone.

Rev. Joseph R. Real came until June of 1923. He had been, for twenty-five years, a missionary in China.

The Church was ready for the next epoch of its history

Reconstruction

This began September 3, 1923, with the coming of a very remarkable man, Rev. Peter Bryce, who is said to have ‘graced and room he entered’.

He had been instrumental in starting the Star Christmas Fund as far back as 1906, and now he put his great energiesinto building up this Church. His salary at first was only one hundred dollars a month. In November, twenty-five dollars was realized from a  lecture on Newfoundland by Rev. Archer Wallace, the well know Canadian autor, who was summer supply the next year.

In 1925, Rev Bryce founded the Woodbine Brotherhood and donated a set of Carpet Bowls. The same year Union was accomplished and the Church took up the name Woodbine Avenue United Church.

During the preceeding two years, congregations had grown five or six times, making necessary the reconstructionof the Church by adding wings to the original structure.

The cornerstone was laid on January 30, 1926 by Mrs. D.A. Dunlop who had contributed generously to the building fund.

Church architect was John Charles Batstone Horwood (1864-1938)

Evening services were held at the Prince of Wales Theatre with one thousand people attending.

Trustees of the Church were Thomas Munro, W. Thomas, Henry Slade (secretary of the Board and an outstanding layman), J. Craig, and Charles Courtney.

The address was given by the veryRev. George Pigeon, first Moderatorof the United Church, and the preacher of the evening service was Rev. James Endicott, also destined to be Moderator. Rev. Mr. Bryce, within ten years was to occupy the same high position.

While here, he lived at 358 Wolverleigh Blvd., which qualified it for title of ‘The Old Manse’. Up to the time of his death in 1950, he never forgot Woodbine and he came back often for special services. For many years he was Minister of Metropolitan United Church.

The land on which the church stands, was originally part of Lot 7 in the second concession from the Bay of York Township. It is of interest to note that this lot belonged as early as 1820 to Samuel Sinclair, no doubt the same man who gave the site of Don Mills Church, as related in the valuable history of that Church compiled by the Rev. J.C. McDonald and belonging to the same famous clan as Woodbine’s present Minister. …1974 Historical Notes by T.B. Higginson

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »